Two large dogs charged at us on our walk tonight..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems people overreact sometimes when they see a dog coming towards them. They can't read a dog, they just assume the worst. I had a neighbor's bull dog come running down the street to me when I was working in the yard and jump in my lap. Another neighbor comes running over "because the dog was attacking me" ... uh no, the dog was just excited to be outside and wanted to play. Sweet dog.

Learn to read a dog, it's not hard to know when a dog is all bark and no bite.

Originally Posted By: ozric
It seems people overreact sometimes when they see a dog coming towards them. They can't read a dog, they just assume the worst. I had a neighbor's bull dog come running down the street to me when I was working in the yard and jump in my lap. Another neighbor comes running over "because the dog was attacking me" ... uh no, the dog was just excited to be outside and wanted to play. Sweet dog.

Learn to read a dog, it's not hard to know when a dog is all bark and no bite.

I've had the same experience. A few weeks ago a neighbor's mastiff got loose and came running over, I greeted it and it was very friendly, but I can see how someone who was scared of dogs would have reacted as if it was running towards them to attack them. Tail was wagging and it looked friendly so I was fine.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If the dog is vicious, that would be a dead dog if it were me.

Agreed, but I've never encountered a vicious dog that attacked me. When I was in college I installed satellite dishes - hence my user name. Walked through thousands of houses occupied by all kinds of dogs that never paid attention to me. The mailman shows up and they turn into Cujo!

I'm always out in the neighborhood here for hours a day and I've never had a stray approach me.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Is it wrong to choose self defense in this situation?

Nope, not if they broke off their lease, hopped a fence, or were leashed and out of control and posed a real threat to you. Many years ago I was riding a bike home from playing tennis, and a big German Shepard on the opposite side of the street apparently wasn't happy, charged and broke free from his leash. He came up behind me on to my right, I had enough time to get my tennis racket out of the little rack I had to hold it. It had a nice heavy brace to keep it from warping. Bad day for the dog, I smashed him in the face with it, and dropped him. He stayed down for a while. His owner was not happy and spouted off. Had he been stupid enough to charge me he would have been next. I love dogs, but I love myself more.

I was very lucky that day, and didn't fall off the bike. He was close enough to catch up to me, and far enough to give me time to get hold of the racket. Now 45 or so years later if I walk alone I carry a stick.

My daughter was a postie in this town for 10 years, wandering mean dogs everywhere, but she never had a problem. An old friend now in OZ has been posting on FB about a dog roaming in her area, a few weeks ago it attacked hers, and a friends dog, she has a huge nasty bite on her arm, stitches everywhere. She's still posting photos of the dog wandering around...nothing is being done.

When I lived on the Island, a dog bit one of the kids in our street, I saw the dog ranger the next day...''That's all I need to hear'' she said. I came home that day and 3 dogs were layed out on the side of the road. Sorted.

Neighbor lady was horribly mauled by 3 roaming dogs, she nearly died and spent years in recovery. They were pets that would regularly get out, formed a small pack and attacked the lady while she was outside in her own yard.

I always carry when walking about. I'm not at all concerned with my neighbors, just their dogs.

A while back, a young pit bull would chase me on my AM bicycle rides. Try to bite my feet. While I was faster than that nasty creature, it took some real effort to get away. One day, that dog came from elsewhere and caught me. I stopped, and took on the dog. He understood EXACTLY what the gun was for and ran terrified. I found that interesting. Any time after that, he kept his distance. He's still alive, and my neighbor still leaves him out, free. But he is now so old, he just lounges around.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Were they strays or was someone walking them? What did you do? Did they attack or what made them stop their charge?

They escaped from someones yard.

Okay, but what happened? You said they charged you but didn't mention an attack.

Maybe (absent) Greg is still being charged-at or chased.
Maybe he's in the emergency room being treated.
Maybe he took the dogs home and playing with them.
Maybe the dogs swallowed Greg's internet connection phone
Maybe the dogs swallowed Greg.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Greg, not sure if you carry or not, but shooting dogs in a residential area in city limits is going to get you a bunch of official attention no matter what the situation, might even make the news. Not saying don't do it but be prepared to not go on home like nothing happened. Since you're now aware of the situation having some type of protection makes sense and by all means report it.

I agree 100%. It would be a very very last resort for me. Big consideration is hearing damage discharging a firearm minus ear protection.

Charging or running up to you? There is a difference. Dogs running up to the edge of their property are really doing their job. You mentioned they got away from someones yard, so you don't know which yard is theirs. If they had and invisible fence, they may not be able to get back in until the owners get them.

If i am walking, i am usually armed. If you are in a neighborhood, shooting could be dicey with where the round goes.

I also carry a large lockblade knife. No question if you use the knife about how close they were.

Last edited:
To danez_yoda: You said, "enter the bleeding heart dog owners that would prefer you..."

Don't get too confident thinking about what other people think. This "bleeding heart dog owner" thinks stray dogs running wild = target practice.

I like cars too but I don't think you can jump curbs and run people over with them or even threaten to do so.....possibly not the best analogy.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
It all depends. Nothing wrong with carrying a hiking stick.
Police here shoot any dog that charges.

I used to run at night after work (night shift) -
in the summer in Texas, it's just WAY too hot in the day.

I used to run with a 12" long piece of rebar in each hand.
I needed them at night with dogs that would chase me.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
It all depends. Nothing wrong with carrying a hiking stick.
Police here shoot any dog that charges.

I used to run at night after work (night shift) -
in the summer in Texas, it's just WAY too hot in the day.

I used to run with a 12" long piece of rebar in each hand.
I needed them at night with dogs that would chase me.

Carry a large Milkbone soaked in Milk of Magnesia instead. Let the dog owner then deal with Hershey Squirts all over their house.

Happens here a lot. Loads of strays which form packs and get a bit territorial, but they're mostly bluff.

Did have a very lucky escape from a Berber herd dog in the Atlas once. They are allegedly trained to kill and it certainly didnt look like it was bluffing, but (mostly just to be polite) I'd opted to bypass their camp (almost didn't though) along a ridge line so I had the high ground and it couldn't quite get to me.

I taunted it from the edge of the little escarpment to keep it fixed, cos I didn't want it looking around for a way up. Thing was huge, scarily committed in the way it lunged up the rock face, and didn't make much noise, which added to the effect. Owners called it back eventually but they took thier time.

Last edited:
Is it wrong to choose self defense in this situation?
No and why would you think protecting your self is wrong in any circumstance?

how do you differentiate charging from running over and saying hi?

think you need to calm down. Unless its a pitbull, and more than one, who cares.

I just rescued two dogs, a retriever and a lab. While out on lunch, saw two dogs out, and oh no, they were running. Well, I stopped my truck before they got killed, they ran to me. I had my hands out which they sniffed with tails wagging, talked to them while petting them, and told them they were going for a ride. I picked one up at a time, put inside the cab of my truck, and called the # on the dog tags.

Owner was away on vacation, apparently the dog sitter is an idiot, left gate open. I took the dogs back to work with me, got them water, and waited for dumb dog sitter.

Think this is better than hurting, killing, or ignoring a dog. If anyone is that scared of dogs, probably should stay indoors and continue to live the sheltered life mommy and daddy created. And oh well if one had a bad experience with one dog, doesn't mean all are bad. Would be like saying all drivers are bad and scare me cause one hit me head on while driving drunk. Or all people of a certain race are bad because one time I was held up by a person of that particular race.

You will have plenty of time to defend yourself if needed against a single dog. Too bad most people do not know how to, and will make the situation worse. Or they already have by instigating aggression against a dog that meant no harm.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
how do you differentiate charging from running over and saying hi?

It's complicated. Even people who own dogs and routinely interact with strange dogs sometimes get it wrong and end up bitten.

Which is why no one is obligated to give an at-large dog on the street any benefit of the doubt.

For centuries in every place that has laws, such dogs have been automatically considered dangerous and their owner is subject to civil and criminal penalties for damage they may cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back