Torn Pro-Tec oil filter on Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
So following the logic in this thread, do you think that the vast majority of the millions of vehicles on the road are at risk of filter failure and that there are many more failures than we know about? That would seem to be the case if what many are saying here is true since most people get their oil changed by a shop, and they always use cheap filters. I've bought a lot of used cars in my life and I don't think I've ever purchased one that had anything but the lowest quality jobber filter on it, and sometimes I can't even recognize the brand. Actually, I have inherited a few orange cans too--again the lowest level filter from Fram.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That was why I stopped using Pure One Purolator filters. If a filter can't stand up to the advertised time/mileage I'm not going to use it.

Yes, and the PureOne should be ahead of many OEM filters in features. Things like the advertised high efficiency and silicone ADBV should mean it's tiered above a lot of OEM filters, not poorer than them.

I thought the low recommended mileage figures for the cheapest filters was because they have lower capacity to hold dirt. No matter what length of time or distance it's used, it shouldn't tear or fail. The other thing is when they say meets OE specs it doesn't include capacity as far as I know. I don't know OE's who state capacity. Specs are canister size, thread size, bypass yes/no, adbv y/n, things like that.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That was why I stopped using Pure One Purolator filters. If a filter can't stand up to the advertised time/mileage I'm not going to use it.

Yes, and the PureOne should be ahead of many OEM filters in features. Things like the advertised high efficiency and silicone ADBV should mean it's tiered above a lot of OEM filters, not poorer than them.

Exactly and you're paying up for that, no thanks for now. Let them convince me they got their act together and maybe when my current stash needs replenishment I'll give them a try if the price is right.

Agreed. The PureOne was a gold standard for filters in a lot of ways. It should have carried on as a no-brainer of a choice, with a decent price. Now, to get something better in filtration and with some good construction features, one has to step up another tier. As it was, The PureOne had a decent lock as the leader in its tier. Now, nope.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
A tool was used to tighten it .

I'd hope so. You need a 32mm socket to install the filter cap.
laugh.gif

Fwiw you can't damage an ecotec filter from over tightening it. The cap has a lip that bottoms out on the housing. If over torqued you'll break the cap.

But either way the cap did not require excessive effort to remove. That was not a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back