Toyota Dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shop Bay Area California dealers online & buy a one way Southwest Airlines flight. Bay Area dealers have pretty good competitive deals as there's many dealers owned by single owners or big corporations.

Originally Posted By: CJWinWA
Fortunately, I've fled Washington for Oregon, so the tax isn't an issue anymore. After airplane ticket, gas and hotel, I did save 8K on my last f150 buying out of Seattle.

Good on ya. Oregon is very nice. The WA sales tax is now 10%+. That really hits when you buy a new car as I did a couple of months ago. Plus the registration and plates are several hundred more.

Considering that you are in Oregon now, why not a volume dealer in Portland? I know Tonkin is a big name there but there should be several in the area.

I had a 1995 Tacoma before they got as big as they are now. Best pickup I ever owned.

Sometimes it depends on where you live...

Living in Ford's back yard does get some good deals for the big trucks...as even Toyota will discount them here.

Interesting part id that there tends to be no deals on the smaller trucks (Tacoma and GM twins)

Though when the Ranger gets here, I expect some dealing on the smaller trucks too...

Buy at the end of a month. Especially if there is a contest going on. Actually most contests go into the first few days of the following month. Find the highest volume salesman if you can. They like money and know how to make deals. Just go to parts counter and service dept and ask which salesman they would buy from. You'd probably get a consensus.

Originally Posted By: CJWinWA
I live in the Pacific Northwest, and for the past twenty years have resorted to buying new, mostly Ford trucks from a distance. With my last truck, I saved $8,000.00 by buying it from a dealer in Salt Lake City.

I intend to buy a Toyota truck this time, and am having great difficulty with the local dealers, and have not had much luck online.

I would like to find a Toyota dealer that sells in a way similar to how Dave Smith in Idaho works. is there such a place?

You're simply not going to get $8,000 off the MSRP on a Toyota truck. Period.

The domestics have a lot more room to deal built into their price than Toyota.

My local Toyota dealer, Charles Barker, in Virginia Beach, gave my MIL a great deal on her 2014 Avalon.

They also provide great service, have great parts support (Vicky, the parts manager, helped me out often with my 1990 4Runner) and I would happily buy from them again. But they were only willing to go about $4,000 off on my 2016 Tundra, which had an MSRP of $51,000. After quite a bit of research, including using USAA car buying service, that's about as good as it gets on a Tundra. The Tacoma is similar.

Personally, I despise the whole domestic truck maker game: jack up the MSRP and then give you a great "deal". Why not list the truck for $100,000 and then give you $50,000 off! What a great deal!! Right?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Shop, shop, shop.

Treat it like you’re bidding it out. Email as many dealers as you can. Be polite; tell them what you’re in the market for and don’t hide the fact that you’re shopping around. Make it known that you will buy from whoever gives you the best bottom line price.

This is the only way you will be able to get anything off MSRP.

Toyota and Honda dealers are some of the most arrogant A-holes in the business, because they know their reputation sells their cars. We have one locally that specifically has a no-negotiation policy, and their prices are not any better than the surrounding dealers.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Shop, shop, shop.

Treat it like you’re bidding it out. Email as many dealers as you can. Be polite; tell them what you’re in the market for and don’t hide the fact that you’re shopping around. Make it known that you will buy from whoever gives you the best bottom line price.

Toyota and Honda dealers are some of the most arrogant A-holes in the business, because they know their reputation sells their cars. We have one locally that specifically has a no-negotiation policy, and their prices are not any better than the surrounding dealers.

I would agree that some Honda and Toyota dealers can be arrogant and I don't give a dime to those.

But some are pretty reasonable if you go in with a reasonable offer. As others have mentioned, it isn't typical to get a massive discount off the sticker price compared to a domestic dealership. They sell enough and have a reliability track record that means they don't have to play that game.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Shop, shop, shop.

I would agree that some Honda and Toyota dealers can be arrogant and I don't give a dime to those.

But some are pretty reasonable if you go in with a reasonable offer. As others have mentioned, it isn't typical to get a massive discount off the sticker price compared to a domestic dealership. They sell enough and have a reliability track record that means they don't have to play that game.

The funny part is that the one with the no-negotiation policy has a bunch of A-hole salesman and owners, but the parts department has some of the nicest staff I've met haha.

Last 2 times I've leased I got several stores involved via email, told all 3 what I was doing and what my expectation was, and saved money both times.

The last time, I had to drive 50 miles each way to Dayton to get my Jetta, because the Cincinnati dealers (part of 2 different dealer groups) just wouldn't deal and the guys in Dayton came in SIGNIFICANTLY lower...like $60/MO lower on the lease for identical cars.

It helps to have Tier 1 or Tier 2 credit so they can't gig you after the fact on financing, or have your own financing set in advance.

A friend of mine just bought a used Chevy truck from a Toyota dealer. I overheard some deals going on and it seems like there isn't much markup on import brands. I must say that the dealership experience was pretty good. They do seem to take care of their customers, but that varies from dealer to dealer. The dealer I visited was Priority Toyota in Chester, VA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Toyota is worth what you pay for.

No point in arguing with the market. Even (maybe especially) if you subscribe to the idea that there is a stupendous durability advantage justifying the price premium, your percentage move is to get a used one. The price difference is pretty subdued 5-6 years out.

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly is the bad experience you're having?

Like said, email the dealer and suggest you're willing to buy today if the price they quote you is right.

I know my local Toyota dealer will give you a price by email. I know the 2016 Camry LE (base model) we bought for my mom was quoted at ~$700 off MSRP if I recall correctly. They would not move another cent lower. The higher the sticker, the more they could take off obviously.

You have to be careful with dealer fees, etc, they'll try to add to the purchase price. Be clear that if you find those out of line, the deal is off.

Last edited:
Many of the Toyota dealers operating in my part of the country are among the most ruthless and dishonest new car dealers that exist.
Whatever you do, don't buy a new Toyota product from a dealer located in one of the states where Toyota has independent distributors (Gulf States Toyota and Southeast Toyota). In addition to adding useless/worthless/overpriced options to the vehicles that they sell, these distributors jack-up the prices that their dealers have to pay for the vehicles, which reduces the amount of discount that a dealer can offer. In other words, you are going to pay more for a Toyota in one of these states.

Last edited:
1. go online, to edmunds or other site, to get exact pricing for msrp and invoice of exactly the truck you want.
2. call dealer, ask to speak with internet sales
3. tell internet sales the truck you want, and the price you will pay, which should be invoice, or no more than 500 over invoice.
4. hopefully you are getting a rebate in your area, I think it is up to 1750 on a tundra.

So the price should be about invoice, minus the rebate if any, plus a doc fee of 300-500. And tax plus financing if you are.

Oh, and don't let toyota say you cant have the cash rebate and low finance. Fight hard for both or walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back