Unrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are talking WITHOUT RULE OF LAW scenario (WROL)

VERY, very, very different than other normal SHTF scenarios.

In a scenario where it all comes apart nationwide/worldwide, me and mine will garrison in an organized manner with a mixed group of former (active and retired from before it all came apart) law enforcement, military, Fire & EMS, security, medical (MD, RN, Surgeons), Agricultural Propreitors land owners and Professionals (farm, ranch, etc), Skilled Trades people, and other like minded people and their families who will pull their weight. We will be well armed with small and select heavy arms, possibly including light armored veh's both wheeled and tracked. A vetting process in place for the "like minded" demographic and possible others who wish to join the community.

Of course, if it all really ever falls apart, the Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men ....

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Living in hurricane country - we are always prepared to go at least a week with no power, and no ability to get food/water. Stored bottled water, food, batteries, propane for cooking, white gas for Coleman lanter/stove are always stocked up. So are essential first aid supplies, extra gasoline, and medicines, and yes, dog food.

Preparation like you've just described, is always good in hurricane country. The problem is guys like you are few, and far between. All you have to do is watch the news when a major hurricane is within 48 hours of landfall anywhere in this country. People are running around like a bunch of wild Indians. Stripping the shelves of every battery, gallon of water, gallon of gas, and all available canned goods, plywood, generators, extension cords, and everything else you can possibly think of.

People are always unprepared and foolish. Look at Puerto Rico. After the hurricane hit, they were all fighting for what few generators were still for sale. Some people actually flew to Florida to buy generators, and bring them back to Puerto Rico with them. Who would be dumb enough to live on an island, smack dab in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Where you stand a good chance of getting hit by a hurricane every year, and not have a generator? Especially on an island that has a power grid that looks as if it was designed by Rube Goldberg. It wouldn't take much to be forced to go to guns if something like that happened in this country. Especially in a major city.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Living in hurricane country - we are always prepared to go at least a week with no power, and no ability to get food/water. Stored bottled water, food, batteries, propane for cooking, white gas for Coleman lanter/stove are always stocked up. So are essential first aid supplies, extra gasoline, and medicines, and yes, dog food.

Preparation like you've just described, is always good in hurricane country. The problem is guys like you are few, and far between. All you have to do is watch the news when a major hurricane is within 48 hours of landfall anywhere in this country. People are running around like a bunch of wild Indians. Stripping the shelves of every battery, gallon of water, gallon of gas, and all available canned goods, plywood, generators, extension cords, and everything else you can possibly think of.

People are always unprepared and foolish. Look at Puerto Rico. After the hurricane hit, they were all fighting for what few generators were still for sale. Some people actually flew to Florida to buy generators, and bring them back to Puerto Rico with them. Who would be dumb enough to live on an island, smack dab in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Where you stand a good chance of getting hit by a hurricane every year, and not have a generator? Especially on an island that has a power grid that looks as if it was designed by Rube Goldberg. It wouldn't take much to be forced to go to guns if something like that happened in this country. Especially in a major city.

Not so unlike the way a lot of people in America are preparing for retirement.

So many variables. Where you, live Urban or rural. The duration of upset, A week, a month, 6 months or longer. How many dead as a result of the 'unrest'

If people think normality will be restored in the near future they will likely be more inclined to 'hang-in' and be civil.

If un-rest is more widespread and likely to be ongoing, the law of the jungle is likely to be the norm sooner rather than later.

Where do guns play a roll?
I think to much faith is put in them. You will likely find yourself in a fight with someone else with a gun, but THEY will have the element of suprise.
Land mines and such devices will likely be more effective.

But in a situation like that, shooting yourself might be preferable :-(

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Look at how insane people act in department stores during Black Friday sales trying to save a few bucks on a TV set. Now try to imagine a real problem that actually effected their lives and well being. I can't imagine being in such a situation without a firearm..... Or several. People today are basically nuts.
You got that right, brother.

My God! look at that "thing" in the middle with the Halloween hair!

Quote:
My God! look at that "thing" in the middle with the Halloween hair!

Don't be so judgmental, she could have a great personality ;-)

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Shouldn't Government been the first on the list since they cause the most misery?

How many lists are out there?

Is working on a list of people who would be the first against the wall in the revolution also prepping?

The OP talks of people that 'hope' for unrest.

IMO these are often people that find it hard to cope with the complexities of society as it is, and somehow think anarchy would offer a simpler lifestyle.

They could be right, but their life is likely to be very short.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
In a scenario where it all comes apart nationwide/worldwide, me and mine will garrison in an organized manner with a mixed group of former (active and retired from before it all came apart) law enforcement, military, Fire & EMS, security, medical (MD, RN, Surgeons), Agricultural Propreitors land owners and Professionals (farm, ranch, etc), Skilled Trades people, and other like minded people and their families who will pull their weight. We will be well armed with small and select heavy arms, possibly including light armored veh's both wheeled and tracked. A vetting process in place for the "like minded" demographic and possible others who wish to join the community.

Of course, if it all really ever falls apart, the Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men ....

Sounds nice but A. is that plan in place now? If not it wont work when SHTF. When the roving bands arrive..good luck. Farmers don't know any more than a small time gardener..no fuel, no tractors.

I only reliable way to feed onself will be cannibalism. And again..what about all the radiation released as nuclear plants melt down. No one seems to have an answer for that.

Of course I am different..Iam 71. Been there, done it all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Shouldn't Government been the first on the list since they cause the most misery?
I call it the politician and government employee crime gang.

Society will survive 0ther wise there would be no humans left on the earth. What ever hits the fan, some will die and some will survive.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If a nuke or emp hits, why would you want to survive? What will be left for you to enjoy? It'll be absolute chaos followed by corruption and slow death.

Are you really going to join your neighbors and start a rogue settlement with it's own laws and defense? How long before the next badder settlement invades and takes over?

And everyone who is currently on some sort of maintenance medication is screwed. Diabetics, seizure prone people, dialysis, autoimmune sufferers, and special diet people are going to be screwed in the long term.

I guess you live in an urban area? Watched too many mad max movies?
In a rural agricultural area, I think folks could get things going pretty quickly if they had enough diesel fuel to get over the hump to convert to bio fuel or horsepower. Also I guess the number of large mechanically injected diesel tractors is getting pretty low, but there's still lots of old ones doing odd jobs around the farms near us.
Anyways, I like to think our township could be fenced off and have enough food, fuel, tools, farm animals, to get on pretty well for quite a while.
I think realistically an EMP could destroy most of the power grid, but not every electronic device over a huge area.

I live in a place that is literally right between the boonies and a major city...aka bedroom community LOL.

Look I have no doubts that the farmers and people already roughing it would survive. But even now those people live in such a way that ties back to the rest of society.

And if the situation is as bad as it can get, then you have to live every subsequent day in fear that other survivalists will come through looking for a fight for resources. Plus people within your own community will disagree with how food or water are rationed and then you have to deal with that.

It really can't be this somewhat romanticized fantasy where all you need are guns, fishmox, water filters and dried food to become king of the new world.

The sky has been falling for thousands upon thousands of years.

You look back at the "what if" doomsday scenarios of yore and laugh hysterically at the naivete of all those "experts".

Really, did anybody ever foresee the largest disasters to have affected societies and how they ultimately played out? Game theory is as much Bee Ess as it is black art...

You all underestimate the desire of our species to survive. It is heavily encoded in our DNA as the result of 200k years of natural selection (sorry, Jesus dudes). It has propelled us for many thousands of years under situations far more dire than today.

Whatever happens, there will be a way. And a way out.

...Or it will be a sudden and thorough destruction. Environmental most likely. And probably natural or space based in origin. Either way why sweat the inevitable? Enjoy today!

I interpret the OP as somebody looking forward to the opportunity to indiscriminately shoot people and get away with it.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
I interpret the OP as somebody looking forward to the opportunity to indiscriminately shoot people and get away with it.

Now why in the world would you say that?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back