Toyota halts US sales of 8 recalled vehicle models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Toyota's reputation is certainly going to take a huge hit from this., Especially since it is CNN.com front page news. I forsee sales of Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Hyundai to go rise.

More like Honda and Nissan

I think Toyota has done a similar move when I was a kid - when the Lexus LS400 had issues with the CMHSL and cruise control. They issued a recall of EVERY LS sold and even went to the owner's home to fix the issue.

Honda's going to be next, but they have a "our lips are sealed" attitude. Their trannies are a ticking time bomb.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In reality, it is a good move on their part, and likely saves time and money in the long run.

Yes, it will save money in the long run, but boy, those short term costs have got to be sky high, much more than I can imagine or could stomach.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Wonder if my 09 pontiac vibe would be recalled? I suppose it should be.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if GM clones will be recalled. You definitely have a good case to have your car included since it rolled off the same line as the Matrix.

They aren't made on the same assembly line. It would be interesting to know how much programming they share, if any.

I think I'd be asking my dealer that question, starting first thing this morning. And I wouldn't let up until I got a confident answer.

The '09-'10 Vibes are being recalled:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/car...0-Pontiac-Vibe/

Quote:
A massive recall of more than two million Toyota vehicles last week has prompted a much smaller recall from Pontiac. After all, Toyota built the last Pontiac. General Motors is recalling 2009 and 2010 Pontiac Vibe wagons due to a potential defect that could lead to sudden, uncontrolled acceleration.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Honda's going to be next, but they have a "our lips are sealed" attitude. Their trannies are a ticking time bomb.

We brought our Accord back to the dealer under warranty because the transmission was shifting so hard it was losing traction when shifting. The Honda service manager continually asked my sister "are you SURE you don't have a manual transmission?"

Its funny how the Tacoma from 2005+ was on that list when it first came out...why all the sudden was it removed. Im sure Lexus will be on the chopping block.

The domestics lost sight of the long term with stuff like this, and they paid for it.

The domestics recalled vehicles when they needed to, and fixed their stuff.

They just had too many, IMO. But it is looking the same for toyota - all kinds of issues from their smart and reliable cars.

Never had to worry about a sudden acceleration problem in a Yugo or a Pinto
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Never had to worry about a sudden acceleration problem in a Yugo or a Pinto
wink.gif

Wasn't it the sudden deceleration that got you in those?

Nothing to see here folks, move along LOl

More toyota propoganda, were so concerned about the safety of customers( NOT) that we will stop selling them LOL

guess they are only doing this because they are now required too!

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau
Washington -- Federal regulators said today that Toyota Motor Corp. was legally required to stop selling the eight models it recalled last week.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100127/...s#ixzz0dpMGTxOj

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100127/...-selling-models

This is all quite simple.

If there's actual linkage between the gas pedal and the fuel injection system, then there's no problem.

Having software and sensors control the fuel system......... No thanks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The domestics lost sight of the long term with stuff like this, and they paid for it.

The domestics recalled vehicles when they needed to, and fixed their stuff.

They just had too many, IMO. But it is looking the same for toyota - all kinds of issues from their smart and reliable cars.

I'm not trying to go too far into that can of worms, but there were plenty of things they tried to simply ignore until forced to deal with them, such as Ford brake pressure switches and the Firestone fiasco. These issues were not 100% Ford's fault, but they were slow to respond. But yes, when millions of vehicles are affected it's not easy.

People will forgive a company if they fix a problem quickly, but sweeping it under the rug is a way to get bit in the [censored]. I think that's what Toyota was trying to do at first...just ignore it and blame it on floor mats/customers.

People will forgive a company if they fix a problem quickly, but sweeping it under the rug is a way to get bit in the [censored]. I think that's what Toyota was trying to do at first...just ignore it and blame it on floor mats/customers.

+1

Has anybody noticed the suspicious Toyota's behavior with this problem?

1. Toyota says there is absolutely no problem with their cars.

2. Then, they say that floor mats are the culprit and that NHTSA said that there are no other issues.

3. NHTSA publically reprimands Toyota for twisting NHTSA's report to put the issue in a better light.

4. Toyota recalls vehicles to shorten the pedal, again they claim that the floor mat interference is the culprit.

5. And now they recall even more cars, and say the accelerator assembly may stick.

It looks like Toyota knew about the issue and was hoping that the whole thing would just go away. If they indeed were trying to cover up this issue, plus other stuff, which seems to be supported by their ex-lawyer, then Toyota is in for a rough reality check.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
The car industry might suffer as a whole, if the top perceived value car maker can screw up what chance does a GM have to make me a good car?

That just a dumb statement! All this is telling me is that the perception of Toy has been wrong. It has nothing to do with GM or anyone else.

01rangerxlIt's good to see Toyota doing something other than putting zip ties on floor mats. [/quote said:
Only because they are being forced to (in typical Toy fashion).

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Has anybody noticed the suspicious Toyota's behavior with this problem?

1. Toyota says there is absolutely no problem with their cars.

2. Then, they say that floor mats are the culprit and that NHTSA said that there are no other issues.

3. NHTSA publically reprimands Toyota for twisting NHTSA's report to put the issue in a better light.

4. Toyota recalls vehicles to shorten the pedal, again they claim that the floor mat interference is the culprit.

5. And now they recall even more cars, and say the accelerator assembly may stick.

It looks like Toyota knew about the issue and was hoping that the whole thing would just go away. If they indeed were trying to cover up this issue, plus other stuff, which seems to be supported by their ex-lawyer, then Toyota is in for a rough reality check.

of course they did, they did not want to burn thier reputation. I am glad my toyota is not affected but they are far from indestructable. They tried to hide it at first, then they tried to make it more public friendly now they were forced to stop selling those cars and they will hurt for it.

They avoided this as long as they could to continue selling those vehicles to the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back