Any experts on flutes (musical)

I have decided to learn how to play the flute as something to do in retirement. Was thinking about a used flute. But many options. If the flute needs cleaning or pads replaced that could significantly add to the price of a flute.

Any experts out there?

Casn you rent a Flute ? In 4th grate I wanted to play the Trumpet in the school orchestra so
Dad rented a trumpet. .

Renting is a good idea.

Self taught or taking lessons? I'd expect a teacher to have a good trustable opinion here.

My daughter just had a flute given to her, was told it was a halfway decent one. I think the wife said it was only couple hundred to fix up? not sure, I tend to tune out what I'm spending on music lessons (piano lessons for 2 or 3, voice for 2, then one is taking oboe also).

Yamaha makes a decent entry level instrument. Should be able to find a good used one for a few hundred, or a new one for under $1,000.

When you’re ready to step up, there are several good choices - Yamaha, Powell, and Gemeinhardt, for example. Both of my daughters play flute - and both ended up with a Powell. I paid about $8,000 for the most recent Powell, but that was in 2015, and I suspect that the cost has gone up since.

Flutistry in Boston will let you try all of them before buying. https://www.flutistry.com/

Find a music store in a big town nearby - plenty of used entry level flutes out there - as kids try, and then don’t continue, music. See if they’ve got any decent used instruments.

Also, try these guys - brought a couple from them:

They have a line of “certified preowned”.

Finally - get a good teacher - one who can help you develop your embouchere. As you progress, you will want a silver head joint, at least, and eventually, a silver instrument. The tone difference is clearly evident, and you will appreciate the tone of a silver flute over that of a silver-plated aluminum one.

My daughters both learned from this wonderful lady: https://www.karenkevra.com/

Now, her flute was 14K rose gold, but when that’s how you make your living, it’s an investment.

Last edited:
I have decided to learn how to play the flute as something to do in retirement. Was thinking about a used flute. But many options. If the flute needs cleaning or pads replaced that could significantly add to the price of a flute.

Any experts out there?
If you would like, I’m meeting up with my youngest, who got her Powell at Flutistry, this morning.

I will get her take on how to get started. She played in two youth orchestras while in High School, as well as an orchestra in college.

She actually took lessons last year in New Haven, CT after graduating college, to keep her skills up.

I was surprised upon learning flutes are made of silver.
I never heard of rose gold (I wonder what the alloy actually is) but I'm not the guy to ask.

I sure wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any specific instrument to appear at a lawn sale.

Find a good quality flute at a yard sale, flea market or pawn shop. Pay to have the pads replaced. You will probably be out only about $100.

The professional recommendation - Get a new Yamaha 200 series. Covered keys. C foot joint. split E not needed, but won’t impede progress.

She says to avoid sketchy used flutes. Many of them are junk. Certified pre-owned seems OK.

She adds - get lessons.

I was surprised upon learning flutes are made of silver.
I never heard of rose gold (I wonder what the alloy actually is) but I'm not the guy to ask.

I sure wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any specific instrument to appear at a lawn sale.
The alloy for 14K gold is always the same: 58% gold plus other metals, primarily silver in the case of a flute. The density of silver, and gold, in the body, are what gives the flute their sound. The lighter metals don’t sound as good.

A pure silver flute sounds wonderful. I know. I’ve bought two of them and heard them played in concert.

The rose gold instrument will likely cost more than your car…

I suspect the platinum is even more…

Casn you rent a Flute ? In 4th grate I wanted to play the Trumpet in the school orchestra so
Dad rented a trumpet. .
This. My parents purchased a really cheap coronet for me in 6th grade. In 7th I went to private school and unfortunately no.band so it sat around. We found somebody that wanted one so it went to a good home. Rent to get the basics down. Then start looking around at new flutes. Musical instruments tend to be a personal preference thing. Just looking around it seems like you can customize the trill? Whatever that is, some offer offset keys for one reason or another. Maramatsu 14k gold flutes start at $30,000 not including customization. It may take several years to really get the ins and outs of brand and styles you like.

The alloy for 14K gold is always the same: 58% gold plus other metals, primarily silver in the case of a flute. The density of silver, and gold, in the body, are what gives the flute their sound. The lighter metals don’t sound as good.

A pure silver flute sounds wonderful. I know. I’ve bought two of them and heard them played in concert.

The rose gold instrument will likely cost more than your car…

I suspect the platinum is even more…

Rose gold is an alloy made from a combination of pure gold and copper. The blend of the two metals changes the color of the final product and its karat. For example, the most common alloy of rose gold is 75 percent pure gold to 25 percent copper, which makes 18k rose gold. Changing the percentage of one metal in the alloy will change the karat.

Usually, a direct combination of copper and gold will create a robust reddish color. But, a small amount of silver can also be added to create a milder rose—with a little more silver added to create a variant of rose gold called “pink gold.”

My advice is to find out if this is a passing interest or not before sinking a bunch of money into one. Rent a beginner grade flute and ignore any impulse to buy a fancier one. A rental will have been checked out and tuned up if needed and will most likely play correctly. Getting through the first frustrating period of learning to play Mary Had a Little Lamb is hard enough without a jacked up instrument.

If you find that it's something that you enjoy a lot then you can go for a nicer instrument later. Maybe you'll just want to get it out and jam to Jethro Tull once in a while and a basic one will be all you want or need.

Any experts out there?
Just be thankful that you didn't have your heart set on an Oboe or Bassoon. Oboes use a very specific beechwood sourced from Africa that requires importation paperwork plus it's not a common instrument. $2-$3,000 to start. Bassoons are very complex and have a large octave range. Those are about $5,000 on the low end. I've read that a concert grade Bassoon can reach $50,000 or more.

This thread is one of the things I like about BITOG!

An interesting and informative thread, especially for those of us who can play the radio but not a musical instrument.

Thanks for posting, Donald, and thanks BITOGers for the responses. It’s always good to learn something new whether you end up using it or not.

And it just goes to show you that at BITOG, it’s not all about the oil!

Well……..okay………perhaps it IS all about the oil……..but still………

Back