Used car parts on amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: user52165
Not sure, but personally I wouldn't be a part of any scheme designed to put the local (especially the local!) and national auto wreckers out of business. So I will not be shopping used auto parts on Amazon.

It will actually help their business. ABC Auto Salvage pulls the part and uses the well developed marketing and delivery system of Amazon to sell their parts everywhere. XYZ Auto Salvage doesn't see the future and doesn't do as well. Just like any other competitive venture.

Amazon will help a local business? Are we talking the same Amazon here? The one that has Wal-Mart running for cover, closing stores and leaving communities with no bricks-and-mortar stores (killed by the Wal-Mart that opened 15 years ago) and no means of retail whatsoever (when Wal-Mart closes their local store this year, killed by Amazon)?

It's hard to stop the exodus of American jobs when the locals are part of the problem. Go ahead, buy your used auto parts on Amazon. I can't stop you. And good luck to your children, by the way.

The mom and pop businesses have zero access to WALMART. Your not getting on their slelves unless you have the scale to supply 1000's of stores. And your gona have to make it in China to hit walmart's price points.

But the mom and pop's CAN sell on Amazon right along side the big players.
Amazon gives them infrastructure to sell on the international market.

Car-part.com helped bring all those back country whole-in-the-wall yards on to the internet. It brought semi-local people to their front door.
Now Amazon does the same thing but allows them to SELL and ship to the whole world. Not just car-part.com users who are in driving distance.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Not sure, but personally I wouldn't be a part of any scheme designed to put the local (especially the local!) and national auto wreckers out of business. So I will not be shopping used auto parts on Amazon.

It will actually help their business. ABC Auto Salvage pulls the part and uses the well developed marketing and delivery system of Amazon to sell their parts everywhere. XYZ Auto Salvage doesn't see the future and doesn't do as well. Just like any other competitive venture.

Amazon will help a local business? Are we talking the same Amazon here? The one that has Wal-Mart running for cover, closing stores and leaving communities with no bricks-and-mortar stores (killed by the Wal-Mart that opened 15 years ago) and no means of retail whatsoever (when Wal-Mart closes their local store this year, killed by Amazon)?

It's hard to stop the exodus of American jobs when the locals are part of the problem. Go ahead, buy your used auto parts on Amazon. I can't stop you. And good luck to your children, by the way.

I really can't see this as a bad thing, I'm not a fan of Walmart but if they can't keep up that's their fault. The same business model that made them successful is bringing them down (although their really not hurting to badly) but it's come full circle.

There will always be a need for local stores if a franchise can't move in due to overhead and upkeep that just makes it easier for a Ma&Pa. Walmart was a decent place at one time. People where strapped for cash and where willing to pay less for lesser quality.

I think most of us can still remember their "Made in America" slogan and their business model did hurt the US manufacturing in the long run. They went from pushing companies out of business to maximizing (or attempting too in some cases) profits. You know something up when local stores beat Walmart in pricing.

They just shifted their focus from quantity to higher end items at larger profits and the same thing they started is coming back around to bote them in the butt there as well.

Last edited:
I worked at Amazon for about 4 years and never saw used parts. They had damaged packaging or a box that was opened and sold as is. Or something might have fell out like a bag of screws. In my experience and some of my friends I would not order car parts unless it was shipped from the seller. Don't buy if it was shipped fulfilled by Amazon. People tend to get the wrong part. The car part system is flawed for whatever reason. Let's say there are 10 boxes of rotors come in. They will have the usual barcode on the factory packaging. Amazon puts there own still barcodes on each item. This is where it gets bad. A human who has no idea what's right or wrong is individual ly labeling. One box gets the sticker ripped off and they print another sticker from the other box. But than those 2 sets of rotors are different. It's hard to explain like the whole process and why stuff like car parts can get mislabeled. It just does. I think if anything sold and fulfilled by Amazon says used on it, it was a return most likely, wrong part or missing a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back