Valvoline DCT fluid in Mustang MT-82

Is the Valvoline DCT fluid a suitable replacement for xt-11-qdc in the mt-82?

I want to service mine soon and I have some of the Valvoline fluid already. My car is already out of warranty so I'm not worried about using the exact fluid to maintain warranty.

DCT boxes include synchros, like manual transmissions do, although they don't strictly need them to work. In case of the DCT fluid, it contains friction modifiers for wet clutches which manual transmissions don't have. So how do those impact the synchros?

It won't harm a manual transmissiion in any way, but it could be the shifts aren't as smooth as they could be. Or it could shift very well. I would try it and dump it immediately if I felt the shifts weren't as good anymore.

Well, the xt-11-qdc that Ford recommends is a dual clutch fluid also. That's why I'm interested in using the Valvoline which I already had purchased originally for my Audi.

Is the Valvoline DCT fluid a suitable replacement for xt-11-qdc in the mt-82?

I want to service mine soon and I have some of the Valvoline fluid already. My car is already out of warranty so I'm not worried about using the exact fluid to maintain warranty.
I think the Valvoline DCT fluid will work as a commensurate replacement for the Ford spec fluid.

I think the Valvoline DCT fluid will work as a commensurate replacement for the Ford spec fluid.
Sounds good then, 2 votes for trying it. On the next nice day, I will have to try the valvoline. Will update this thread with some impressions.

I've tried three different lubes in the MT82. Nothing worked any better than the factory fill, unfortunately. Mine was a 2014, made after Ford switched to the thinner fluid.

Sounds good then, 2 votes for trying it. On the next nice day, I will have to try the valvoline. Will update this thread with some impressions.
How has the Valvoline DCT fluid been in your MT-82? I swapped the OEM fluid for BG Syncro Shift that everyone raves about on the Mustang forum and FB. I couldn’t tell much of a difference, felt like a waste of $120. Curious how the Valvoline fluid has treated yours?

How has the Valvoline DCT fluid been in your MT-82? I swapped the OEM fluid for BG Syncro Shift that everyone raves about on the Mustang forum and FB. I couldn’t tell much of a difference, felt like a waste of $120. Curious how the Valvoline fluid has treated yours?
I haven't had a chance to install it yet. There's been either something more pressing or bad weather on my days off lately. But I'll update the thread when I do.

I haven't had a chance to install it yet. There's been either something more pressing or bad weather on my days off lately. But I'll update the thread when I do.
Welp, good news and bad news.

Good news first, I was able to grab XT-11-QDC for what I considered a reasonable price on Amazon: $13. At times I've seen it $30+ so I went ahead and nabbed some. By the time I went through the hassle of raising and supporting the car and rolling around underneath it, I made the executive decision to just use the Ford stuff.

Also, it's probably one of the better fluid changes I've ever done from a before and after perspective. On my test drive, easier in/out of gear than before. Feels smoother and quicker. Trans makes noticably less noise. The correct amount of fluid came out, so I guess it was just degraded.

Bad news of course, I still can't offer any impressions on using the Valvoline fluid. Bit of a bummer since I was interested in what it would do, but I just didn't feel like doing the job again if I wasn't happy with it.

Also changed out the rear differential with some Synpower 75w-90 while I had it on jack stands.

I'm at 79k mi currently.

Back