Vehicle Sighting - 1959 Chevy Biscayne 2-door sedan

A rare beast indeed. I hoped the transmission would be a 3-on-the-tree, but no.

I suspect the original engine was a 230-inch inline-6, and would bet on it having been replaced by an SBC at some point.

20230728_115213~3.jpg
20230728_115227~2.jpg
20230728_115242~2.jpg
20230728_115319.jpg

Unstable at over 125? Man. we owned a 57… skinny tires on 14” wheels with crude drum brakes all around, no aero to speak of, no sway bars, and 6” of slop in the steering wheel - people used to talk about getting these things up to 100 and I’m like… why? Today, 100 is easy in just about anything… in those… anything over 60 started to feel “unstable,” especially if you had interest in stopping!

but yes, the tail fins and body lines were elegant, absolutely.

Can't even get to 85 in my 83 Silverado before she starts to feel likes she's floating on her own and the roar of that poor 305, I know it's time to back off when I can see my life starting to flash before my eyes.:eek:

Unstable at over 125? Man. we owned a 57… skinny tires on 14” wheels with crude drum brakes all around, no aero to speak of, no sway bars, and 6” of slop in the steering wheel - people used to talk about getting these things up to 100 and I’m like… why? Today, 100 is easy in just about anything… in those… anything over 60 started to feel “unstable,” especially if you had interest in stopping!

but yes, the tail fins and body lines were elegant, absolutely.
That was back when you had to actually drive the car.
I have always loved the 59's. Kind of like the way only a Mother could love a homely child.

1) When did you learn the value of competently selected wheels?

2) With the thicker metal of the era, that vehicle would be heavy, no?

3) A Chevy car design film featured 2 guys at the rear of that car.
One made a scooping gesture in the hollow beneath the fin and above the tail light.
T'was the stupidest, most contrived inclusion I've ever seen in any film.

Looks only a mother could love, not my favorite at all. I respect that the world is a better place because we all have different opinions.
I think that’s part of the novelty of the ‘59 - it was unique and stood out.

1.5 million sold in 1959. Also optional 283 with Fuel injection 2 choices.

Those were the days!

That big trunk was good for hiding 2-3 teenagers. Both drive in movies and the Great Lakes Dragaway. That is still operating today - the oldest continuously operating dragstrip in the world. Union Grove, WI.

Last edited:
Back