Tire Life - should I replace these tires?

Had the tires on my 17 Regal GS rotated and balanced, tires were mounted sometime in 2016 as originals, tires are Pirelli P Zero 255/35/20's. Should they be replaced or hang on for a couple of more years, still look new with only 25K.

Last edited:
Probably getting pretty rock hard? I just replaced the Bridgestone Potenzas on our TSX due to age. The new Michelin Pilot Sport AS rubber is even better than I had hoped.

Had the tires on my 17 Regal GS rotated and balanced, tires were mounted sometime in 2016 as originals, tires are Pirelli P Zero 255/35/20's. Should they be replaced or hang on for a couple of more years, still look new with only 25K.
Warm climate; Run 'em till you get tired of the beating they're giving you.

What is date of manufacture stamped on the sidewall? Tread depth? Notice any change of grip especially when/if pushed? P-Zeros are high performance tires with relatively sticky rubber compound. Normal driving heating/cooling cycles degrade this faster than non-performance rubber even though visually they look fine. Spirited driving even faster yet. Garaging keeps them from UV degradation, but ozone and rubber blooming dries them from the inside out. General rule of thumb for a high performance tire is 5-6 years from date of manufacture. Choice is yours, but I don't mess around when it comes to tires or brakes.

Last edited:
So I had 7 year old tires on my Xterra. Tread was "ok" and rubber was pretty hard, but were fine for me.

I needed to give the Xterra to my daughter, so it got new tires first.

So I suppose my answer is - it depends.

I've never taken age of a tire into consideration . I mostly look at tread depth but dry rot would be a good reason to replace a tire . Whether the car is driven on the Highway or in the City would be another reason . BTW : I've never changed a flat tire .

I'd replace. I don't like old tires, don't want something coming apart and messing up my car either.

What is date of manufacture stamped on the sidewall? Tread depth? Notice any change of grip especially when/if pushed? P-Zeros are high performance tires with relatively sticky rubber compound. Normal driving heating/cooling cycles degrade this faster than non-performance rubber even though visually they look fine. Spirited driving even faster yet. Garaging keeps them from UV degradation, but ozone and rubber blooming dries them from the inside out. General rule of thumb for a high performance tire is 5-6 years from date of manufacture. Choice is yours, but I don't mess around when it comes to tires or brakes.

Is there a source for the 5-6 year life for performance tires? I have Pirelli Pzero AS+ tires manufactured mid 2017 and while they still have >50% tread remaining, I have been wondering if they are due for replacement soon. The only references I can find is "up to 10 years" from Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, etc but nothing from Pirelli.

The only thing I've noticed is that the ride is much harsher than before when temperatures drop.

tyres generate more road noise as they wear.
Age also makes them noisier and the rubber becomes harder. This can be accelerated by the environment (sun, heat, cold).
I changed my 5 yo 1/2 worn hankooks because the road noise had become very unpleasant! I was not impressed!

Back