Toyota halts US sales of 8 recalled vehicle models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 6:33 PM EST

Toyota halts US sales of 8 recalled vehicle models

By KEN THOMAS
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Toyota Motor Co. said Tuesday it was suspending U.S. sales of eight recalled vehicle models to fix accelerator pedals that stick, the latest quality problem to confront the world's No. 1 automaker.

As part of the plan, Toyota said it was halting production at five manufacturing facilities for the week of Feb. 1 "to assess and coordinate activities." There are 2.3 million vehicles involved in the recall, which was announced last week.

"This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized," said Bob Carter, Toyota's group vice president and general manager.

The Japanese automaker says the sales suspension includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

It was unclear how long Toyota would suspend production of the vehicles. In an e-mail to employees, company officials said, "we don't know yet how long this pause will last but we will make every effort to resume production soon." Toyota officials did not immediately return phone messages.

Toyota said the company would stop producing vehicles at plants in Indiana, Kentucky, Texas and Canada. They said no other North American Toyota facility would be affected by the decision.

The auto company said the sales suspension would not affect Lexus or Scion vehicles. Toyota said the Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, would remain for sale.

Toyota said last week it was recalling 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix accelerator pedals with mechanical problems that could cause them to become stuck.

That announcement followed a larger recall months earlier of 4.2 million vehicles because of problems with gas pedals becoming trapped under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration. That problem was the cause of several crashes, including some fatalities.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

How am I going to feel smart, if I can't buy one of those toyota models?

In reality, it is a good move on their part, and likely saves time and money in the long run.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

In reality, it is a good move on their part, and likely saves time and money in the long run.

I agree with this. Sweeping it under the rug and hoping for the best, especially given the widespread knowledge of this problem would create a perfect environment for class action and punitive damages.

I agree with you jhzr, although its a shame that the factory workers and all the suppliers and other support labor that goes into getting a car to market have to suffer.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
I agree with you jhzr, although its a shame that the factory workers and all the suppliers and other support labor that goes into getting a car to market have to suffer.

I don't see how they will. If toyota really screwed up so bad that they loose market share, then them and their labor and their suppliers will all take the brunt. However, if the population sees this as a non-issue, then there will be no cars of some sort in the dealers for a short while, and no sales will be balanced b higher than average sales, and it will likely balance out within a few cars overall.

If the population sees this as a bad sign and determines that another brand is a better buy, well then shame on toyota for having a lousy product...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Stop sales are normal when there is a recall on a current production vehicle. We cannot sell a vehicle that has an open recall on it.

They are stopping production as well...

I find it funny they stopped selling the 2005 Avalon.

This BBS consensus was that it was more than just floor mats, months ago.

Even in the short term, Toyota's reputation will take a hit whether it lasts will be up to Toyota's resolution of this problem and how each dealer handles its customers.

The car industry might suffer as a whole, if the top perceived value car maker can screw up what chance does a GM have to make me a good car?

Quote:
The Japanese automaker says the sales suspension includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

Say a Toyota dealer has a 2009 Avalon that was a demonstrator, and a pre-owned 2008 Camry. Are they allowed to sell them?

From how it is worded above, the answer would be NO.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Quote:

Say a Toyota dealer has a 2009 Avalon that was a demonstrator, and a pre-owned 2008 Camry. Are they allowed to sell them? From how it is worded above, the answer would be NO.

Even on our used car side, we call the dealer for that brand and check for recalls. If there are any we send them over to get taken care of and cant sell it until the recall is closed. Whenever a new one hits from Ford we pull the affected cars off the lot until the recall is done.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
The car industry might suffer as a whole, if the top perceived value car maker can screw up what chance does a GM have to make me a good car?

I doubt it, I think it will finally be a wake up call to people who think "Toyota quality" is the be all end all. Toyota has been on a downward slide for some time now, and I'm surprised more people outside of those in the know haven't realized it yet.

Can they recall our '99 Sienna for a new engine design that doesn't cause sludge, trans, rear window that fell out, CD player that stopped working, gear shift lever that almost fell off, a clock that went dead, side runners that warped and converter shields that dragged along the ground. Oh and sitting in the rear seat made any passenger sick to their stomach even after alignment, new tires & brakes, etc...

All in 43,000 miles.

Toyota. Quality isn't Job #1.

Toyota's reputation is certainly going to take a huge hit from this., Especially since it is CNN.com front page news. I forsee sales of Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Hyundai to go rise.

So I wonder if the ECU is faulty as well as the CTS made throttle bodies. I guess Denso was not the cheapest supplier when toyota wanted throttle bodies.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Wonder if my 09 pontiac vibe would be recalled? I suppose it should be.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if GM clones will be recalled. You definitely have a good case to have your car included since it rolled off the same line as the Matrix.

It's good to see Toyota doing something other than putting zip ties on floor mats. It might not be good right now, but the long term is what matters. The domestics lost sight of the long term with stuff like this, and they paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back