Toyota halts US sales of 8 recalled vehicle models

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a person to do with a new Camry, less than 3,000 miles, which my wife is deathly afraid to drive, due to this problem? Should my dealer be able to help out with another car, a buyback, or a long term loaner?

What annoys me more than Toyota trying to spin and cover up earlier on is how certain news orginization (Fox) try to spin it with propaganda. For example, "Toyota known for the highest quality and reliability..is recalling 8 models. Then they put up a list of largest recalls and Ford and GM were on it. Of course this is going back to the early 70's when Ford and GM were supplying probably 75%+ of all cars sold. The earlier recalls of the domestic was not equivalent or really relevent. Just spin and propaganda.

Why do groups that aren't even affiliated with Toyota carry its corporate water?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What annoys me more than Toyota trying to spin and cover up earlier on is how certain news orginization (Fox) try to spin it with propaganda. For example, "Toyota known for the highest quality and reliability..is recalling 8 models. Then they put up a list of largest recalls and Ford and GM were on it. Of course this is going back to the early 70's when Ford and GM were supplying probably 75%+ of all cars sold. The earlier recalls of the domestic was not equivalent or really relevent. Just spin and propaganda.

Why do groups that aren't even affiliated with Toyota carry its corporate water?

+1 I also noticed the same, its all Bull!

Originally Posted By: lenjack
What's a person to do with a new Camry, less than 3,000 miles, which my wife is deathly afraid to drive, due to this problem? Should my dealer be able to help out with another car, a buyback, or a long term loaner?

Well first things make sure she understands the procedure to pop the car into neutral, press the brake hard one time continuously, then pull over and shut off engine.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Has anybody noticed the suspicious Toyota's behavior with this problem?

1. Toyota says there is absolutely no problem with their cars.

2. Then, they say that floor mats are the culprit and that NHTSA said that there are no other issues.

3. NHTSA publically reprimands Toyota for twisting NHTSA's report to put the issue in a better light.

4. Toyota recalls vehicles to shorten the pedal, again they claim that the floor mat interference is the culprit.

5. And now they recall even more cars, and say the accelerator assembly may stick.

6. And, oh, by the way, we'll also update the electronic throttle control after we fiddle with the gas pedal and carpet.

All I hear is "accelerator pedal" and "floormats". Toyota is doing a wonderful job of distracting all of us from the real issue of problems with the throttle-by-wire design.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

2. Then, they say that floor mats are the culprit and that NHTSA said that there are no other issues.

3. NHTSA publically reprimands Toyota for twisting NHTSA's report to put the issue in a better light.

4. Toyota recalls vehicles to shorten the pedal, again they claim that the floor mat interference is the culprit.

5. And now they recall even more cars, and say the accelerator assembly may stick.

6. And, oh, by the way, we'll also update the electronic throttle control after we fiddle with the gas pedal and carpet.

All I hear is "accelerator pedal" and "floormats". Toyota is doing a wonderful job of distracting all of us from the real issue of problems with the throttle-by-wire design.

Man!!! What a great corp. Toyota is!!

Well first things make sure she understands the procedure to pop the car into neutral, press the brake hard one time continuously, then pull over and shut off engine.

Remind her stop drinking the Toyota koolaid, bet she bought the Camry because it was on the Yuppie reports recommended list/must have.

I wonder what spin Consumer Reports will place on this fiasco for the almight toyota.

I think you are over generalizing the problems with DBW throttle, I think that there might be a problem with Toyota's DBW throttle design, but pretty much all other car manufacturers have a DBW throttle implementation, in at least some of their models, and they don't have the same problems as Toyota does.

Yeah and if you worked for Toyota, you would probably do the same thing. Welcome to the world of business.

The problem rarely occurs anyway since I would tell your wife to not worry about it. The severity of the problem is seriously being blown way out of proportion.

I had to do this with oilbabe. We were discussing runaway acceleration, switching to neutral, and turning the key back one click, and she said, "You could do that?" I had her practise this a few times to show her that one can indeed do these simple things in case something horrible goes wrong.

Quote:
The problem rarely occurs anyway since I would tell your wife to not worry about it. The severity of the problem is seriously being blown way out of proportion.

Tell that to the family that went thru the chainlink fence into the pond and were killed!

Nothing to see here, move along!

This is what they get. They deserve eveything that's coming to them. To deceive the american public about how poorly Toyota's been making they're cars and doing anything to cover it up. Even paying off accident victums big money to keep their mouths shut is unbelieveable.

Even a cave man can tell you it's cheaper in the long run to correct the problems instead of continuing to cover them up and trying to be the largest car maker in america.

The entire CEO and board should step down.

I think you are over generalizing the problems with DBW throttle, I think that there might be a problem with Toyota's DBW throttle design, but pretty much all other car manufacturers have a DBW throttle implementation, in at least some of their models, and they don't have the same problems as Toyota does.

In an earlier thread on this issue someone pointed out that Toyota didn't design in fail-safe features in their DBW design as other manufacturers have. Perhaps this is why Toyota, and not other manufacturers, are having this problem.

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
I cant wait to see how this thread turns out.....just look at the other toyota thread.

Your prediction is quickly becoming true.

Quote:
Yeah and if you worked for Toyota, you would probably do the same thing. Welcome to the world of business.

Well, for years we've been told that the evil corporations were the big 3 and that Toyota was heads and shoulders above them when it came to quality, honesty and buisness ethics, so what happend to the mighty Toyota and why some still insist to give Toyota a free pass?

There is absolutely no excuse for what they did, you can't hide behind the "Welcome to the world of business" especially when the company itself was touting it's ethics and "doing the right thing for the customers" for so long. I mean, they just said they stopped production "to protect customer", when in fact they were told to do so.

I was just at the body shop, and they were doing everything they could to find rental cars for two of their customers.

Seems there's a sudden shortage of rental cars in town, and nothing is available from anyone.

I drove by the Enterprise lot, and it only had a few cars sitting in behind the building.

It makes me wonder if the rental companies have suspended renting out the Toyotas in their fleets, and are now short of vehicles.

It looks like Toyota knew about the issue and was hoping that the whole thing would just go away. If they indeed were trying to cover up this issue, plus other stuff, which seems to be supported by their ex-lawyer, then Toyota is in for a rough reality check.

There is more to the story. The problems started way before CTS gas pedal. Either the earlier, Denso pedal was defective, or problem lies somewhere else. I can't believe their engineers can't figure it out. They sound like total morons. Did they outsource engineering out from Japan?

Originally Posted By: Norse
Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
The car industry might suffer as a whole, if the top perceived value car maker can screw up what chance does a GM have to make me a good car?

That just a dumb statement! All this is telling me is that the perception of Toy has been wrong. It has nothing to do with GM or anyone else.

Sorry but I think your statement is stupid too....this latest Toyota fiasco does not in any way negate their prior excellent reputation. Good companies can go bad, and that is what today's Toyota story proves.

It is true however that Toyota mishandled this issue, and did a horrible job of it, and it's Karma will get severely damaged, as it should.

This issue is nearly 2 years old, having claimed at least 19 lives, and the lawsuits will fly, and lets all hope Toyota loses at least 80% of it's value, standing, and may this be a lesson to all other car makers of what will happen when they lie to the public.

Those shopping for a Toyota will not go domestic....they will just go to one of the other Japanese makers if they're smart.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I was just at the body shop, and they were doing everything they could to find rental cars for two of their customers.

Seems there's a sudden shortage of rental cars in town, and nothing is available from anyone.

I drove by the Enterprise lot, and it only had a few cars sitting in behind the building.

It makes me wonder if the rental companies have suspended renting out the Toyotas in their fleets, and are now short of vehicles.

Thats interesting because the most popular rental cars on lots by far I have seen, are Chrysler Sebrings, Chevy Cobalts, Ford Escapes, and Honda Civic/Accords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back