Tire mounting dots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhere I remember seeing a list of manufacturers and what the dots stood for. They meant different things to different manufacturers. As CapriRacer stated, this is not yet standardized in the industry.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Somewhere I remember seeing a list of manufacturers and what the dots stood for. They meant different things to different manufacturers. As CapriRacer stated, this is not yet standardized in the industry.

It's not even standardized by tire manufacturer, so good luck! Some OE car manufacturers require specific color marks on the tires, so if a particular tire manufacturer makes tires for different OE applications, the marks can be different.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
...... As CapriRacer stated, this is not yet standardized in the industry.

And I don't expect there to be. There is a point where matching will no longer be necessary - and we're getting close. A few years ago, GM thought about discontinuing the marks. As of now they continue, but the fact that they thought about it says a lot. Any standardization in the marks means that some manufacturers would have to change how they do them - and they are not likely to change as there is no incentive (meaning more profit). Some manufacturers don't mark them now - or at least some use marks only visible with UV light. Besides, the car manufacturers would have to standardize first - and they haven't done so in the last 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back