Toyota to charge $8.00/mo to start vehicle with fob

I like getting into a warm and defrosted car after a 12 shift. I’m not scraping ice off my windows when it’s 0F and windy. Wipe the roof off and away I go.

So how long before do you need to start? it would take my diesel more than an hour i think... takes 20 minutes or so when it's barely freezing

So how long before do you need to start? it would take my diesel more than an hour i think... takes 20 minutes or so when it's barely freezing
~5 minutes is enough for the defrosters to start working, plus however long it takes me to knock any snow off the roof.

Toyota's remote start is 10 minutes long and you can do 2 in a row before it disables remote start for a rest period.

Also annoying is when you unlock the door, the remote start shuts off for "safety purposes", so that you have to get in and start the engine again.

Toyota's remote start is 10 minutes long and you can do 2 in a row before it disables remote start for a rest period.

Also annoying is when you unlock the door, the remote start shuts off for "safety purposes", so that you have to get in and start the engine again.
That's pretty dumb. Thankfully Fords and GMCs don't do that.

If you are using remote start to warm or cool your car for your candy A**? And gas is up to $5/gallon some places?…Your parents didn’t raise you right
If you are using remote start to warm or cool your car for your candy A**? And gas is up to $5/gallon some places?…Your parents didn’t raise you right
Where you live I agree...but you haven't tried to see the road in front of you with frost on the inside of your windshield before have you? If you park outside in winter here...there are times where you cannot drive off until your heater is giving off heat and defrost. If you use remote start to get your car warming up while you gather your coffee and lunch you aren't wasting anything, just saving yourself some time. People sometimes need to realize they don't have a clue what life is like in other environments.

is toyota rediscovering the wheel ? :)

Where you live I agree...but you haven't tried to see the road in front of you with frost on the inside of your windshield before have you? If you park outside in winter here...there are times where you cannot drive off until your heater is giving off heat and defrost. If you use remote start to get your car warming up while you gather your coffee and lunch you aren't wasting anything, just saving yourself some time. People sometimes need to realize they don't have a clue what life is like in other environments.
Well you aren’t just warming up to prevent chillblands are ya?
And I live at 7000 ft in the Rocky Mountains..not all NM is desert.

If you live in a climate where remote start is important to have IMO you're going to spend the money and get an aftermarket unit installed anyways for the range benefits, unless you go app controlled. I've always had DEI systems installed vs factory when given the choice, and now it looks like all the more reason if you have a Toyota.

Well you aren’t just warming up to prevent chillblands are ya?
And I live at 7000 ft in the Rocky Mountains..not all NM is desert.
I don't warm up anymore as I now park in a (non heated non insulated) garage..but in the past I have had to warm up just to prevent driving blindly.

I really need to put a CarPlay head unit in my old Tacoma.

I’ve owned Toyota’s for a long time, but the idea that I would pay a fee to access their “tech” is laughable.

I want to tell them :
View attachment 81333
Do it. You won’t regret it. I have a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX in a Prius that blows away the infotainment in the parent’s RX and anything Toyota puts out. You will need an iDatalink Maestro Rr module and the Toyota harnesses if the Tacoma has Entune to keep the customization menus. Else, you just need an steering wheel interface along with a dash kit - unless there’s JBL “premium” sound.

Good luck getting anything that isn’t Jensen/Boss or Chinese Android though - Alpine, Kenwood/JVC, Pioneer and Sony are in short supply.

Those fees are to fund public television
Nope, Comcast/Charter/Verizon and Dish Network/DirecTV are just greedy and still charge a per-TV fee alongside an HD “technology fee”, though at least at Comcast they are wanting TVs to come shipped with their X1 middleware and you don’t need to pay an equipment fee.

In the UK/EU, TV fees are for public broadcasting.

Well, they updated the story

"Update 12/11/2021 @ 2:20 pm ET: The story has been updated to clarify that the key fob's proximity-based radio frequency remote start function will not work without a paid subscription to Toyota's Remote Connect suite of connected services. The Drive regrets any confusion the original copy may have caused.

Got a tip or question for the author? Contact them directly: [email protected]"

Same can be said for people paying for Mercedes or BMW, everyone pays for something that is beyond basic necessities.

SIM card with network connection is a cost, maybe they workout a deal with major phone carriers but IMO they would likely need to pay the phone carriers to be on standby pushing buttons. Also they probably will only have 10% of the people subscribing so the cost of the other 90% in R&D and manufacturing will likely be paid by the 10%.

Last edited:
That could be a huge benefit to law enforcement!
Tesla already knows where your car is, which is a big deterrent to theft.

Of course, smartass phones already show where you are at, so that ship has already sailed...
My concern is actually, with phone based remote start they in theory can be hacked. For FOB if they have unique hardware based key, even with cellular connection to remote start it will in theory be much more secure (unique and not shared with other devices for the same connection).

My concern is actually, with phone based remote start they in theory can be hacked. For FOB if they have unique hardware based key, even with cellular connection to remote start it will in theory be much more secure (unique and not shared with other devices for the same connection).
In theory, the OEM system still be somewhat stronger security-wise than aftermarket, which needs a 3rd party learning or passive bypass for the immobilizer. In those cases, all someone needs to do if they have physical access to the car is to break in, find the aftermarket remote start, figure out how to power the car on and ground the bypass via the ground when armed wire(if not installed in data mode) or supply power to the module.

You could find the phone number for the car’s onboard cellular modem, dial in and figure out via brute force the AT modem strings to gain access to the body control module and then start the car. That’s how someone breached UConnect years ago. All OE-level telematics are using IP-based encrypted controls IIRC.

With the anti idling laws, remote start is iffy in some locations.
Yep... From the Revised Code of Washington, section 46.61.600

"No person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key and effectively setting the brake thereon and, when standing upon any perceptible grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway."

Our local county has a more specific ordinance banning cars from idling unattended.

Back