Vredestein tires?

Hi,

What is the quality of Vredestein tires? Specifically the Hi Trac touring tire? I see they are made in Hungary. Any thoughts?

568 - 4 1/2 star reviews over on Tirerack on the tire you are asking about.

568 - 4 1/2 star reviews over on Tirerack on the tire you are asking about.
I am aware of that. Not sure I trust those reviews though. I am asking what members here think of the tire and the brand. It is considered a top quality tire?

Consumer Reports did a test on one of their all weather tires (soft rubber) that had a tread life warranty of 40k miles. They were able to get 60k miles out of them before they needed replacement. Wear was even and tire received very good performance reviews.

@edyvw on thoughts on these?

Also scroll down to bottom of your thread and look under "similar threads" for more info on the company. Seems like a quality tire to me and on my short list of contenders.

Last edited:
I asked the tire salesman at Discount Tire if I could order a set. He said Vredestein had a deal with Tire Rack to sell in the US. He did say I could have the tires shipped to DT for mounting. TR and DT have a commercial arrangement. Sales guy did say they were a quality tire and very popular.

I had Vredestein Quatracs on my Escape. Best tire I’ve ever had across any vehicle. Got them from tire rack.

Edit: I was on track to get at least the rated lifespan out of them if not more despite the fact I never rotate tires and I'm sometimes quite hard on my vehicles (driving fast, assertively, to put it nicely). But I sold the vehicle while they still had lots of life left.

When it comes time for tires on the Volt I’ve pretty much already decided on Vredestein as well!

Last edited:
Great tires.

have used Vredestein on various classics since the 80's as they were one of the few, and only for a while, supplier that made tires in certain orphan sizes. I currently am on the 3rd set of Sprint Classics on our TR6 and just put a set of their Sprint + on our '96 911, and the Boxster S will get them next year. I do find they use softer compounds, which is fine with me.

Parents had snow tires made by them in the 80s. I can remember the tread. Seemed more friendly for performance

1693921032513.jpg

Even as all seasons they are better for snow have a set on my insight because it was the only size that fit.

Lost some fuel economy

Hi,

What is the quality of Vredestein tires? Specifically the Hi Trac touring tire? I see they are made in Hungary. Any thoughts?
Old Dutch brand. They are made in Hungary, like numerous other high quality products.
Are they on pr Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone or Pirelli? I don’t think so. Are they top quality tire? Yes. Are some of their tires better than tires from brands I mentioned? Yes.
When you buy Vredestein, you are buying top quality product.

There's a nice rebate on these right now for $100 off for the next two weeks on Tirerack.com and other retailers. Some of their tires have $150 off rebates.

I've heard excellent things about their tires. I've yet to try them, but maybe I should change that.

Hi,

They are great tires. I'm running Quatrac's on my Miata. It's NOT listed in the Vredestein US website, but IS listed in the English version. I just did some serious driving, into Dallas for a Miata fix-it-up. Fast, serious driving, the Quatrac's are serious tires. Also made in Hungary. Tire rack sells them, but only for Miata's. Wait, I should say they only sell the Quatrac's in the Miata NA and NB size of 195-50-15. Shipped to our local Discount Tire for install. They share an owner, I think.

Vredestein seems to make quality tires :)

They're more known for their bicycle tires, but they recently started expanding their car tire lineup a lot.

In car tires, their biggest contribution is making the first all-season tire to carry the 3-peak symbol, now widely referred to as all-weather, when they launched the original Quatrac from 30 years ago. However, the category didn't catch on until Nokian released their WR series here, which seems to be the most widely-known tire of that type, or at least it was until Michelin's CrossClimate came out!

Vredestein used to sell their entire tire lineup here, until they started making US-specific tires.

There's probably nothing wrong with the Hi Trac touring though

A friend of mine had an early 200 series Volvo for a very long time. 1970's to about 1990. He was dedicated to the Vredestein tires the entire time. They were available at reasonable cost from mail/phone order from ads in Road & Track and such. He used the Sprint classic tire with the Grip classic on the rear in Winter. That rwd Volvo did get around very well in snow.

I would suspect that the Vredestein tires 40+ years ago were sourced different from today. Yes, those Quatracs have been around for a long time. A family member used a set on a Wagoneer years ago. Great traction but quick wear, which is to be expected.

I used to mail/phone order Avon's from the importer in Baltimore, ages ago. Great tires and quite cheap. They were an early version of an all season radial before that had really become common.

Back