Used tires vs Cheap new for infrequent towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my recent price checking, I found that Discount Tire, Direct or otherwise, no longer had the best prices.

But they will always price match and that's how I've used Discount Tire in the past. Doing that and stacking discounts such as rebates can be a huge saving. My timing has never worked out for that but I've read of huge savings for some.

To get around the timing issue, I just placed an internet order without sales tax for a really great price on Pirellis and there is a $60 rebate to claim. After install, I will be about $220 below Discount Tires regular all in price and I get to install when I need to rather than during the deal window.

I used to like the idea of having one shop to go back to in case of any problems so am taking a bit of a chance here but let's see what happens.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
On my recent price checking, I found that Discount Tire, Direct or otherwise, no longer had the best prices.

When taking shipping into consideration, who is beating them on price?

It's going to always vary depending on the tire and your location.

If you can set aside 15 minutes to price out 10 or so sites, you will save.

Of all the places to cheap out on tires, South Florida is one of those where I wouldn't suggest it. Florida is ALWAYS in the top 5 of places where tire failures occur.

And towing on top of it? Stressful on the tow vehicle, the tires, etc. If something happens, it could be a mess - or worse.

Sorry, but I think this is one of those times where your ability to get safely where you are going is more important than price.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
It's going to always vary depending on the tire and your location.

If you can set aside 15 minutes to price out 10 or so sites, you will save.

Then apparently I'm buying the wrong tires, and live in the wrong location.
21.gif

Thanks for the advice everyone. If I can find a deal like some of the ones I've found that are expired I should be able to snag a decent set of new tires that won't break the bank. My first pass had me thinking that $7-800 is not what I wanted to invest in this truck for only a few tows over a year or two but if I can get the price down to about $400 then I'd rather do that and get new rather than used, assuming there arent any hidden fees.

I can get the Destination LE2 for around 110 a tire (don't remember if that was the 255/70 or 245/75) and if I can get them on a buy 3 get 1 free sale that will put me at about $400 installed, less if I went with the Fuzion or similar. Either way at that price no point in going used.

My local America's Tire has many take off OEM tires with less than 500-1,000 miles for about 50-60% of new, I think they may sell it for less than that. Those used tires are perfectly good for daily use.

The Prodigys on DTD on eBay are the same price as your Destination LE2 target price of $330 no tax free shipping instant discount / no rebate to claim.

GT Radials would be $344 no tax free shipping.

Prodigys would be $324

Nanking Geostar $352

Nanking Geotrack $348

Nanking NK Utility $332

Cooper Discoverer $432 and up to $80 rebate

Super deals available at a junk yard if you're there at the right time. Bought a set of 4 off a t-boned pick up with less than 500 miles on the odometer. $15.00 bucks each mounted and balanced, course that was a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Super deals available at a junk yard if you're there at the right time. Bought a set of 4 off a t-boned pick up with less than 500 miles on the odometer. $15.00 bucks each mounted and balanced, course that was a few years ago.

You must be very lucky to be there at the right time to get the tire size you need. Not everybody will have the same luck.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: jcwit

You must be very lucky to be there at the right time to get the tire size you need. Not everybody will have the same luck.

So true, but doesn't mean it can't happen.

If he wants to save money, he should go and see a used tire place.

However, the deals right now with DTD on EBay are a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back