Towing on Pmetric

I have been looking at some inexpensive AT tires for a GMC 1500 crew cab, towing 5-6k (21' boat) part of the time. I have always had LT tires on it for more durability on gravel roads and towing, but I drive those less and less now. What could I expect going back to metric towing the boat as mentioned. Its always been rock solid with the LT but probably overkill and its just been too long since I've towed on non LT to remember.

I have been looking at these in case anyone has an experiecne with any of these being especially soft or squishy towing. I would expect to increase air psi when towing in hopes of stabilizing it a little better, but if any doubt I'd still have no problem going back to LT either.

265-70-17
Westlake SL369
Milestar Patagonia AT
Sailun Terramax AT
Atture Trailblade AT

How has your tread-life been with LTs? I do not have any experience on the ones you mentioned, but I'll share my experience.

Just put new tires on my Tahoe. Had P-metric General Grabbers AT/X that seemed to wear super fast. Went with LTs this time. So I am not sure if you might experience quicker tire wear.

A lot of the Ps seem to have inflation up to 44psi, and I have towed about 4k on mine without issue. I would agree higher inflation you'd be fine, but the only thought I go to is treadwear.

I've got about 38k give or take on the current ones. They are Delta Sentinel, down to about 5-6/32. I've driven a lot of highway this year but generally maybe see 5k miles per year at this point of mixed highway/gravel. I would expect next set to last my useful life of the truck at this point which is why I am looking at the more inexpensive lines.

I have been looking at some inexpensive AT tires for a GMC 1500 crew cab, towing 5-6k (21' boat) part of the time. I have always had LT tires on it for more durability on gravel roads and towing, but I drive those less and less now. What could I expect going back to metric towing the boat as mentioned. Its always been rock solid with the LT but probably overkill and its just been too long since I've towed on non LT to remember.

I have been looking at these in case anyone has an experiecne with any of these being especially soft or squishy towing. I would expect to increase air psi when towing in hopes of stabilizing it a little better, but if any doubt I'd still have no problem going back to LT either.

265-70-17
Westlake SL369
Milestar Patagonia AT
Sailun Terramax AT
Atture Trailblade AT

Stiffer tyres or suspension (2 parts of the same thing really) don't add to stability, but it appears to be more stable until it doesn't. In effect you get less warning when instability becomes critical.

Weight distribution and speed dictates stability. You will need to increase the rear tyre pressure to account for the added load from towball download in any case.

But I do get why we all want something to appear stable, it makes for a less stressfull ride. But the speed at which there's danger of fishtailing out of control remains the same.

We had a couple instances where the cheapskate office went with P-metric tires on the cargo vans, which also towed the 3-6K enclosed equipment trailer-they were lucky to get 10K miles out of them, and blowouts also happened.:rolleyes:

I can't predict how your pickup would handle while towing, but if I was gonna make the switch, I'd go with quality name-brand tires.

A 1500 is a pretty heavy truck. I’d be leery of going down to P-rated if I towed, depending on loads and depending on how much rough stuff I planned on driving over. If this were a crossover or midsize truck/suv I’d be more inclined to go with P-rated.

What about a commercial AT tire like the Bridgestone Duravis, Firestone Transforce, Michelin LTX AT2, or Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse AT?

Or, consider going with an HT tire.

Walmart has cooper discoverer AT in your size for $153 each. Its not pmetric that is an issue but the cheapo tires you listed.

If I needed something even extra cheaper I'd go with the ironman radial AT for $113

Last edited:
I had a 2010 Ram 1500 that I ran P metrics on since it was almost all highway and the ride was a lot better. I did some very light towing with it and it was fine. If I remember right, if you use P-metrics on pickups, you have 10% less capacity rating than is on the sidewall so a lot will depend on the load in the bed and the tongue weight of the trailer when towing.

Don't worry about what brand you put on, all you listed will be safe. You might get shorter tread life, but you mentioned that isn't a concern.

Last edited:
Put Nexen Roadian ProR8 AT on the Wife's Armada, 10 ply load range E tires but they ride great, no noise that I can detect from the drivers seat. We got 75K out of the first set, working on our second set now.

Real facts, capacities and operational conditions are what's needed here.
Road noise considerations for a truck always left me scratching my head.
Anyway, I "always thought" P tires on a pick-up or van was almost a ghetto thing to do.

Years ago I got some car take-offs (Michelin) with plenty of tread for my ~2 ton E-100 van.
They wore away real fast. [insert 'question shrug' emoji here]
I didn't note the weight rating, but.....

Why LTs on a half ton when you're not trying to tow over load?

My Ram takes the same size tire and the Michelin Defender LTX M/S I have (along with many other tires in this size) are rated at 2679lbs per tire at 44psi. So that gives me over 5300 lbs of rear axle weight to accommodate what I'm doing. Keep your tongue weight appropriate and you'll never see 5300lbs of weight at the rear axle.

All of the 'P' tires I have listed have more than enough capacity, especially when aired up so that isn't in question. Its more whether they would feel squishy with a trailer adding not only tongue weight but side to side motion. Granted the boat doesn't sway like a travel or enclosed trailer would.

I had an older Tahoe that I went from LT when I bought it to 'P' before I sold it. I never towed with with it after that but I do remember it feeling softer so I guess that is part of what has me conerned. Short wheelbase of the Tahoe even with LT made it a handful with the boat at times, but I can only imgaine what it might have felt like with the 'P' metrics. In my current case the crew cab is considerably longer and suspension no doubt better at the same time.

We have towed with both an F150 and a Toyota 4Runner, both with P metric radials.

Tires were aired up to maximum rating, and with a properly loaded 5000 pound trailer there were no issues whatsoever. No sway, rock solid on the highway up to 80mph where legal.

These are just tires that were quoted me by local stores when I told them I wasn't spending for Michelin or BStone. I'm sure people would say the same thing about the Delta's that have been on there but honestly they gave me 0 problems and performed everything I needed of them. If I could buy another set just like them I would in a heartbeat and not think twice.

Back