Using filter for second OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KevGuy
My recommendation is that you just change it every time you change the oil and put a new orange can filter on each time. Orange cans are $5 each at Walmart.

I change mine every OCI and my; OEM, Motorcraft, silicone anti drain back, thread end bypass filter is also at Walmart. All for only $3.69 each. To me, it just doesn't make sense not to change it each time.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I doubt I would be willing to leave a filter on for 20K unless the manufacturer specifically stated that it would last that long.

They could state it all they want, I'm not gonna take a chance on running the one that got by quality control that long. I feel better just using the filters designed for my car for reasonable intervals. What difference in QC do you think there's gonna be between a $5 part or a $12 part? Not much in my mind. The difference in price is pretty much covered by the media and valve/can material (according to the manufacturers, these are much better). I'm pretty sure that they are only pulling maybe 5 or 10 filters off a run for testing regardless of the model.
Just my 2cents worth.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honda recommends changing oil filter on second oil change, and the OCI can be up to 10k miles for mostly highway drives.

Just change it every OCI and use a $5 orange can from Wally World.

Is this the only thing you post now?

Well I leave my Toyota filter on my 1NZ-XFE's for 10k miles now. If I was doing 5k miles oci's then I suppose I would just change the filter every other time.

How many miles are you expecting to put on your filter?

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Well I leave my Toyota filter on my 1NZ-XFE's for 10k miles now. If I was doing 5k miles oci's then I suppose I would just change the filter every other time.

How many miles are you expecting to put on your filter?

With 2 OCI's, probably around 10-12k. 5/6k OCI's on my girl's Civic with conventional.

Here is a WM ST6607 filter with 11948 miles on it. About half way through the OCI, I changed the oil. I removed the filter, inspected it, wiped it down and put it back on. No problems and I was impressed with the way it held up.

Personally, if I re-use a filter, I prefer this method for my own peace of mind. I have not done this in a while mainly because I have so may filters that have been very inexpensive. I hope that helps.

100_0425.jpg

I know many say to just leave it on, but what's the "risk" of removing the filter and dumping out the old oil for a second OCI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: poiuy223
I know many say to just leave it on, but what's the "risk" of removing the filter and dumping out the old oil for a second OCI?

Disturbing a base gasket that has already been crushed and seated. If it doesn't seal well the 2nd time around, could have a leak at the base.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: poiuy223

Disturbing a base gasket that has already been crushed and seated. If it doesn't seal well the 2nd time around, could have a leak at the base.

+1

The gasket is like a compression fitting you might use in plumbing on a water feed line. It's meant to be used (formed into place) once. Now you may be able to successfully get it to form into place a second time, or you may not be successful. Is it worth potentially having your oil blow all over the place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back