Volume discount pricing for oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided on getting a box Wix 57712 filters for my WRX. I bought a couple from Amazon at $7.49 a pop plus tax now that Amazon has agreed to charge tax and build distribution centers in California). However, I figure I have this car for the long haul (or at least more Subarus) and got a case of 12 from Discount Fleet Supply for about $48 and shipping. So that's about $61 shipped and it arrived yesterday.

Makes me wonder why the retail price is so high. Amazon, O'Reilly, AutoZone, etc. seem to have this filter at exactly the same $7.49 price. I found a few places online that sold for less, but shipping was just ridiculous. And this place is selling the same thing in dicount for a bit over half what most places sell it for.

I do remember getting a discount once for some Honda OEM filters. They were Toyo Roki made in Japan and I got a mere 10% off for buying four and paying cash.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am looking to do 18K OCI on my Cummins diesel, so 12 would be a bit much. But can always buy 12 and sell 6 on Amazon.

What would you use - a 51607 or 51620? I heard the only difference is the latter has flutes for a cap wrench while the original version is a straight can that needs another kind of wrench like a band/claw/cam.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix51607.html

Apparently they sell the 51620 as a single.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix51620.html

I would use the 51607 as that what was called out when I looked it up. In my engine, there is a metal AC (I think) line about 3/4" of an inch below the filter so very difficult to put on a cap wrench. But plenty of room for a band or strap wrench. Its a vertical filter that Cummins says to fill with oil before installation.

After fooling with my cars for 43+ years I have a pile of tools to get off oil filters.

Its made easier by never using an oil filter wrench to tighten. I get it as tight as my 2 hands can make it but no tighter.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would use the 51607 as that what was called out when I looked it up. In my engine, there is a metal AC (I think) line about 3/4" of an inch below the filter so very difficult to put on a cap wrench. But plenty of room for a band or strap wrench. Its a vertical filter that Cummins says to fill with oil before installation.

After fooling with my cars for 43+ years I have a pile of tools to get off oil filters.

Its made easier by never using an oil filter wrench to tighten. I get it as tight as my 2 hands can make it but no tighter.

I've got a Lisle band wrench somewhere. Even though it was the smallest size they had, it's not small enough for most of the import-make filters I try taking off. Last time I couldn't remove a small filter I got a cam-style wrench at AZ. Even though that will take off most small filters, I decided to get a 65/67mm 14-flute cap wrench for $3 at WM. I figured it would be a good tool to have. I just wish I could find my old tool box. I had some of the old Flo-Tool composite cap wrenchs including ones that I used on assorted import and GM oil filters. I remember once I bought a case of Wix 51334 filters and just bought a $7 Lisle cap wrench on a whim when I saw it at a parts store.

Still - what I've got is probably all I need for all the oil filters that I'm likely to try taking off anytime soon. The claw will work on anything at least 3" in diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back