Timing Chain vs Timing Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that Toyota's new engines are all using timing chains. Which is better, timing chain or timing belt? I thought timing chains were old technology and requires good lubrication in order to make it last. Whereas timing belts are more maintenance free.

No, chains are far better, but for a long time OHC engines were noisy and didnt work well with chains. Also VVTi was impossible with chains, or very expensive.

Chains are virtually maintenance free, they generally don't break / they're very strong.

Belts tend to snap every 80,000 miles and need replacing (read: expensive) every 60K. I love timing chains.

The only thing better is gear drive.

[ January 26, 2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Dominic ]

I think this post will get moved, but Honda has recently gone to the timing chain too after using timing belts for many years. The chains being used are pretty good quality and they do receive lubricant (at least in Honda's system). But the one on my car still calls for replacement after a certain number of miles, so I don't think it is any more cost effective. They are probably more accurate in terms of cam timing which is very important in today's strictly controlled engines,and they are very quiet too. Probably the only real advantages that I know of.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
I think this post will get moved, but Honda has recently gone to the timing chain too after using timing belts for many years. The chains being used are pretty good quality and they do receive lubricant (at least in Honda's system). But the one on my car still calls for replacement after a certain number of miles, so I don't think it is any more cost effective. They are probably more accurate in terms of cam timing which is very important in today's strictly controlled engines,and they are very quiet too. Probably the only real advantages that I know of.

Most japanese engines use nylon gears instead of steel, and I've even seen non metallic chain links too! This would be the main cause for chain replacement.

The thing about chains is they rarely ever *snap* under normal engine power... it usually takes a lot of modifications to make one go snap, or well over 250,000 miles of hard driving. They can be driven well over their service intervals, unlike belts. Belts are usually quieter though
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:

The only thing better is gear drive.

Cars used to have timing gears. They were less durable than timing chains-but then again lubricants improved after timing gears. My dad was an automechanic in the 30's and anyhow that's what he said.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Most japanese engines use nylon gears instead of steel, and I've even seen non metallic chain links too!

shocked.gif

I wonder whether my new Toyota uses plastic timing chain? It's awfully quiet, except for that engine whine that seems to come from VVTi engines.

-

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
But the one on my car still calls for replacement after a certain number of miles, so I don't think it is any more cost effective.

Wouldn't replacing the chain involve a partial teardown of the engine?

Replacing a timing chain is easier. Remove the valve cover, turn the engine until the removable link appears, attach the new chain to the old, turn the engine until the new chain is wound thru.

My diesel Golf has a timing belt and it must be replaced every 100K miles. My Pontiac Vibe with the Toyota 2ZZ-JE engine has a timing chain with variable valve timing and lift. I believe the picture is the 1ZZ-JE engine. I am not sure about the service intervals for the Toyota engine yet...

Jason

The Honda S2000 has a DOHC VTEC engine with steel timing chain.

The chain drives a central gear just in front of the camshafts. The two camshafts end in a gear each, which drive off of this central gear through spring loaded scissors action.

The engine redlines at 9000 RPM. I would say it operates with no more mechanical noise than timing belts.

fruit.gif

[ January 27, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back