Tire place refused to sell just 2 snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a tire shop (Town Fair Tire) to order 2 General Altimax Artics. He writes up 4. I told him I only wanted 2. "No, no, sir, we can't do that!" I asked him if he was going sell 2 or not and he said no, mentioning that "It's in the owner's manual." It may be, but on-line retailers allow twosies. I walked out the door as he was finishing his sentence.

I know ideally 4 snow tires would be best. I also know ideally I'd be thin, rich, live in a mansion and have a super model wife. The point being you do what you can with what you got. Also, back in the 70s, everyone bought snows for the rear axle and we somehow learned how to drive and survive.

Has anyone else encountered this? If I hadn't stormed out I am now thinking that maybe they would have sold them unmounted (and then had my regular mechanic mount them for me).

They are for a 2005 Nissan Frontier, 2WD. It has only 13,000 miles and that is why I don't want to replace all 4. In the meantime I'll be slip-sliding through another winter.

I've heard similar stories. I think the best thing might be just bring the wheels in and make up a story that you already have two of the same new tires at home that you bought last year. If that fails buy 2 tires online.

Put enough weight in the back you'll only be slip-sliding when you want to. Even with the [censored] conti's on the Ranger when I put the heavy fiberglass topper on the back it plows through the snow.. granted I don't live in Maine so don't know how much snow you get.

For most of us, snows are of limited use. They don't help that much after the snow is quickly packed down to ice. If I was going to buy snow tires, I would still stick to 2.

Around here, people have forgotten how to drive in snow and the authorities find it cheaper to declare an emergency and cancel everything than plow the snow. Wimps.

I had a similar incident a few years ago (also with Town Fair Tire, but in CT). Someone slashed the two right side tires on my Audi A6 in a mall parking lot. I'd just put all 4 on about 6 months prior. They outright refused to sell me only 2 tires. So....I tell them to kiss my behind and I arrange to have the car flatbedded somewhere else. The other shop agreed to match Town Fair's per tire price. They sent their own flatbed and only charged me $20 for the tow. So now I don't ever shop at Town Fair and I encourage other people to shun them as well. I continue to do business with the other shop, even though I've since moved and it's an hour drive to get there now.

I learned to drive in the 70's on RWD cars, I put snows in the back and managed to get around just fine. Granted I don't live in Maine, but the cars managed back then. Knowing how to drive in the snow is 90% of the battle.

Being able to buy what you want is a big help too. A lot of that has to do with people sueing over every little thing so businesses have to cover themselves. Which is why they are trying to sell 4 tires.

Quote:

I went to a tire shop (Town Fair Tire)

I suspected it was all downhill from there.....

Nothing but bad stories about that place. Of course some people don't mind getting pooped on for the lowest price.

They once advertised glass belted tires on sale; when I went to buy them, the guy indicated with my car "I would be all over the road" because the tire belts aren't strong enough and I should look at these (more expensive) tires. I asked if they are so dangerous, why are you selling them?

I'd agree the key to winter driving is the operator. I had a 1973 Buick Lesabre for 3 years in Rochester NY and planning where you were going and picking an appropriate route kept me out of trouble.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Has anyone else encountered this? If I hadn't stormed out I am now thinking that maybe they would have sold them unmounted (and then had my regular mechanic mount them for me).

You did the right thing. That guy doesn't deserve your business.

Go see VIP!
wink.gif

State law (FWIW) only forbids two studded snows on front. Of course they might quote store policy, insurance reasons, etc.

Try and get them into an argument where they say "it's illegal" then have them quote law once backed into a corner. If they do inspections ask to see the inspection handbook.

Or just bring the rims in as said above.

I would definitely take your business elsewhere, but I would talk to THE manager, not the on duty manager but the head cheese and appraise him of why you will be taking your business elsewhere. You never know they could reverse themselves and make it up to you.

Can you run studded tires up there during the winter? If you can I'd get a pair for the back & some weight over the wheels and your good to go.

Playing devil's advocate:

How many lawsuits do you think it would take to convince a tire retailer that installing only 2 winter tires is not economically viable?

I think the answer is one. They would have to sell an awful lot of tires to make up losing one multi-million dollar lawsuit.

Wow. Never ran into that. However, have run into a problem trying to buy just one tire (cash & carry).

Him: What do you want just one tire for?
Me: I run car tires on some of my motorcycles

(SHOCKED look on his face).. you can guess the rest.

I have two extra rims for my front-wheel-drive car. I change them out in winter. Of course, this is Missouri and we really don't get a lot of snow. Never really figured the need for all four winter tires. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Call it anyway you want it but snow tires on all 4 wheels during winter time is what it should be (and it's the law here too).

I'm with capriracer in this case for I've seen all kinds of slip-sliding away on slopes and slants and highways during icey winter period, and moroons simply refused to acknowledge the idea that snow tires required for winter seasons, causing all kinds of blockages and flipovers on the highways during winter time.

RWD? It was never a policy ..ever. Putting snows on the front of a RWD assured that you would get stuck more than otherwise. You would stop better ..perhaps. It did have some industry induced "suggestion" ..but by the time that notion (like most industry initiated "suggestive" morphing evolutions that just happen to mean higher consumer costs) became en vogue, FWD was well in the mainstream and the dedicated snow tire was pushed to the back burner. Then the OEM's managed to degrade the all season to "generally mediocre in all conditions" so that the consumer of distinction would head either one way or the other.

Someone in the front office managed to cross the mixing of radials and bias plys with snows.

That said ..and 100% CONVINCED ..I have found that 4 studded snows on dedicated winter rims on a FWD vehicle is about the best anyone could ask for in sensible winter safety. Whatever it cannot deal with is better avoided for most drivers.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Call it anyway you want it but snow tires on all 4 wheels during winter time is what it should be (and it's the law here too).

I'm with capriracer in this case for I've seen all kinds of slip-sliding away on slopes and slants and highways during icey winter period, and moroons simply refused to acknowledge the idea that snow tires required for winter seasons, causing all kinds of blockages and flipovers on the highways during winter time.

Where do you live? Its not the law here, and im in Ontario. I always ran just 2 winter tires on the front when i had a FWD car and never ever had any problems. Most of the problems arise from lack of competence in winter driving and not paying attention.

Quote:
I always ran just 2 winter tires on the front when i had a FWD car and never ever had any problems.
Yeah, people say that until they hit their brakes with one side on an icy patch and the car pinwheels through the intersection.

So...four snows on FWD & 4wd/AWD all the time.
Two snows on the rear of RWD are OK and four are safer.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
I always ran just 2 winter tires on the front when i had a FWD car and never ever had any problems.
Yeah, people say that until they hit their brakes with one side on an icy patch and the car pinwheels through the intersection.

So...four snows on FWD & 4wd/AWD all the time.
Two snows on the rear of RWD are OK and four are safer.
I say that because I never had any problems. I braked on icy surfaces many many times and never had the car loose control. My truck is 4wd and I only use winter tires on the rear, and I only use 4wd when the conditions get really bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back