2018 Rav 4 "Adventure" model transfer case/differential fluid confusion.

Just purchased a 2018 Rav 4 Adventure model with very low miles. The 30,000 mile differential and transfer case fluid change is coming soon and cannot figure out what fluid to use.

Owner's manual for the car calls for 75w85 "LT" type fluid, but reading online the Adventure model may have Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD which would require the use of Toyota's "LX" fluid, which contains limited slip additives evidently.

The owner's manual is the exact same for all Rav 4 models..very generic.

I am hoping I can just use Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 and that would cover both LT and LX specs.

How do I tell if mine even has the torque vectoring system? I know on the dash board is has a button that locks in AWD up to 25 mph if that helps.

By the way LX fluid is ridiculously expensive.

Pic of the vehicle in question:
IMG_3796.jpg

After thinking about this some more, I recall that if I choose a gear oil that is LSD compatible, it will not cause any harm to a non LSD system.

Sounds like a 75w-85 would be the way to go. I would go Redline 75w-85 or similar
I did not know that Redline made a 75w-85. The temps where I live can get to -35F and I would like to use this rather than a 75w90. Thanks for the tip!

Back