Victim of a hit & run today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, and of course there are many who just don't care, but if it happened to them they would want justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Just a word of advice for others on here: No matter how old your car is, at least keep Comprehensive insurance coverage on it. My Jeep has it with glass coverage and a $50 deductible. Costs an extra $3 a month with Geico.

I seriously have to doubt that adding comp with $50 deductible costs $36yr. Maybe the glass coverage alone with $50 deductible does.

And if that's the cost for glass, I think considering how many Id had to replace, Ill self insure, even if they guarantee OE marked glass from a dealer.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm an ASU student and was sitting in my Jeep in the parking garage waiting to leave for class. All of a sudden the car next to me starts rocking back and forth. Someone tried pulling in and did the same thing that happened to your car to the car next to me, then they pulled out and took off. I chased them down and wrote down their license plate and called ASU police and left a note for the car.

Just a word of advice for others on here: No matter how old your car is, at least keep Comprehensive insurance coverage on it. My Jeep has it with glass coverage and a $50 deductible. Costs an extra $3 a month with Geico.

I saw the same thing happen when I was at work. Car pulled into a parking spot, the car next to it was rocking back and forth and the car pulled out and took off. This happened in a parking lot at the HQ of NJ State Police. Guess the trooper assumed he hit another trooper's state owned car and didn't want to deal with it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I seriously have to doubt that adding comp with $50 deductible costs $36yr. Maybe the glass coverage alone with $50 deductible does.

And if that's the cost for glass, I think considering how many Id had to replace, Ill self insure, even if they guarantee OE marked glass from a dealer.
$16.90 for 6 months, $2.82 a month. It's still on my grandparent's policy, $17.24 for 6 months for the Trailblazer with glass and $50 deductible too.

Not gonna worry fixing it as I have PL/PD insurance. Just gonna try to rub out the white paint rub off. Thankfully I consider this a beater anyway.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That doesn’t look like the usual parking scrape. They hit you fairly hard. I also would guess drunk or drugged.

A lot of sober people who are to lazy to look where they are going when they back up.

What I would do. Pull out the liner,place a towel over the inside of the panel,and gently use a rubber mallet to pound out the damage.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm an ASU student and was sitting in my Jeep in the parking garage waiting to leave for class. All of a sudden the car next to me starts rocking back and forth. Someone tried pulling in and did the same thing that happened to your car to the car next to me, then they pulled out and took off. I chased them down and wrote down their license plate and called ASU police and left a note for the car.

That does not fit the definition of something covered under comprehensive. Comprehensive is for non vehicle related incidents.

Yep. Happened to me. I didn't have full coverage on the vehicle, so I was hosed.

I had an exact vehicle description and the plate. Because I couldn't identify the driver (darkness and window tint), I was SOL. Two law enforcement agencies informed me of that. My insurance carrier didn't care either.

It sucks, but it's happened to a lot of people. It happens so much because it's easy to get away with.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

I had an exact vehicle description and the plate. Because I couldn't identify the driver (darkness and window tint), I was SOL. Two law enforcement agencies informed me of that. My insurance carrier didn't care either.

Wow. What a lousy system.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Comprehensive is for non vehicle related incidents.

This.

Nick is right about why it is good to carry it, but comprehensive won't cover what the OP has for damage since it was clearly caused by another vehicle. If the video footage doesn't reveal the driver's info, the OP will be on the hook for the damage. Uninsured motorist coverage could be applicable, but it depends on OP's deductible and if the damage is enough to consider using the policy, rates going up, etc. Uninsured motorist coverage is also not required in all states.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Yep. Happened to me. I didn't have full coverage on the vehicle, so I was hosed.

It sucks, but it's happened to a lot of people. It happens so much because it's easy to get away with.

That doesn't make much sense. I would think the owner of the vehicle is still responsible for the damage their vehicle causes and should be able to identify the driver.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

This.

Nick is right about why it is good to carry it, but comprehensive won't cover what the OP has for damage since it was clearly caused by another vehicle. If the video footage doesn't reveal the driver's info, the OP will be on the hook for the damage. Uninsured motorist coverage could be applicable, but it depends on OP's deductible and if the damage is enough to consider using the policy, rates going up, etc. Uninsured motorist coverage is also not required in all states.
Wouldn’t a hit and run be considered vandalism?

This.

No. The definition of Vandalism specifically excludes acts/incidents caused by another vehicle. What you described is an incident that requires collision coverage.

This.

There is a specific law on the books for hit & run accidents.In many places, if that accident happened on private property and no one was injured, the cops wouldn't even bother with a police report.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

$16.90 for 6 months, $2.82 a month. It's still on my grandparent's policy, $17.24 for 6 months for the Trailblazer with glass and $50 deductible too.

Got it. I see why. Their max outlay to you is around $1000-1500. Automatic total at 75% of kbb value. And this is private party value.

More or less any damage will total the vehicle in their eyes, so they're collecting your money on the gamble.

Not a dig on your vehicle. Good on you to keep a great vehicle of that era going. But insurance won't see it that way. If they give you a wholesale/trade value, then 75% of it, then $50 deductible, you may only get $500 or less out of the deal. People often self insure for that reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back