Tipping Carpenters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Because I am a professional and I pay my men very well already.
I've given a quote to the customer and that's what I expect to be paid,and from that I pay my men.
My customers and my men should not even speak to be honest,it's not professional and if my men will take money behind my back then there is no telling what they will do when I'm not looking therefore they don't belong on my crew or site.
If the customer wants to buy lunch or beer on Fridays I'm fine with that,as long as its only a couple each.
It's not ok to start throwing money around,I pay my men very well,every second Friday without fail,they WILL NOT accept money from a customer.
If the customer is so happy with their performance they can tell all their friends and give me a glowing referral.

Clevy, please do not misunderstand my position/situation.

I don't know exactly what is appropriate way to show my appreciation to the hard working men, that why I posted here asking for opinions/advices before I do wrong thing that can be upset to those men.

May be the tittle "Tipping" offending you, if so I apologize.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I've given a quote to the customer and that's what I expect to be paid,and from that I pay my men.
My customers and my men should not even speak to be honest,it's not professional and if my men will take money behind my back then there is no telling what they will do when I'm not looking therefore they don't belong on my crew or site.
If the customer wants to buy lunch or beer on Fridays I'm fine with that,as long as its only a couple each.
It's not ok to start throwing money around,I pay my men very well,every second Friday without fail,they WILL NOT accept money from a customer.
If the customer is so happy with their performance they can tell all their friends and give me a glowing referral.

I don't know exactly what is appropriate way to show my appreciation to the hard working men, that why I posted here asking for opinions/advices before I do wrong thing that can be upset to those men.

I think he was replying to me, so don't feel he was directing the answer at you. I have no problem with what he stated, i was just curious why. He answered appropriately.

When we were building our home we often prepared a lunch for the various crews doing the work. Since the location is rural the options for them were limited; we kept a grill on site and, 2-3 times/month grilled something like ribs or pork for the crews. The crews also knew they could use the grill anytime they wanted to prepare their own lunches.

They appreciated it and they worked hard to get things done and were happy to go that extra mile for us.

We do the pizza and tip thing....typically a minimum of $25 per person up to maybe $100 per person. It depends on the size of the job but we always have pizza/sodas for our workers.

As a good example, when we moved from Houston to Pa, we provided pizza/sodas while they loaded and on the onload, pizza/soda and $250 per mover with $400 for the driver. They did an exceptional job for us and we had zero damage from a 45' van loaded floor to ceiling, front to back, including a 1200 lb safe. Although only the driver spoke/understood english, we communicated well with sign (?) language.

No tips!

Pizza, Donuts, Cold sodas or Coffee during the day, and a smile and a handshake when the job is done.

As a contractor myself, I know my guys really like a pizza now and then. If your any good at baking, a fresh batch of cookies or bars also goes a long way.

No apology required.
If I came off rude or upset it is I who owe you an apology.

The posters here are right when it comes to showing gratitude for a job well done and I take care of my men very well which is why they will work late,thru horrible conditions and generally just go that extra mile for me,because they know if need be I will take money out of my pocket to insure their cheques cash every second Friday.
I work off 30 and 60 day invoices,which means we work for 30 days/60 days,I invoice then 30/60 days later I get the cheque,which means very often I live off pennies to insure my suppliers and most importantly my men can cash their cheques.
So usually at the start of larger projects I need 100k in the bank to carry us for a month, my 2 week payroll is roughly 50k or so depending on hours and weather.
I'm not saying I'm broke,but I get my money on the back end once jobs are finished but I'm usually taking that money to carry the next job.
We don't do small projects and we've been informed that we are the largest non union contractor in the province right now,which I can say is a very big responsibility considering we started with my brother,myself and 1 man each.
What I'm getting at is if a customer is happy and they want to throw money around I'd me much more comfortable with maybe a supper at a restaurant or even the gift certificate idea,but to walk around handing out cash doesn't feel right,and if it doesn't feel right then it's wrong....
Right?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
As a self employed carpenter with 30+ employees if my customer wanted to do something extra then buy the guys a pizza at lunch.
If I ever found out my men accepted money from a customer I would fire them immediately.
Beer if fine too,on a Friday at quitting time and only provide enough for 2 for each man.
I don't think firing someone for accepting a tip would go over well with the Labour board.

Pfffft.
The labour board is an effort in futility. They have absolutely no power whatsoever and they can't tell me how to run my business.
The labour board is a joke on the highest level and an utter waste of tax dollars.
I can run my business however I see fit and the labour board cannot do anything to change that.
That comment made me laugh. Like out loud.
Hilarious.
This ain't the union,and crying to some government agency for taking money behind your employers back really doesn't look good on the employee.
This isn't a restaurant,and my manpower aren't servers.
Your comment does tell me a lot about you though. When you've called the labour board did you get far?
Actually it doesn't tell you anything about me. I have never called the labour board but I do know a few who have.

I firmly disagree with tipping carpenters. This is a problem in this country because everyone will think they can get tips for doing their job. Will it end? Have you seen tipping jars at cash registers? I went to a burger place and a tip jar was there with a message "good tippers may go to heaven". Something to the effect. I heard folks tip at sonic fast food. I may come across as a tightwad. If tipping is OK, I am Gonna stick a tip jar on my desk at work.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I firmly disagree with tipping carpenters. This is a problem in this country because everyone will think they can get tips for doing their job. Will it end? Have you seen tipping jars at cash registers? I went to a burger place and a tip jar was there with a message "good tippers may go to heaven". Something to the effect. I heard folks tip at sonic fast food. I may come across as a tightwad. If tipping is OK, I am Gonna stick a tip jar on my desk at work.

I agree. You tip a server because "to insure promptness" is the norm,and most waitstaff actually make less than minimum wage because their tips are supposed to bring them up to the norm.
Skilled trades aren't what I'd call a "tip" industry.
As already mentioned if the customer wants to give a bit extra lunch for the crew is more than enough,and the sentiment of being appreciated certainly gets across.
Even the gift certificate idea is alright,heck if you want to tip I guess go ahead,but clear it with the crew chief.
Do you tip a salesman,how about the cleaning crew in an office building?
Skilled professionals don't have tip jars,nor should they. They are tradesman and are already getting a substantial paycheque.
Lunch is a great and appreciated gesture

Tipping carpenters, I think not! A good carpenter makes GOOD money, maybe more the the homeowner is is working for.
Should we tip the police also?

The OP is in no way obligated to tip contactors, im sure he knows that, he just appreciates their hard work so he is asking what is appropriate to give them. I never expect a tip from a costumer, the few that do tip mention how hard I or we worked or liked the work we did.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
The OP is in no way obligated to tip contractors, i'm sure he knows that, he just appreciates their hard work so he is asking what is appropriate to give them. I never expect a tip from a costumer, the few that do tip mention how hard I or we worked or liked the work we did.

Thank you for your understanding, the key here is "appropriate way to show my appreciation for their hard work".

I bought Pizzas + Soda + Albertson gift certificate. They liked the pizza !

We are getting No Tip restaurants here, they seem to be a success.

I have never liked the idea of Tipping, employees should be paid for the job they are expected to do. A Tip is like a retroactive bribe.
I have also had occasion where the service has been very mediocre, but still felt I should leave 10% because I did not want to be seen as cheap.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
The OP is in no way obligated to tip contractors, i'm sure he knows that, he just appreciates their hard work so he is asking what is appropriate to give them. I never expect a tip from a costumer, the few that do tip mention how hard I or we worked or liked the work we did.

Thank you for your understanding, the key here is "appropriate way to show my appreciation for their hard work".

I bought Pizzas + Soda + Albertson gift certificate. They liked the pizza !

The way to a working mans heart is definitely through his stomach.

This thread has made me re-think my rigid stance on tokens of appreciation.
Firstly I've already charged the customer handsomely for the service we provide,and in no way should they feel obligated to give more
HOWEVER
If the customer is really that happy with the workmanship and wants to give an envelope to each man a gift certificate to a place like Montana's where 40 bucks goes pretty far for 2 people(not including booze)I think I could relax my policy a bit.

I'm still in stitches about the labour board comment. Maybe in neverneverland they've got some kind of power but here in the real world the labour board is an utter joke.
Its like the better business bureau,absolutely useless as an entity.

I agree with those that are against the "tipping epidemic". I agree with tipping in the service industry (although limited), but everything else should be off limits.

Besides, $20 looks like pity money when the whole job costs several thousand dollars and I'm not surprised that the contractors would feel awkward when presented with such a "reward".

On the other hand I never had a contractor feeling awkward accepting a cold beverage or food. And I would bet that during the hard labor on a hot and humid day, those cold drinks and food are far more appreciated than the measly 20 bucks or so.

Many years ago, I spent a hard day moving my 3 bedroom house, across town with the help of two guys. I bought them lunch when I got lunch (fridge was empty), and kept a supply of water/soda on hand. When we were done, I offered the movers a tip: a choice of any bottle in the cabinet, and any cigar in the humidor. They each chose a Cuban and a bottle of Absolut.

I think the point is this: show your appreciation for hard work. Cash is simple, but thoughtfulness (food when they're hungry, a cold drink on a hot day, a luxury) is more meaningful. I would tailor the offering to the recipient and to the level of effort. These guys worked very hard, for a 10 hour day. They appreciated what I gave them...but not everyone would...

when enough people think that tipping in a particular industry is ok, the people that work in them will come to expect it, regaurdless if they do a good job or not.

So if i don't give the guy a tip,is he is not going to do the same job with the same vigor?

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
when enough people think that tipping in a particular industry is ok, the people that work in them will come to expect it, regaurdless if they do a good job or not.

So if i don't give the guy a tip,is he is not going to do the same job with the same vigor?

Ive never tipped or been tipped before the service was completed. Tipping is a gesture used showing appreciation after seeing someone go above and beyond to offer you great service.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the lively discussion. Although I am late to this thread, I found it salient to my current questions regarding the excellent young men working for a GC in my area.

The back story is, my neighbors and I live in a nice neighborhood of 100 year old houses. We all have horror stories of updates and additions to our homes with shoddy work, stubbornness, defiance, profound building and material ignorance and so on.

This new crew came over with a new guy, probably on his first job as he choked up to nearly the top of the business end of his hammer. The other young man, probably 30 years old or less, was fantastic. He was a good teacher to his charge and didn't mind me putting on a tool belt every once in awhile to cut out the old interior trim, do some demo, or be nosey. He give good advise, mindful of current code, on the outdoor and indoor electrical work I was installing while they were busting their humps. After many years, it was fun to carry my old framing hammer around.

Anyway, my wife and I independently thought it would be near morally irresponsible not to show these fellows some respect for the excellent and conscientious work they did. For the young man, he got a 24oz Estwing framer, just like mine, and some cash. The other fellow got cash and an open invitation come around to work for time and materials - I will always have some project or another.

Clevy and all, before any criticism, please consider two things. 1) I discussed this with the GC, and 2) in the current culture, or at least in my area, it is hard to find a person who is not addicted and is willing to support their family. Besides, I have a large front porch that will need replacement next year and want these guys back.

Regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back