Volkswagen Jetta vs. Toyota Corolla ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have driven both and will give you my picky findings:
The Jetta has a more solid sounding door. I prefer the six speed auto in the Jetta for the feel, however the Corolla's CVT isn't all that bad. It will be quite smooth, but it can push the revs a little higher. I find that the torque in the Jetta is great, but I ultimately would prefer the reliability and cheaper maintenance of the 2ZR for long term. Yes, the CVT will require fluid changes, but I would never trust the lifetime fluid in the VW's transmission. One big thing about the Corolla is that it includes Toyota Safety Sense P, which has the blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning and autonomous braking, lane departure warning, and correction. This is a big plus for insurance rates since it can prevent quite a few accidents. This is standard on the Corolla.
Jetta: The Jetta will be slightly quieter, more low end torque and slightly better acceleration, and more comfortable front seats.
Corolla: Reliability, resale value, Toyota Safety Sense-P, and great factory headlights.
I would also recommend looking at the new Civic with the 2.0 and the CVT.

OP though you have settled down with 2 vehicles, my take is there are comparable cars than them on the compact segment

Cruz, Mazada 3, Civic etc.

Now if you were to choose between the 2, I would go with a Corolla and CVTs are there for a reason.
Sooner or later the automatics will move towards CVTs.
I believe the CVT in Toyotas may be a joint-venture between Jatco-Asin (Nissan CVTs & automatics are known for their reliability)

If you drive to the mountains, the Corolla is just weak. It does have single zone automatic AC in the higher trims, and I've always found Toyotas to blow colder air than VW's.

One thing to consider is infotainment. the higher trims of the Jetta have App-Connect (Carplay//Android Auto/Mirrorlink) suite. It's a deal breaker for me now, compared to Toyota's stubbornness to keep their EnTune system.

The Jetta also uses a Aisin transmission, so you'll need to use a Toyota WS compatible fluid and change it around every 50,000 miles. Not to mention the IVD of direct injection.

Get a VCDS or OBD-eleven, and you can customize the Jetta further and unlock features, like remote window opening/closing.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
https://www.truedelta.com/Toyota-Corolla-vs-Volkswagen-Jetta-reliability-comparison,266-280

"The Corolla... will likely last the longest while requiring the fewest repairs. Few other models in TrueDelta's car reliability survey have been as consistently reliable."

I find CVT's awful, like driving a giant golf cart. The feeling tends to get worse, not better, as the miles rack up. Not sure where Toyota get's their CVT's, but other makes have a tendency to take a dump without the slightest warning.

CVT alone would kill it for me. Blech!

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
I believe the CVT in Toyotas may be a joint-venture between Jatco-Asin (Nissan CVTs & automatics are known for their reliability)

No. Aisin designs and manufactures their own CVTs. They are not rookies in CVT design/development/manufacturing, the Prius has had a CVT since day one and it has proven to be bullet-proof. Also, keep in mind that the first car manufacturer to design and use a CVT in a car was Subaru and Toyota owns controlling interest in Subaru. Jatco's CVT design originally came from Subaru (remember, Nissan used to own controlling interest in Subaru) so some of the basic engineering is very similar between the Aisin and Jatco CVTs.

Thus far from what I'm reading here, (and other places), if I find after driving the Corolla CVT that it is not objectionable, I'm inclined to go with it. Everything else on the Corolla is, and has been proven to be reliable. (Engine, A/C, electrical, electronical, etc.). And it appears the only durable good in existence, that there have been more manufactured of, are AK-47's. And it would appear the Corolla is almost as reliable.

I really like the Jetta. But seeing as I'm going to drive this thing until either the wheels fall off, or I die, I'm thinking the Jetta just isn't all that reliable over time and high mileage. At least compared to the odds of owning the Corolla over the same length of time. And I don't want a manual transmission. I really appreciate everyone's opinion.

To me in this segment the reliability is very similar.
So, here is another angle.
With VW you are getting fairly new technology that delivers good HP and fuel economy and given their recent scandal they will probably be more willing to deal.

With Corolla on the other hand, you are dealing with almost 20 year old engine technology and a brand new, unknown CVT, yet Toyota still wants a premium for this ancient car.

So, do you want new tech at competitive price with similar reliability or old tech at premium price with proven engine but unknown tranny?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

No. Aisin designs and manufactures their own CVTs. They are not rookies in CVT design/development/manufacturing, the Prius has had a CVT since day one and it has proven to be bullet-proof. Also, keep in mind that the first car manufacturer to design and use a CVT in a car was Subaru and Toyota owns controlling interest in Subaru. Jatco's CVT design originally came from Subaru (remember, Nissan used to own controlling interest in Subaru) so some of the basic engineering is very similar between the Aisin and Jatco CVTs.

The "CVT" in a Prius hardly qualifies as a transmission. I'd go as far as to say it doesn't, at least not in the normal automotive convention, as there's no gears for it to shift through, no ratios that can change. All it does is sum ICE and electric motor shafts to drive the wheels.

I rented a 2017 Corolla last year for a 800 mile trip. It was a really nice little commuter. I averaged 42MPG over that 800 mile trip, it was 98% highway. The CVT was hardly even noticeable, not "rubber bandy" at all like the Nissan CVT's I have driven.

If you are going to take it on any long trips do an extended test drive. I loved the first few hundred miles, after that my back was killing me. The seats were unfortunately the worst I ave ever used.

I also owned a 2012 VW Sportwagen. Loved that car, it was very comfortable and felt very solid, more solid than the Corolla for sure. Never had any issues with it either.

If I were shopping for a car in that price range, i'd also look at Kia and Hyundai. I owned a 07 Elantra that gave me 5 years and 127K trouble free miles. Nothing besides normal maintenance and one front sway bar link.

Even with all of my yapping in this thread, I must admit that I entertained the thought of a Jetta with the 1.4T & 6spd auto. I don't think that I'd need the 1.8T for my driving style or my family.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
The "CVT" in a Prius hardly qualifies as a transmission. I'd go as far as to say it doesn't, at least not in the normal automotive convention, as there's no gears for it to shift through, no ratios that can change. All it does is sum ICE and electric motor shafts to drive the wheels.

Yes, it is a different design than other CVTs, but it IS a CVT and it DOES change ratios. Toyota calls it e-CVT Hybrid Synergy Drive. It doesn't use a belt like other CVTs, it uses a 2.5:1 planetary gear set and epicyclic gear set (also called a "power split device", technically a differential) that adjust and blend the amount of torque from the engine and traction motor(s) as needed by the front wheels. Drive ratios from 2.5:1 down to 1:1 are achieved by varying the amount of power delivered by the electric motor(s) through the epicyclic gear set.
What the Prius transmission does is demonstrate Aisin's technical ability to design and build reliable/durable CVT transmissions.

Last edited:
Ah, they must have changed it over the years then. Apologies. I recall it being a fixed ratio affair, very similar to the setup inside of a differential.

Ah, they must have changed it over the years then. Apologies. I recall it being a fixed ratio affair, very similar to the setup inside of a differential.

You are correct. The first generation Prius did use a fixed ratio transmission.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I know what you mean!
I test drove a Mazda3 & Civic in Scottsdale and I had a hard time getting away. But, I was strong!

When I test a car, I let the sales rep know that I am looking at the competition and this is my starting spot. "I JUST WANT TO TEST DRIVE THE CAR. YOU CAN COME ALONG BUT, DON'T TALK UNLESS I HAVE A QUESTION!"...I just want to feel the driving dynamics(or lack of) in the car, ride/quiet, tightness, comfort etc. I don't want to talk about the infotainment system. I learn it later. "And don't mention money to me or I'm out'a here! Be firm, you're never gonna see these people again, EVER!

I say this to all of the consultants that I meet with and I take/drive the car on the route that I want, not the route that they suggest(smooth road). Then after about 30 or so minutes of driving, I give'em back the keys and say, "I'll call you when I'm ready to buy". "Don't call me or email me or you'll lose the sale before we've even begun". "There are too many other dealers selling the same cars that I can choose".

Be stronger than them!

I sold Mazda's briefly in the 1990s.

You want to get paid in/for your profession, but you don't want salespeople to get paid for their work.

You don't want to be mistreated, but you have no problem mistreating salespeople.

That's basically what you're saying.

OP: my Wife recently rented a Corolla, and it's CVT was a lot less obtrusive than other CVT's I have had experienced. Toyota's CVT's seem quite reliable. The CVT didn't lug, but was unobtrusive, and at highway speeds, it kept the RPM's low. For a small car, the Corolla seemed pretty torguey too, which kept engine speeds down.

Why not rent a Corolla for a day? Should run you no more than $50. On the other hand, if I were in your shoes, I would opt for a standard transmission.

I, like you, keep my cars for a long time. No one will ever sell me on the long term longevity of a multi speed (or CVT) automatic, even with proper maintenance.

When my Ranger dies (currently at 200k with a trouble free standard transmission), I will be replacing her with same.

Originally Posted By: wag123

Yes, it is a different design than other CVTs, but it IS a CVT and it DOES change ratios. Toyota calls it e-CVT Hybrid Synergy Drive. It doesn't use a belt like other CVTs, it uses a 2.5:1 planetary gear set and epicyclic gear set (also called a "power split device", technically a differential) that adjust and blend the amount of torque from the engine and traction motor(s) as needed by the front wheels. Drive ratios from 2.5:1 down to 1:1 are achieved by varying the amount of power delivered by the electric motor(s) through the epicyclic gear set.
What the Prius transmission does is demonstrate Aisin's technical ability to design and build reliable/durable CVT transmissions.

You cannot compare the CVT fond in Prius to the belt driven CVTs. That's like comparing a manual gearbox to a DCT one. They are not the same when it comes to complexity, durability and reliability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NDL
I, like you, keep my cars for a long time. No one will ever sell me on the long term longevity of a multi speed (or CVT) automatic, even with proper maintenance.

I'll tell you what. You come over to my house and convince my wife she needs a stick instead of an automatic.... And I'll gladly buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back