Virgin STP MAXIMUM LIFE Filter #S-3614ML CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the cut media pics!
thumbsup2.gif

Definitely not worth $12, or even $9. It doesn't seem to be a reboxed Purolator Boss, which has the plastic mesh backing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The real question is, is it better than a Purolator Boss, Wix XP, or Fram Ultra?

Looks like maybe a rebadged Purolator BOSS (full synthetic - maybe different media?). Can has a Purolator date code, so definately Purolator built.

The Boss has that plastic mesh backing, which this STP Max doesn't.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Boss has that plastic mesh backing, which this STP Max doesn't.

I couldn't tell looking at the photos on my cell phone.

Anyone know the published efficiency? Didn't see anything on the box photo.

Originally Posted By: car51

The louvers didn't look very open to me; anyone else notice this?

I'll stick with FRAM ultra

That was my first thought too, but hard to tell with the angle and light. I found myself tilting my head like a dog listening to a strange whistle. We haven't seen any poorly formed louveres lately, but I imagine there are still problem children out there.

Yeah Zee0six that was my first question the other day when I looked at one in AZ. I will just stay with the 10k mile one that is 99% at 20 microns. Though I wonder if that will change given that MH took over for South Korea manufacturer.

Looks ok, but not $12.69 ok. It's interesting that it is not a Boss clone, but looks to be something completely different other Puro labeled filters. Unlike the STP XL, currently no efficiency rating on the topic filter box.

And like all the AZ STP filters no matter manufacturer, no popular 7317 size, just shorty 6607.

Thanks for c&p.

Yeah, Sayjac for $12 they can keep it

I'm looking at Wal Mart back home where real dad lives for some "clearance" TG filters
smile.gif

Stopped by two local NAPAs yesterday looking for on sale brake cleaner. Asked about semi annual 40% off Gold sale, both said October sometime. Makes them <$4 each. They'll easily do 7500 miles ime.

The dots on the media maybe are mini bypass filters, which some have said could be done? (me)
smile.gif
Or just so they could tell what white media went to stp? The dots are different for sure. The adbv looks uncut, and the inlet holes are further out like they used to be. It's expensive but $2 more for USA made over Korea isn't bad. Looks like a unique filter in some ways. Don't like the glue drip near the bypass valve.
So to verify, this has two completely separate media layers, the white and the yellow?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The dots on the media ...

So to verify, this has two completely separate media layers, the white and the yellow?

If there's two media layers then the "dots" are probably where the two layers are fused together for structural integrity since this media doesn't seem to have any kind of backing.

If there's two media layers then the "dots" are probably where the two layers are fused together for structural integrity since this media doesn't seem to have any kind of backing.

Maybe, but two distinct lavers of media are shown stretched out. At first I thought it was a comparison of this filter to another filter. Who knows.

Maybe, but two distinct lavers of media are shown stretched out. At first I thought it was a comparison of this filter to another filter. Who knows.

Car51 should be able to clarify if those "dots" bonded the two media layers together or not when he separated the layers.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Nice photos, but make mine a Fram Ultra. How many of these does Autozone sell at $12 plus?

Nothing against the STP, but i'm with you on this. When push comes to shove, the FramXG for roughly $9 is hard to beat.

Thanks car51, as aslways.

You mean the Fram Ultra right?

Car51 should be able to clarify if those "dots" bonded the two media layers together or not when he separated the layers.

The dots are made into media so I dunno what purpose they serve.

I snagged 3 WIX filters that are spec' for my Camry for$4~ each this morning

The dots are made into media so I dunno what purpose they serve.

When you separated the two layers, was there any bonding between layers at the dot locations?

Didn't see any honestly.
Maybe Purolator knows something I dont

It's probably how Purolator makes the two layers stay lined up in place together during manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back