Tire Wear

Subaru so AWD. Last tires that were OEM wore the same. Supposedly the alignment was in spec about 40K miles ago for the old ones that wore the same places.

Extreme inside and outside edge wearing more than anywhere else. Ideas?

Thanks

Edit: all 4 tires wearing exactly the same.

Go to 37 or 38 pounds. Some gauges are not accurate, but your tire wear is evidence enough.

Go to 37 or 38 pounds. Some gauges are not accurate, but your tire wear is evidence enough.
Our interstates are also mostly depressed wheel tracks, too. Have been thinking the edges of the depression might be causing wear, too? Does that seem plausible?

What were the OEM tires, and what were they replaced with? Seems very odd, but I wonder if these newer tires aren't that great.

Bumping pressure may help, but then hurt ride and handling, so I'm not sure I'd go there. I'm assuming this has TPMS, so it's not likely, but I would check your tire pressure gauge--maybe it's lying to you?

What were the OEM tires, and what were they replaced with? Seems very odd, but I wonder if these newer tires aren't that great.

Bumping pressure may help, but then hurt ride and handling, so I'm not sure I'd go there. I'm assuming this has TPMS, so it's not likely, but I would check your tire pressure gauge--maybe it's lying to you?
I use multiple gauges as they're stacked near the compressor. Analog and digital and they're all within a pound of each other. My car isn't having issues, either and I use the same gauges. The OEM were Yokohama Geolandar I believe. Whatever Yokos they always put on Subarus. I replaced at 4/32nds left across the center tread with the same tire wear pattern (outer edges) at about 72k miles. They were replaced with Michelin Defenders, so not a quality issue. And wearing the same after about 30k miles as the Yokos. So it's obvious it's either the crowned freeway commute rubbing the edges or the alignment check a while back with the same wear on the old ones was wrong or something.

I always thought it was a part of AWD. Happened on my BMW 3 Series with multiple tires and it has happened on my 17 Outback through multiple sets of tires. I keep my tires at cold 38psi. I rotate mine about every OCI of 7500 miles.

I always thought it was a part of AWD. Happened on my BMW 3 Series with multiple tires and it has happened on my 17 Outback through multiple sets of tires. I keep my tires at cold 38psi. I rotate mine about every OCI of 7500 miles.
Your Subaru wears the outer edges on every tire, too? Maybe it is "normal"? Do I recall that Subarus are always sending power in some percentage to all 4 wheels? What about AWD causes outer edges to wear?

Your Subaru wears the outer edges on every tire, too? Maybe it is "normal"? Do I recall that Subarus are always sending power in some percentage to all 4 wheels? What about AWD causes outer edges to wear?

Yes, Sir! With my driving style (I'm a tad aggressive) and hilly, curvy terrain I usually get about 45k on average on my tires. I'm in the 160k range so multiple sets of tires. All sets have been consistently rounded out on the outside edges first with the center and inner having even and deeper tread. I had a similar experience with a 2008 BMW 3 Series. I assumed it was an AWD matter.

Chris, if you mean me, I can't. I just got ol girl new sneakers 2 weeks ago.

Here's a picture. It's the inner and outer edges

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115-190717.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115-190717.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 52
You can see the siping on the extreme right and left side at the edges of the tire missing. I have the same Defenders on my car and the siping goes all the way out to the edges. I also have about 10k more miles on mine.

Do you slow down for the curves? Cornering will wear the edge of the tire more than the center, so if you (or whoever drives the subie) likes to chuck the car around corners then that might be part of it

Back