Used Car Market In Turmoil As Prices Collapse And Demand Wanes

Those charts are not telling the full story. Interest rates have risen.

Thus used car prices are the same as before, cause what you are saving on principle is being ate up by your 8% 80 month loan interest.

No, why?

Apparently old cars are worth more in Mexico, because many Americans don't want a 10 year old car but the mexicans just want something that moves
Wasnt sure if you knew why. Yes, labor there is very cheap so people can afford to tear down an engine have it machined a bit and put back into service.
Almost every American car that comes to Ukraine is a complete crumpled wreck. They have talent and cheap labor and bend grind hammer and weld it back to factory new condition.
Labor is cheap.

No, why?

Apparently old cars are worth more in Mexico, because many Americans don't want a 10 year old car but the mexicans just want something that moves
There is an endless parade of them passing through us headed to Mexico - many are one towing two …

No, why?

the average age of an automobile in the USA is now past 12 years..

the average age of an automobile in the USA is now past 12 years..
And in Mexico it's around 14, and I don't think they have many mall crawlers (never really abused) or low mile garage kept cars

Last year at this time Toyota dealers didn’t want to pick up phone.
Now I am contemplating restraining order against them.
So yeah, true.
I've been getting lots of ads from the Toyota dealer I bought from. The vehicles are just priced too crazy for me.

No, why?

Also the average Mexican annual income is minuscule compared to anyone who works for a living in the U.S.

Wasnt sure if you knew why. Yes, labor there is very cheap so people can afford to tear down an engine have it machined a bit and put back into service.
Almost every American car that comes to Ukraine is a complete crumpled wreck. They have talent and cheap labor and bend grind hammer and weld it back to factory new condition.
Labor is cheap.
Except after they get done the entire structure was/is compromised and wouldn't pass crash tests here.

Except after they get done the entire structure was/is compromised and wouldn't pass crash tests here.
Id rather ride around in a crusty beater with stuff in the trunk than pull a cart to move stuff from place to place. Crash testing is for people who don't want danger in their life (and being safe isn't a bad thing, but it's sometimes a luxury that you can't have)

Id rather ride around in a crusty beater with stuff in the trunk than pull a cart to move stuff from place to place. Crash testing is for people who don't want danger in their life (and being safe isn't a bad thing, but it's sometimes a luxury that you can't have)
Yep. The last I heard you can still buy penalty boxes in Mexico without airbags..... nor crash standards.

I still see new cars around me all over. $50k SUVs driving around to the right and left of me. Full size pickups. Brand new luxury cars. I checked my car insurance and my property damage limit was $50,000 lol. I increased it to $150,000….because even a Hyundai Palisade is 50k now. Check your car insurance policy limits and update accordingly. Totaling a new mini van could max out your policy easy these days. A decade ago $50k was a rich man’s car . Now it’s normal/average.

My Mazda is knocking on 200K miles. Hopefully she keeps on going. I dread the day I have to replace it because I love the way it drives.

Labor is cheap.
A friend worked in Egypt for three years ('87 - '90). He talked of the ingenuity of the people there in repairing things. For example, rather than replacing an expensive plastic taillight lens, they would cast a new one in a sand mould.

We've lost something in our prosperous society. (But no, I wouldn't want to trade.)

Reactions: GON
When I drove big trucks the old worn-out trucks were often seen on trailers going to Mexico where they were fixed up and painted and put back on the road. (passing your family here in the States going 80mph) I thought of what these trucks have been through and a million-mile tractor-trailer rig really needs to go to a crusher.
Many stolen cars in Arizona end up in Mexico. I've seen stories like one where people found the chief of police in Mexico using their Chevy Blazer with the AZ plate still on it. sorry this isn't exactly on topic.

A friend worked in Egypt for three years ('87 - '90). He talked of the ingenuity of the people there in repairing things. For example, rather than replacing an expensive plastic taillight lens, they would cast a new one in a sand mould.

We've lost something in our prosperous society. (But no, I wouldn't want to trade.)

Having traveled extensively-I can assure compared to many parts of the world that we are still way ahead of those countries that make a taillight in the sand.....

Once heard a Pentagon General speak-he said
"Everybody hates us-but wants to be like us!". So yea.....

Back