There’s a difference between bando aftermarket vs bando oem etc

Here is my newly purchased Toyota dealer serpentine belt. It is different from the oem belt that I took off my truck just now, which is interesting (the old oem one was a dayco but got discontinued im assuming, old oem is second picture). The new one looks more stout and higher quality. Notice how it’s a bando belt? Well the bando belts I held in my hand at the auto parts stores felt and looked nothing like the one I got from the dealership. Even the same exact 6pk2230 belt from Napa was nothing like the dealership 6pk2230 I bought. Want the highest quality and best fit? You buy it from the dealer or online parts store official Toyota. I love when people spout “just buy the Aisin kit it’s the same as oem but without the Toyota badge” or “just buy dayco/ gates/denso, it’s the same as what Toyota uses but just cheaper” from my experience that’s not true at all. It’s still aftermarket parts. The belt on the tundra before I swapped it was a dayco Toyota stamped belt made in the usa, the one I got from advanced auto and returned was the same part number but made in china. The discontinued belt that was on my truck was a dayco 6pk2230 Belt stamped Toyota on it, made in usa. Went to the parts store cause I still believed the lie that you can just buy the same brand from the auto store and it’s the same as the dealer part, bought the same exact part number belt and it’s made in china. There’s a definite difference. Just throwing this info out there for those who don’t know

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 276
Toyota sells 2 tiers of parts, OEM and a value line.

This is why I buy Gates belts.

They are OE to many (honestly I think most, in some applications) makers, I know in fact to Honda. And their aftermarket belts are identical. They are very clear about this in their marketing.

They are OE to many (honestly I think most, in some applications) makers, I know in fact to Honda. And their aftermarket belts are identical. They are very clear about this in their marketing.
My post disproved this, and I have a separate example specifically for gates. I bought a gates belt tensioner pulley from Napa and it was stamped made in china. Last time I checked, my oem tensioner pulley wasn’t made in china. There’s a difference between gates bought at the parts store, and going to your dealerships parts counter and receiving a genuine _____ part stamped gates next to your cars brands stamp

Toyota sells 2 tiers of parts, OEM and a value line.
Do you have any evidence for this? I strongly disagree. When you go buy your parts from Toyota there’s the part. There’s no value part and oem part sold by Toyota. The value part would just be aftermarket which wouldn’t be sold by Toyota… there’s no value like timing belt kit for my truck I can buy from Toyota. It’s either the Toyota part or not

I have been saying this for years - the Bando aftermarket belts have the hard rubber surface on the smooth side, while the dealer ones use the fuzzy fabric liner.

Do you have any evidence for this? I strongly disagree. When you go buy your parts from Toyota there’s the part. There’s no value part and oem part sold by Toyota. The value part would just be aftermarket which wouldn’t be sold by Toyota… there’s no value like timing belt kit for my truck I can buy from Toyota. It’s either the Toyota part or not

MVP line, Sightline Wipers and TCMC Premium brakes are examples of Toyota's value line. Even radiators now, too.

Here is my newly purchased Toyota dealer serpentine belt. It is different from the oem belt that I took off my truck just now, which is interesting (the old oem one was a dayco but got discontinued im assuming, old oem is second picture). The new one looks more stout and higher quality. Notice how it’s a bando belt? Well the bando belts I held in my hand at the auto parts stores felt and looked nothing like the one I got from the dealership. Even the same exact 6pk2230 belt from Napa was nothing like the dealership 6pk2230 I bought. Want the highest quality and best fit? You buy it from the dealer or online parts store official Toyota. I love when people spout “just buy the Aisin kit it’s the same as oem but without the Toyota badge” or “just buy dayco/ gates/denso, it’s the same as what Toyota uses but just cheaper” from my experience that’s not true at all. It’s still aftermarket parts. The belt on the tundra before I swapped it was a dayco Toyota stamped belt made in the usa, the one I got from advanced auto and returned was the same part number but made in china. The discontinued belt that was on my truck was a dayco 6pk2230 Belt stamped Toyota on it, made in usa. Went to the parts store cause I still believed the lie that you can just buy the same brand from the auto store and it’s the same as the dealer part, bought the same exact part number belt and it’s made in china. There’s a definite difference. Just throwing this info out there for those who don’t know
I noticed the same thing recently, coincidently for those same belts. The dealer A2003 Dayco belts for the 2UZ-FE V8 were ok, but they would tend to get a bit noisy after 30k miles or so. I'm hoping this new dealer Bando belt will be better. Time will tell.

My post disproved this, and I have a separate example specifically for gates. I bought a gates belt tensioner pulley from Napa and it was stamped made in china. Last time I checked, my oem tensioner pulley wasn’t made in china. There’s a difference between gates bought at the parts store, and going to your dealerships parts counter and receiving a genuine _____ part stamped gates next to your cars brands stamp

Nothing in your post disproves anything wrt Gates.

Robots in China work just as well as robots in Japan, or Alabama. That a part came from a different plant doesn’t prove anything.

Toyota OEM radiator:

Toyota value line radiator:

Actually Bando and Mitsuboshi are the OE in most cases. I'll take either of those made in USA belts before a Gates which is 50/50 likely made in China.

Serpentine belt.JPG

148Serpentine belt.JPG

Thanks. I noticed this on Honda OE vs Bando vs Dayco serp belts but Honda OE TB was identical to the Honda Aisin kit Mitsuboshi TB

Actually Bando and Mitsuboshi are the OE in most cases. I'll take either of those made in USA belts before a Gates which is 50/50 likely made in China.

View attachment 185043

View attachment 185044
While they are the oem suppliers, they are still aftermarket parts unless you buy it from the dealer. For example aisin makes the timing belt kit for my tundra and Lexus, so people buy the aisin kit to save money instead of buying it from the dealer. Only for them to realize they are not the same

Toyota OEM radiator:

Toyota value line radiator:
Hmm interesting. One thing I noticed though is those are not the same radiators as in one is for a certain amount of years whereas the other is for a different set of years

Nothing in your post disproves anything wrt Gates.

Robots in China work just as well as robots in Japan, or Alabama. That a part came from a different plant doesn’t prove anything.
Yes it does. I bought a gate pulley which is supposed to be the oem supplier for my tundra. The gates pulley from the auto parts store was stamped made in china with a no name Chinese part number bearing, the pulley from the dealer is stamped made in Canada and has a nsk bearing. My point is they are not the same, that’s all. And btw, would u rather have a Chinese pulley with a Chinese bearing or a Canadian pulley with a name brand nsk bearing lol? Don’t pretend like you wouldn’t choose a Japan/ usa/ Canada part over a Chinese. Chinese parts are garbage and will be for s while longer…. Just like how stuff from Japan used to be garbage back in the day but now is top notch

Again, the current Honda TB is from Unitta, not Mitsuboshi.
yup and Unitta is a division of Gates.

EDIT: But yes Honda's TB from Gates Unitta IS to Honda's specs.. And I do not substitute aftermarket when it comes to the TB. To me I'm not willing to risk a difference in specs.

Last edited:
Yes it does. I bought a gate pulley which is supposed to be the oem supplier for my tundra. The gates pulley from the auto parts store was stamped made in china with a no name Chinese part number bearing, the pulley from the dealer is stamped made in Canada and has a nsk bearing. My point is they are not the same, that’s all. And btw, would u rather have a Chinese pulley with a Chinese bearing or a Canadian pulley with a name brand nsk bearing lol? Don’t pretend like you wouldn’t choose a Japan/ usa/ Canada part over a Chinese. Chinese parts are garbage and will be for s while longer…. Just like how stuff from Japan used to be garbage back in the day but now is top notch
I agree with everything you've said.. The one thing to think about is Japan was junk then got to their excellent quality levels.. China is doing that too! They will get their quality higher..because I think they've realized they couldn't continue to make junk, selling it to the world, eventually people would not buy their products.. They have to compete with better products. There are some I've seen now that are much better than they used to be.

back to the genuine Toyota products, you're right, Toyota created a specification and asked Bando to make it for them. Then Toyota using the quality processes (The Toyota way) they check to make sure the supplier is manufacturing exactly what Toyota asked for. It's a fascinating way Toyota will go to a supplier and help them to make it the Toyota way.. I've heard Toyota will do that instead of getting rid of the supplier because it saves time and money.

When I bought a Gates branded belt for my scion tC (camry engine 2.4L) it was made in USA and it's been excellent. The difference between the factory (japan) belt and gates was that the Toyota one was stitched together the gates was bonded. Now the Civic's belts by Gates are now made in mexico. Guess some get made on different lines. About the tC..I didn't get the Toyota belt, was trying to save money.. I know that's not the best, but Gates belts have been good to me over the years.. so I went that route. Now the coolant hoses I go with Toyota. Not even Gates has the correct sleeves on them, the lower one is to protect anything being flung up by the drivebelt, the upper hose has a sleeve for the 02 sensor wiring (clamps on to it), and for the price of those hoses, not much different than aftermarket.

I agree with everything you've said.. The one thing to think about is Japan was junk then got to their excellent quality levels.. China is doing that too! They will get their quality higher..because I think they've realized they couldn't continue to make junk, selling it to the world, eventually people would not buy their products.. They have to compete with better products. There are some I've seen now that are much better than they used to be.

back to the genuine Toyota products, you're right, Toyota created a specification and asked Bando to make it for them. Then Toyota using the quality processes (The Toyota way) they check to make sure the supplier is manufacturing exactly what Toyota asked for. It's a fascinating way Toyota will go to a supplier and help them to make it the Toyota way.. I've heard Toyota will do that instead of getting rid of the supplier because it saves time and money.

When I bought a Gates branded belt for my scion tC (camry engine 2.4L) it was made in USA and it's been excellent. The difference between the factory (japan) belt and gates was that the Toyota one was stitched together the gates was bonded. Now the Civic's belts by Gates are now made in mexico. Guess some get made on different lines. About the tC..I didn't get the Toyota belt, was trying to save money.. I know that's not the best, but Gates belts have been good to me over the years.. so I went that route. Now the coolant hoses I go with Toyota. Not even Gates has the correct sleeves on them, the lower one is to protect anything being flung up by the drivebelt, the upper hose has a sleeve for the 02 sensor wiring (clamps on to it), and for the price of those hoses, not much different than aftermarket.
Thanks for your response very good info

Back