Toyota to charge $8.00/mo to start vehicle with fob

Update from Toyota explained by lawyer Steve Lehto:

Bottom line: Toyota is rethinking this charge and most likely won't do it based on the backlash from the public.

really Toyota?? it took this to re-think about it....I mean did you really think the general public was going to accept this with open arms??

really Toyota?? it took this to re-think about it....I mean did you really think the general public was going to accept this with open arms??
No, but if Toyota gets away with it, the rest of the manufacturers will follow its lead. Recall that BMW recently proposed this same stunt with heated seats and Apple Carplay, but public reaction was fierce and those nickel and diming stunts were shelved, at least for now. But eventually the auto car-tel (see what I did there?) will impose this subscription service garbage and we'll be stuck unless governments lift a finger to stop it. (which they won't do because they are bought and paid for too).

Update:

According to this video, this idea came courtesy of Tesla about 10 years ago. If Tesla hadn't started this idea in the automotive arena, it probably would have still happened, but much later on.

Last edited:
The question is, does the remote fob connect to a cellular or some other network that requires a subscription? A lot of vehicles come with apps where you can check tire pressure, flash the headlights, remote start from way beyond the distance of a normal remote. This requires cellular connectivity. So starting the car from your phone app requires connecting to manufacturer servers which then ping the car from a cell tower. Not sure if the fob does this, that would be impressive. If its just 433mhz local radio then shame on Toyota.

Last edited:
Update:

According to this video, this idea came courtesy of Tesla about 10 years ago. If Tesla hadn't started this idea in the automotive arena, it probably would have still happened, but much later on.

I mean, supposedly, Tesla can remotely turn car features on and off.

The world is passing me by , so be it . I can start my truck with my phone for no charge though . I don't use it .

Back