Virgin STP MAXIMUM LIFE Filter #S-3614ML CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The real question is, is it better than a Purolator Boss, Wix XP, or Fram Ultra?

Looks like maybe a rebadged Purolator BOSS (full synthetic - maybe different media?). Can has a Purolator date code, so definately Purolator built.

Yes it's a Purolator, if you view the box picture the Tech Hot line telephone number is Purolator's, I wonder is that commercial account packing and not in the store level?
Thanks TOTO.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Although I didn't ask for the media cutting we all need to thank car51 for going the extra mile and funding the project. Thanks Adam!!!!

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I would like to know if the two layers are different material or if they both are fully synthetic. Why two completely separate layers of media instead of just one fused together as in a synthetic blend media filter such as Mobil 1 or Pure One? Could this be a new technology?

Last edited:
OK, I’m going to take a chance on the STP Maxlife oil filter. AutoZone is running a special on Valvoline Advanced Synthetic Oil and STP Maxlife oil filters. I got the S2808ML for my KIA Optima and the Valvoline for my Ford. From my initial observation, Purolator has addressed the burrs on the baseplate holes and the cutting of the ADBV by those holes. Would I buy this filter if it were not on special? NO! Would I use this or any other Purolator made oil filter on my Ford? NO! No baseplate end bypass valve make them a NO GO on the Ford. I have 4,500 miles to go before the next oil change for the KIA. I’m waiting for the incoming flack.
I looked at the STP Xtended Life oil filter (S2808XL) It is a Chinese produced Mann+Hummel that appears to be very close to to the Hyundai/KIA OE filter in appearance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
.....I looked at the STP Xtended Life oil filter (S2808XL) It is a Chinese produced Mann+Hummel......

Got a link/source to M&H being the new manufacturer of the XL? First I've seen that information posted.

When they were manufactured in Korea, the were made by Deawha.

As an aside, none of the AZ STP variants provide the popular 7317 application, only the downsized shorty 6607.

I don’t need a link, I’ve seen enough Hyundai/KIA oil filters to know what I’m looking at. I just put an OE on my Optima last week, it was stamped Mann+Hummel. The only differences I noticed with the STP Xtended Life were no Flying H stamped on the bypass and the paint scheme. And, made in China on the box.

Last edited:
I believe that Mparr is quite correct in that Mann Hummel has taken over the STP oil filter manufacturing. Seriously. Somewhere along the line about 5-7 months ago it happened. It was posted somewhere in this section. Where?? Or by who I don't know. But it was seen as a change in who made those STP filters.

Last edited:
Mann+Hummel has been expanding in China since 2015. They have established a headquarters in Shanghai, known as Mann+Hummel Trading. By the way, the standard STP filters on the shelf appear to be old Champion Labs sourced.

Sayjac
I’m going to post a picture 901Memphis took of the STP Xtended Life oil filter put up on this sight on 8/22/15. This is the earlier version of the filter. Notice the orange colored gasket and the baseplate having no stamping code. The newer version (China made) has the exact gasket style of the Mann+Hummel produced Hyundai/KIA OE filters. The baseplate on the newer version has the capital letter M stamped on the baseplate.

I have mentioned that the STP S2808XL (Xtended Life) is a Chinese made Mann+Hummel. In fact it is an exact copy of the Purolator One PL14459 except for the paint scheme. Thank you Car51 for the work you do here. And, thank you for a previous C&P I am going to reference.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4474532/Purolator_P1_PL14459,_12,600_m

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
Sayjac
I’m going to post a picture 901Memphis took of the STP Xtended Life oil filter put up on this sight on 8/22/15. This is the earlier version of the filter. Notice the orange colored gasket and the baseplate having no stamping code. The newer version (China made) has the exact gasket style of the Mann+Hummel produced Hyundai/KIA OE filters. The baseplate on the newer version has the capital letter M stamped on the baseplate.

Here's a 2808ML with "M" stamped on the baseplate that's made in the USA, not China. I bought quite a bit of oil change specials from AZ recently and the 2808XL do say "made in China". When they ran out of the 2808XL, the ML was substituted in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back