Tire recommendations in 205/75 R14 size for 1992 Toyota pickup?

I inherited a 1992 Toyota pickup, 2WD, 2.4L 22RE engine a few years back. It had Guardsman by Radar tires from Sears on it which have now got considerable dry rot on them and need to be replaced. It is driven very little, but is handy to have around.

It seems there are fewer options available in this size these days.

Tirerack.com has:
(1) Hankook KInergy ST
(2) Kumho Solus Ta51A
(3) Toyo Extensa A/S II

Discounttire has:
(1) Hankook Kinergy ST H735
(2) Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II
(3) General Altimax RT45
(4) GT Radial Touring VP plus
(5) Westlake RP18

To me the downside on the Hankook Kinergy is that initial tread depth is only 8.8/32s. I have read somewhere that Kumhos have a reputation for performing poorly in rain which we have a lot of around here, so that seems a negative towards them. I have never heard of GT Radial or Westlake and am somewhat leery of those.

I have tended to go with Michelins or BF Goodrich tires in the past on my passenger cars & have always had good luck with both, but those do not appear to be options in this size.

Have any of you had experience with any of the above tires? Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't had experience with the exact tires you mention, but I have had experience with the Hankook brand and the Kumho brand.

I had the Hankook brand on my former 2004 Toyota Tacoma (2WD) and the Kumho brand on my former 2005 Volvo S-40. I liked both brands of tires and would have no hesitation to purchase either brands again!

Ed

If it were my dime I'd buy either the Uniroyal Tiger Paw or the General Altimax. I have owned the Hankook Kinergy ST and they were pretty blah. I'm not a fan of Kumho tires and anything else on the list would be acceptable based on price. GT Radial and Westlake are no-name brands but they're something that I see quite a bit of. I personally like name brand tires.

I tend to agree, they will age out, so no sense in getting "the best".

I wasn't a fan of the Uniroyals we had on our CRV, but since they weren't the same kind of tire, probably moot. Mostly a General fan, after having a number of RT43's. BUT that's a car tire, which may or may not work well here (how is the truck to be used?).

Hankook looks ok? for road, I wouldn't take onto wet grass though.
1702669776130.jpg

Back