Toyota to charge $8.00/mo to start vehicle with fob

I would pay $8 a month for December January and February for remote start. Then i'd cancel it. This is hypothetical if GM could somehow add this to my 2005 escalade for 3 months out of the year. No i don't want it bad enough to install a 3rd party system.

The subscription is for app functionality on a smart phone. This is called "remote connect". With this functionality you can start the vehicle and operate several other vehicle functions remotely from a smart phone app, and it also allows the use of Alexa for these remote functions. If you read Toyota's PDF carefully, what it says about the key fob is that if your vehicle is equipped with remote start, it will have this functionality on the key fob, and if it is equipped with remote start it is also equipped with remote connect. This is what it says in the fine print... "Remote Connect equipped vehicles built before 11/12/18 were required to have an active Remote Connect trial or paid subscription for the key fob to perform remote start functionality. The logic has been enhanced to no longer require an active Remote Connect subscription for the key fob to perform remote start functionality." https://www.toyota.com/content/connectedservices/marketing/PDF/Remote_Connect_CFA.pdf

well that certainly makes more sense...

For north Americans it is also strange to pay television tax based on the number of televisions you have in your home. Not for cable/streaming service, just to have televisions.

by household in Germany:

There are different revenue streams in different places. Toyota wanted to cash in.

How is this news? A coworker had a Dodge back in 2016 or so and to use the remote start function from his phone he had to pay for a subscription to a service, the car had a connection via the cellular network I believe, surely Toyota is similar. I wouldn't expect a car company to provide a free service that incurs a service charge for them from a cellular company.

I must be missing something.

Many a flooded carburetor in my youth 😬
Oh the memories you just triggered in me. Freezing winter mornings. 7 am. High school age. My dad needed to get to work. His Chevy Caprice wouldn't start up. He called me outside. I needed to throw on some clothes, grab a screwdriver, pop open the carb butterfly. spray some of that nasty crap inside it, and voila, car started every time. Dad went to work, I went back to bed.

If you dont want to use it, dont pay for it. *shrug* FWIW, my wife's Hyundai is the same way. She has to pay $8 a month for Hyundai Bluelink if she wants to have remote start and be able to control the HVAC inside the car from her phone.
Again, if you dont want to pay for it, you dont have to. You simply wont have remote start. Someone has to pay for the network and if you are going to use it then you should be expected to pay for it.
Here in Ohio, its actually illegal to let your car sit outside idling for extended periods of time; so for me its kind of a moot point anyways. Its something that I hope more states follow suit on because its quite silly to waste gas and pollute the air just so that you dont have to sit in a cold car for a few minutes in the morning.

Oh the memories you just triggered in me. Freezing winter mornings. 7 am. High school age. My dad needed to get to work. His Chevy Caprice wouldn't start up. He called me outside. I needed to throw on some clothes, grab a screwdriver, pop open the carb butterfly. spray some of that nasty crap inside it, and voila, car started every time. Dad went to work, I went back to bed.
I was in kindergarten and my mom was driving a 1986 (I think?) Cutlass Ciera… I was always a gear head so I always wanted to start the car. Mom had the toothbrush in the carb trick down perfectly though!

How is this news? A coworker had a Dodge back in 2016 or so and to use the remote start function from his phone he had to pay for a subscription to a service, the car had a connection via the cellular network I believe, surely Toyota is similar. I wouldn't expect a car company to provide a free service that incurs a service charge for them from a cellular company.

I must be missing something.
FCA/Stellantis does offer a subscription through Uconnect, but the remote start button on the fob functions regardless if you have a subscription or not, and I think that’s what has people upset. I don’t think anyone is mad about paying for a subscription to do it through an app, but to disable the button in the fob that should work regardless is ridiculous IMO.

Here in Ohio, its actually illegal to let your car sit outside idling for extended periods of time; so for me its kind of a moot point anyways. Its something that I hope more states follow suit on because its quite silly to waste gas and pollute the air just so that you dont have to sit in a cold car for a few minutes in the morning.

Here where I live in WA state it was reported that almost 900 vehicles were stolen just last month. I’m not going to make it easier for the thieves by leaving my car running.

Heated seats are a great advantage in cold weather.

Here where I live in WA state it was reported that almost 900 vehicles were stolen just last month. I’m not going to make it easier for the thieves by leaving my car running.

Yes - especially don't leave your $250,000 Bentley Bentayga alone and running with the keys inside and expect it to still be there when you get back!

Two thieves crashed a luxury SUV worth upwards of $250,000 shortly after stealing it from a Wayne residence, authorities said. The owner called police from another vehicle while chasing the bandits who snatched the 2021 Bentley Bentayga from Massola Drive shortly before 2 p.m. Tuesday, Detective Capt. Dan Daly said. The owner lost sight of the vehicle after it turned onto Hamburg Turnpike off Berdan Avenue but gave a dispatcher enough information to point police in the right direction, Daly said. Officer William Hall began pursuing the vehicle on Alps Road a short time later, he said. Traffic Bureau Lt. Joe Rooney ordered all officers to break off the pursuit after the speeding southbound driver steered into the northbound lane, Daly said. Moments later, the Bentley crashed and rolled at Alps Road and Maple Avenue, he said.

Two occupants hopped out and bolted into nearby woods. Officers John Culic and Denis Zamora chased both of them down, assisted by Rooney, the captain said. [...] They were each charged with theft, resisting arrest, eluding and criminal mischief and sent to the Passaic County Jail to await first appearances.

Daly, meanwhile, urged all owners to lock their cars and take their keys or key fobs no matter where they park or for how long – and to never leave running vehicles unattended. “Motor vehicle theft out of residential driveways has increased statewide and has become a frequent problem,” the captain said. “These vehicles are then driven in a reckless manner, even when not pursued by police, and are often involved in crashes and/or used in the commission of serious crimes. “Please do your part in public safety by not making it easy for criminals to commit these offenses,” he added.

If you dont want to use it, dont pay for it. *shrug* FWIW, my wife's Hyundai is the same way. She has to pay $8 a month for Hyundai Bluelink if she wants to have remote start and be able to control the HVAC inside the car from her phone.
Again, if you dont want to pay for it, you dont have to. You simply wont have remote start. Someone has to pay for the network and if you are going to use it then you should be expected to pay for it.
because I explicitly took it as a fee to simply use the remote start that's on the fob..nothing to do with apps on your phone. ie: my 19' Crv has remote start built within the fob.

FCA/Stellantis does offer a subscription through Uconnect, but the remote start button on the fob functions regardless if you have a subscription or not, and I think that’s what has people upset. I don’t think anyone is mad about paying for a subscription to do it through an app, but to disable the button in the fob that should work regardless is ridiculous IMO.
bingo...

Toyota didnt even add Apple CarPlay to the Tacoma until 2020. Now they think they are so tech savvy that they can charge a monthly fee for access to their “tech?”

LOL.

For north Americans it is also strange to pay television tax based on the number of televisions you have in your home. Not for cable/streaming service, just to have televisions.

by household in Germany:

There are different revenue streams in different places. Toyota wanted to cash in.

Those fees are to fund public television

Toyota didnt even add Apple CarPlay to the Tacoma until 2020. Now they think they are so tech savvy that they can charge a monthly fee for access to their “tech?”

LOL.
Ya know, this is a good point. Our 2018 RX450h had Lexus whatever stuff while many econoboxes had Apple and Andriod connectivity.
Ditto for our Tesla; while it is super high tech, there is no Apple or Android stuff. Good in many ways but lacking in others.

The cheapo JVC refurb deck in my Tundra has all that stuff.

Ya know, this is a good point. Our 2018 RX450h had Lexus whatever stuff while many econoboxes had Apple and Andriod connectivity.
Ditto for our Tesla; while it is super high tech, there is no Apple or Android stuff. Good in many ways but lacking in others.

The cheapo JVC refurb deck in my Tundra has all that stuff.

I really need to put a CarPlay head unit in my old Tacoma.

I’ve owned Toyota’s for a long time, but the idea that I would pay a fee to access their “tech” is laughable.

I want to tell them :
1F92780B-D396-4255-BC95-C69D51FFC4E5.jpeg

Back