Toyota to charge $8.00/mo to start vehicle with fob

This seems a bit...ridiculous. I can see charging to start via a app that requires an internet connection to the vehicle, but this is the fob communicating directly with the vehicle.

That is Toyota UK so it's not surprising. We'll see if it makes it over here. Remember Mercedes is Charging a fee for European countries to "unlock " the new EQS all-wheel-steering while not charging USA customers.

I had heard from some Toyota parts people I know that this applies only to using the phone to remote start, and not the key itself.
Isn't that currently how it works? I did not renew the subscription for my Tundra or RX 350 but the key fobs still work.

OnStar is no different - need a subscription to use the app to start your car. Key FOB remains free until they figure out a way to make that subscription only too.

GM tried so hard to get me to subscribe for $39.95/month for the top subscription... to tell me my tire pressures and OLM reading... oh and turn by turn voice directions.

Jeep has had this for years. The phone remote start feature is "free" for the first year. Your phone will start your car from anywhere. After the first year there is a fee. But the remote start on the FOB will always work with no additional fee.

The difference is range. With the FOB it's limited to a few hundred feet. With the remote start app, in theory you could start your car in your driveway in Cleveland from the Eiffel Tower.

I pay $9.99 per month for Tesla Connectivity.
I use Live traffic visualization, satellite view maps and music streaming (blues music and radio stations like KGO San Francisco).
I haven't tried any of the other stuff like Internet browser and video streaming.
It was free for the 1st year; that's how they get ya...

Jeep has had this for years. The phone remote start feature is "free" for the first year. Your phone will start your car from anywhere. After the first year there is a fee. But the remote start on the FOB will always work with no additional fee.

The difference is range. With the FOB it's limited to a few hundred feet. With the remote start app, in theory you could start your car in your driveway in Cleveland from the Eiffel Tower.
A lot of companies have had it for years on the "phone app" but no one has done it for the key fob. lol

Back