2010 Avalon vs 2013 Corolla

Doing some car shopping and narrowed down to these two. Very different kinds of cars I know!

Corolla has 61k miles and is 12500, Avalon has 68k and is 13500(would try to negotiate down). They are both very clean cars for the age. Basically I'm looking for reliability mostly. The Avalon obviously would be nicer to drive, so advantage there. The Corolla would likely average 5-7mpg more so advantage there.

Some general opinions appreciated, I know they're different cars but let's have some fun with it :)

The vehicles in your sig are more in line with the Avalon. I myself would take the Avalon any day. The Corolla is appropriate for a miser, college kid, or teenager.

How long do you plan to keep it?

The Avalon can be $$$ to have worked on and it is almost 15 years old. You can expect to be hit with the usual wear and tear items pretty soon.
Good point, I would keep it for 5+ years. I took that into account and was attracted to this one due to the low mileage and good maintenance history. Do you think it could get costly? I do most of my own work but some larger things I may not.

Good point, I would keep it for 5+ years. I took that into account and was attracted to this one due to the low mileage and good maintenance history. Do you think it could get costly? I do most of my own work but some larger things I may not.
After a certain point, low mileage isn't always a good thing. You're looking at a 15 year old car with 68K; even with low mileage, there is a lot of age-related deterioration and wear. You're likely going to be fixing oil leaks (e.g. resealing timing covers and valve covers), rebooting CV axles, replacing lower control arms, etc.; no different than a 2010 with 150K.

After a certain point, low mileage isn't always a good thing. You're looking at a 15 year old car with 68K; even with low mileage, there is a lot of age-related deterioration and wear. You're likely going to be fixing oil leaks (e.g. resealing timing covers and valve covers), rebooting CV axles, replacing lower control arms, etc.; no different than a 2010 with 150K.
Hey that's helpful, I appreciate it (y)

The Corolla is the better choice here. I'd only pick the Avalon if it's the hybrid. You really don't want to have to work on the transverse V6 (the hybrid has an I4).

How about something like the HS250h? It has the better fuel economy of the Corolla but also has a nicer ride like the Avalon. There's also the Camry hybrid.

The build quality of the Avalon will be better but its transverse V6 will be a hassle. It was probably treated better, by an older adult, with more money for maintenance.

IMO the sweet spot is a 4 cyl camry, LOL.

Had a 2010 Avalon. Amazing car. Lots of power, lots of space, and 31-32MPG on the highway without even trying. That's with 2 adults, 2 kids, and full trunk of stuff. Around town it rarely got below 24MPG. Loved taking that car on vacations. Only sold it because it got a little tight for us, and needed the money to buy a house. Otherwise definitely would've kept it. It's replacement (2009 Honda Pilot FWD) is definitely more spacious and makes family trips easier, but MPG is 17-19 in town and 23-24MPG highway.

Last edited:
What little I do know about both cars I'd choose the Avalon. I'm fairly sure it's the more "Premium" car vs Corolla but if looking at reliability their both a Toyota. I think you already know which one to buy. ;)

The 2010 Avalon for sure.

Avalon-1.jpeg
Avalon-2.jpeg

I owned a 2010 Corolla for 5 years. Perhaps the most recalled Corolla ever. It was reliable. I did not like the 4 speed automatic, downshifts at highway speeds I found annoying. The steering was vague at best. In town not bad, on the highway it was not much fun. The trunk lid was lightly sprung and would fall on you. I thought the visibility was poor. Looking around in traffic was an issue. Drivers seating was good. It was a bit noisy inside. Perhaps by 2013 they had fixed a few of my complaints.

Back