Tune up in a bottle, whats your favorite?

I had no idea this .would run this long,,,lol, but its fun,,gonna try the B12 next, what else do I have to do in retirement lol o yeah,,ride the Harley:coffee:

When I was a kid I worked for a summer at a Pontiac Buick dealership. They sometimes put a GM product, Upper Chamber Conditioner (or a name close to that), through the carburetor of trade ins.
It's now called "GM/Delco Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner"
That - or DSMO, which is quite a procedure and not for the faint of heart - is probably the best you can have.

MMO consists of some Phosphor (anti wear), Potassium (buffer/weak detergent) and some Hydrocarbons like Naphthenic Hydrocarbon and Chlorinated Hydrocarbons of orthodichlorobenzene - the latter is a strong solvent and decarbonizer, that also supplemented the dibromoethane used as a lead scavenger. Lead oxide was formed (a white powder) and the halogen compounds reacted with this oxide to produce lead bromide and chloride which was voltile and went out the tailpipe.

So yeah, it was quite useful back in the lead gas days, and still can do some decarbonizing, but nothing to write home about - today the stuff I mentioned above is way better to clean your engine.

Side note: the GM/Delco Product is mainly for valves/pistons/rings (as the name "upper engine cleaner" implies) but does nothing for oil passages/varnish/sludge etc. - that's wehere DMSO would come into play, which does both - but as I said, it's quite a procedure and requires certain precautions. So it's not for everyone.

Last edited:
Techron has cured rough idle for me a couple times - also use Chevron’s multi marine …
And considering Techron gets rebadged by outboard OEM’s - there is a high degree of confidence in their research and chemists …

Techron has cured rough idle for me a couple times - also use Chevron’s multi marine …
And considering Techron gets rebadged by outboard OEM’s - there is a high degree of confidence in their research and chemists …
Yep, Techron has cured erratic rough idle several times for me, until I started using Top Tier gas. Haven't needed the Techron since around 2006 or whenever Top Tier gas came into existance.

I use Stabil Marine in all gasoline that gets stored.

I liked techron, but haven't used it in a while.

Added to a tank of 87 in my carbureted Cadillac Cimarron, it got rid of pinging for that tank. $15 worth of fuel, $8 worth of additive. Then it was back to normal. :rolleyes:

2 favs, maybe 3, B-12, Marvel mystery Oil and Seafoam, all have worked well. My latest usage on my Harley was seafoam and it stopped the engine from dieseling when I would shut the engine off,,,well see if it continues to not diesel...on going testing
My followup on dieseling on my Harley engine: the dieseling has stopped as of 5-14-23...3 or 4 tanks of gas which amounts to about 12 gallons of gas....maybe 8 oz of total combined of seafoam and MMO the chemistry of mixing did the trick, Im a happy camper,, ok folks move on to project 1,234 lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BG44K.

Best stuff IMHO to clean up carbon deposits. One can per year for my vehicles, I've used it on a number of occasions to clean up a rough idle, occasional knock with a standing history of "excessive" timing retarding issues from knock.

I've done the water injection, Mopar and GM top engine cleaner, seafoam, berryman soak for heavily carbonized pistons, but for your daily driver to clean up that idle or driveability issue, the 44K is my #1 goto and recommendation.

My favorite is.... American Honey by Wild Turkey....Just a few shots and I am tuned up ... :ROFLMAO:

Nobody is actually asking why they got carbon buildup in the first place.
Lol. Was that to me? I don't think anyone here has tried to figure out "why", but have tried to help the OP.

So of the OP asks "Tune up in a bottle, what's your favorite", then states this...

2 favs, maybe 3, B-12, Marvel mystery Oil and Seafoam, all have worked well. My latest usage on my Harley was seafoam and it stopped the engine from dieseling when I would shut the engine off,,,well see if it continues to not diesel...on going testing.

Doesn't it stand to reason we are dealing with a carbon issue?

So along with pretty much all the previous replies dealing with products that deal with combustion chamber cleaning, where does the red flag come up with NOT dealing with a possible combustion chamber build up?

After the OP asked for a "Tune up in a bottle".

So my reply was BG44K, and I gave another description of why and what it does, along with fuel injector cleaning for anyone looking for that as well.

Lol. Was that to me? I don't think anyone here has tried to figure out "why", but have tried to help the OP.
No, not to you. I just wondered that in a forum full of motor nuts, nobody seems to care, and just try to make the symptoms go away as a band aid, instead of looking into the cause - incomplete combustion.

Nobody is actually asking why they got carbon buildup in the first place.
well there's a number of reasons why. a flawed design in the engine along with people not driving their cars long enough to get them up to actual operating temperature. then the EGR or the PCV valve messes up. people not change in their oil enough, not using better quality fuel, fuel going stale in the vehicle, start and stop start and stop not occasionally using a fuel system cleaner w pea,etc

Works in my Silverado, whole gallon in the tank. :eek:
7179smF1s-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Do you really use the whole gallon? I've heard of using this to help stave off a catalytic converter failure, actually kind of makes sense that it would do some cleaning

Back