Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 (Gonna Take a Chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you treat Valvoline like it’s in the same market as HPL - an industrial lubricant specialty company. Some of the rest is also misleading - sure they make shear stable lubes - but Wayne has a PI engine whereas an engine with fuel dilution is not going where he got to …
Extended TDI runs will be very engine specific and need UOA’s
(I can change oil for one UOA cost)

Then there are user/vehicle specifics - I have engines under warranty - not playing games with that - and are GDI. My Jeep is PI but super easy to change - and it goes off-road etc = need to go under it.
We even have people recommend HPL for brand new $100k+ vehicles ? Not everyone wants to do UOA’s over and over either …
Anyway, good as HPL is - I don’t understand the oblique comments over motor oils that most of the country won’t hear about …
If VRP is just a 5k oil (bet it makes OLM run) so what ?
See, now we’re having a discussion 👍🏻

No, I don’t think Valvoline is in same league, but that’s what their marketing seems to want people to think. One of Wayne’s vehicles is PI (the Dodge) but his truck is most definitely DI.

Now, I agree with the comment that the UOA costs add up quickly when one is initially seeing how far the oil can remain serviceable. Wayne certainly could have just done seven 5k OCIs with a shelf-stock oil, but the data from the UOAs shows there wouldn’t have been any benefit to it. Once he finally finds the limit in his application, he could drop back to say 5k miles fewer than condemnation for OCI and never do another UOA except maybe once a year or two.

As far as the warranty side, I get that some people “may” have concerns with certain engines, and if those engines suffer infant mortality people may want to stick with a “certified” oil until warranty is over. But there are also engines that could run HPL from day 1 (like Wayne’s truck) where there is very little risk of internal engine issues and cost being the only downside.

I also agree, and have said, HPL isn’t for everyone (just like Valvoline R&P) for various reasons, but if one wants to up the intervals with very low risk, that’s where HPL makes its value seen.

In actuality I certainly hope the VRP is a good oil and does what it claims; and if that’s the case I certainly hope people buy it. Otherwise, just like M1 AP, it will quickly disappear, and that doesn’t help consumers.

See, now we’re having a discussion 👍🏻

No, I don’t think Valvoline is in same league, but that’s what their marketing seems to want people to think. One of Wayne’s vehicles is PI (the Dodge) but his truck is most definitely DI.

Now, I agree with the comment that the UOA costs add up quickly when one is initially seeing how far the oil can remain serviceable. Wayne certainly could have just done seven 5k OCIs with a shelf-stock oil, but the data from the UOAs shows there wouldn’t have been any benefit to it. Once he finally finds the limit in his application, he could drop back to say 5k miles fewer than condemnation for OCI and never do another UOA except maybe once a year or two.

As far as the warranty side, I get that some people “may” have concerns with certain engines, and if those engines suffer infant mortality people may want to stick with a “certified” oil until warranty is over. But there are also engines that could run HPL from day 1 (like Wayne’s truck) where there is very little risk of internal engine issues and cost being the only downside.

I also agree, and have said, HPL isn’t for everyone (just like Valvoline R&P) for various reasons, but if one wants to up the intervals with very low risk, that’s where HPL makes its value seen.

In actuality I certainly hope the VRP is a good oil and does what it claims; and if that’s the case I certainly hope people buy it. Otherwise, just like M1 AP, it will quickly disappear, and that doesn’t help consumers.
The Duramax ? can go long on lots of lubes - but since those can be “fleet” - HPL keeps them out making money just like with Frac pump engines etc …
BTW, most common work vehicle is a B777 …
(not a high mileage driver) …

🍿i'm in to read how this will go in the future.. I know that the M1 (adv full syn, aka normal m1 flavor) cleaned up the Civic. It wasn't sludged at all, just that castrol varnish color. After one oil change (5 months) the bits inside the filler cap (no I didn't take the valve cover off) were grey/aluminum color again! That surprised me. If I had known the marketing was not hype I would've taken before/after pictures! Something is definitely going on with the new formulations! I don't think it's the power of marketing or suggestion.

🍿i'm in to read how this will go in the future.. I know that the M1 (adv full syn, aka normal m1 flavor) cleaned up the Civic. It wasn't sludged at all, just that castrol varnish color. After one oil change (5 months) the bits inside the filler cap (no I didn't take the valve cover off) were grey/aluminum color again! That surprised me. If I had known the marketing was not hype I would've taken before/after pictures! Something is definitely going on with the new formulations! I don't think it's the power of marketing or suggestion.
I brought that up several pages ago about the triple action formula.. I was listening to a page last night, Fordbossme@ how he was talking so highly of Valvoline advanced, and also the max life formula, after VOA's were done on it. Also the Extended if you tend to extend your drain intervals. I'm sure you all heard it before.

I brought that up several pages ago about the triple action formula.. I was listening to a page last night, Fordbossme@ how he was talking so highly of Valvoline advanced, and also the max life formula, after VOA's were done on it. Also the Extended if you tend to extend your drain intervals. I'm sure you all heard it before.
I wouldn't waste my time listening to that guy.

Notice how Valvoline doesn't advertise a single product for extended drain intervals?
Yeah I realize that, even when I worked for them they never pushed extended drain intervals.. that was never there policy.. but now I noticed they have. Long life oil filters but I think that's mainly a selling point inside the quick lubes..

That's why I was commenting, I know I've mentioned it before in another thread. Really surprised me it did that much cleaning. I know M1 is a good oil but I always disregarded the hype/marketing about "triple action" cleaning. What's funny is it really did what they claimed! Not that the civic was sludged up or neglected from lack of maintenance.

We bought a new 2024 Ford edge with the 2.0 ecoboost. I always do an early change before 1000 miles. I always say I'm gonna try mobil one esp 5w30 but I always back out when I see it doesn't have the Ford wss m2c 961 a1 approval. Then I saw the new Valvoline on the shelf. I have not seen a voa on it but it seems the old Valvoline advanced and extended were always well regarded and this is suppose to be better. Ill prolly be putting it in, in the next week with a Fram endurance filter. if anyone has any experience with it let me know if worked good for your application.View attachment 193984

Go for it I say... you only live once.

Must be their official release.

Looks like it! Some new claims and info in there too. The PDS doesn't look much different than the other Valvoline synthetics. I can't figure out how to get the SDS to load, if someone can please post it here.

Looks like it! Some new claims and info in there too. The PDS doesn't look much different than the other Valvoline synthetics. I can't figure out how to get the SDS to load, if someone can please post it here.

Shocking I tell you… shocking…

Attachments

• IMG_3800.jpeg
    IMG_3800.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 193
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back