Valvoline Restore & Protect

I read on hear, quite a few people recommending Valvoline Restore & Protect engine oil. With it just coming out, do you have any significant evidence of the claims it makes?
I have read on other forums where it has quieted noisy engines, looking through the valve cover is cleaner, another one is where they used a bore scope on a Toyota engine..
Curious if any of you all seen any evidence..

Thanks..

I have not seen any evidence of the claims they make. The hype has died down a bit over the last few weeks. It takes 4 OCI's for it to fully work per Valvoline. Is there a link to the Toyota you're talking about?

Valvoline claims it is their highest performing PCMO. Given that their previous flagship Extended Protection oil is likely using GTL technology, it likely is too. As far as I know, nobody yet knows the exact chemistry behind the “Restore and Protect” claims, but if there is anything to it, it is likely achieved through some sort of Group V formulation.

It appears that this line is as good as any other “top of the line” mainstream offerings, such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

I have not seen any evidence of the claims they make. The hype has died down a bit over the last few weeks. It takes 4 OCI's for it to fully work per Valvoline. Is there a link to the Toyota you're talking about?

"It's under reviews"

"It's under reviews"
Reviews that were sponsored by Valvoline and lack any factual data to support the reviewer's claims.
1713187819469.jpg

I read on hear, quite a few people recommending Valvoline Restore & Protect engine oil. With it just coming out, do you have any significant evidence of the claims it makes?
I have read on other forums where it has quieted noisy engines, looking through the valve cover is cleaner, another one is where they used a bore scope on a Toyota engine..
Curious if any of you all seen any evidence..

Thanks..
It's plausible that the Toyota in question would have experienced the same results on any synthetic compared to the "generic oil changes every 3,000 miles."

I don't think anyone has found this oil fixed or drastically reduced the amount of oil burning in an engine known for it due to ring/piston design.

Valvoline claims it is their highest performing PCMO. Given that their previous flagship Extended Protection oil is likely using GTL technology, it likely is too. As far as I know, nobody yet knows the exact chemistry behind the “Restore and Protect” claims, but if there is anything to it, it is likely achieved through some sort of Group V formulation.

It appears that this line is as good as any other “top of the line” mainstream offerings, such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
I know Extended Protection Max life is a GTL base, it doesn't appear, that Extended Protection is a GTL base or R&P. From looking at the safety data sheets

Is this marketed as a new oil engine?
Or is this marketed a high mileage engine oil?
I wouldn't see how it would be better than any other quality oil with the detergents that are in them. If this oil truly does clean then I could see how this could be beneficial to an older oil with oil and carbon deposits.

I may made comment before. Some engines use an internal bathed in oil timing belt. Depending on harsh these solvents or cleaners are in the oil it could be detrimental to a bathed in oil timing belt.
I like to see some answers from Valvoline.

You have to do a minimum of four oil changes following the manufacturer's recommended OCI for "Restore & Protect" to work. 😮‍💨
That seems reasonable, and for most folks you wouldn't really have the results for a couple years. I wish they would have had this stuff to evaluate back in the days of the Saturn 1.9 engine which would have been a good case study.

It fixed my kids Tacoma oil burning in 1 oil change. Taco is a 13 w 180ish k miles, it had just started burning and a new pcv valve didn't fix it either. It also resolved a ivvt code that was coming and going in the first oil change. Motor is clean thru the oil fill hole and was maintained by previous owner, lots of records. It worked for us, no complaints with it.

I’m planning to give R & P some runs here soon. Including some Gumout to see if it helps with the Toyota’s habitual winter dilution issues.

Likely going to try some 89/93 octane as well so we’ll see what happens.

IMG_6094.jpeg

From Valvoline- user reviews.
Before
IMG_7527.jpeg

IMG_7528.jpeg

IMG_7529.jpeg

“Recently purchased a 2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 125,000 miles on it. The Runner actually had a decent record of consistent generic oil changes every 3,000 miles. However, after looking inside the valve cover with an endoscope, I noticed heavy varnish and slight sludge built up in certain areas I could get to. I didn't want to do an engine flush, as I heard it might clog the oil passageways. Initially, I tried another popular brand that is known for cleaning and after about 1200 miles of driving, I looked inside the valve cover, but did not notice any difference. Valvoline Restore and Protect was released shortly after - I was initially interested, because the marketing targeted was exactly what I was looking for (Restore to Factory Clean and prevents build-up), so I gave it a try. The Oil has been in the engine for 1,324 miles and wow - I have not drained it yet, but I can already see a noticeable difference looking in the valve cover. The areas that contained yellow varnish is notably silver and the areas that contained minor sludge build up looks significantly cleaner. The engine also runs a lot smoother (quieter) with this oil. Since sludge was present, I'm going to drain this oil at 1500 miles and refill with new Valvoline Restore and Protect.”

Isn't there a recent, already-exiting thread on this Valvoline Restore & Protect Oil?

My daughter bought a six year-old Acadia a few years ago and the dipstick remained sooty-dirty after changing the oil. I kept changing that oil every 1.5k for four OCIs. Now the dipstick color remains clear for at least 1 to 1-1/2k of the next OCI. Mission Accomplished.

So be prepared to run four OCIs of that new Valvoline and do shortened OCIs to reach the goal(s) you've set.

Last edited:
So per Valvoline, this oil uses a specific new additive technology. It's not done through the use of esters like their Premium Restore Cummins product. They also said that anything the oil comes in contact with it will clean. My thinking this oil could theoretically clean intake valves.

It cleans by dissolving carbon slowly is what they say.

Last edited:
So per Valvoline, this oil uses a specific new additive technology. It's not done through the use of esters like their Premium Restore Cummins product. They also said that anything the oil comes in contact with it will clean. My thinking this oil could theoretically clean intake valves.

It cleans by dissolving carbon slowly is what they say.
When Valvoline offers a Youtube video on how four separate OCIs of this stuff progresses over time in a TGDI-sooty engine, I'll become more-of a believer.

Back