Used Hyundai...What Year Did Quality Go Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
...and the GM 2.2 OHV I-4.

my mom asked me over the holidays if I fixed my sunfire engine. she said the lifters were loud. good ole piston slap.
lol.gif

if it helps to pinpoint the time of quality improvement: wife's 2003 Elantra is still great - just over 160k miles and not a single repair - just regular maintenance - bought new in 2003

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
if it helps to pinpoint the time of quality improvement: wife's 2003 Elantra is still great - just over 160k miles and not a single repair - just regular maintenance - bought new in 2003

Yep.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Yep.

well, some repairs can be considered regular maintenance
smile.gif

let me make it clear then::) by "repair" I always mean that something breaks in the car that you HAVE to get fixed in order for it to function like normal again.

In our Elantra, only wear items like brakes, bulbs, were ever needed. Other than that, it was maintenance items like oil changes, coolant flushes, power steering flushes, batteries, etc.

Last edited:
Even the old 5.7 GM's piston slapped when cold.

We were told the new 4.8-5.3-6.0 engines would take care of that problem.

LOL!

I've heard it said (can't verify) on the GM engines that the severity of knock is directly tied to whether or not the engine has an engine oil cooler.

Go figure.

Just take note of the fact that our fleet trucks ALL have oil coolers and slap like crazy up to 07. These are vans, 6.0 gas engines.

One of our noisiest (just for 30 seconds or so on startup) has over 400k miles on it, doesn't smoke or drip, and runs flawlessly.

We may have the transition point from bad-to-good quality right here. 97tbird's 2003 Elantra is fantastic with not a single repair.

I maintain a 2002 Elantra and at 100,000 miles it feels like it's going to fall apart at any minute.

At the moment I have the car in my garage needing a intake manifold gasket.

The suspension bushings are worn completely out although the vehicle still holds alignment well.

Rubber door seals on both driver and passenger sides have deteriorated and are flaking apart.

Rubber hoses on engine (crankcase vent tubes) have been replaced once due to deterioration and will need to be replaced again soon.

Radiator split across the top near the filler neck at 60,000 miles.

Suspension dampers are worn completely out and need replaced.

On a positive note, the paint and all electronic items still work well. The engine uses very little oil and doesn't leak a drop. The transmission works well and doesn't leak a drop either. The CV boots are holding up fine and the seat fabric still looks good. There is some wear on the painted interior plastic buttons which makes thing look bad but it's cosmetic and could be touched up if the owner wanted to invest the time.

So, I definitely DON'T recommend the 2002 and older Hyundai cars. Maybe the 2003 and newer made some headway in the quality department. I don't have experience with the ones that new.

Having participated on a Hyundai board for awhile, I'd say ~2003-2009 seem to be the sweet spot. Seems to be true for the Santa Fe anyway. I know the late Delta 2.7L and F4A51 4spd auto are Mitsubishi derivatives, but taken over by and pretty much perfected by Hyundai as of late. You hear of very few powertrain issues.

Last edited:
My biggest issue with a used Hyundai is the inevitable timing belt service that would need to be done and the cost of parts.

My brother had an '02 Elantra that I maintained, and the cost of parts was extremely high. He only kept it up until 100k miles and it was a decent car, a few strange issues but nothing too severe (a couple sensors, water leak from the windshield, cracked exhaust manifold).

My father has an '07 Tucson that has been better, needing only an A/C compressor.

Dishdude, your comments reminded me that I also had to replace the MAP sensor on the 2002 Elantra that I mentioned previously. And the airbag light is currently on and I have no idea how to diagnose that.

Oh well,,

Quote:
Used Hyundai...What Year Did Quality Go Up?

2020 is my guess...

Kidding aside, I owned a 2001 Elantra. Absolutely the worst POS car I have ever owned. Nothing but breakdowns, dealer visits and a world of frustration. I dropped it off at the dealer at year 3 of a 4 year lease with a check for the last twelve months. I had to buy my way out of that nightmare. Factor in resale value and there isn't much else to talk about.

I'm sure there are good experiences from other members, but I wouldn't spend a cent on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back