Tiguan vs Merc CLA

2019-2020 Tiguans vs Merc CLA.

I'm helping a family member with her new vehicle purchase. She's looking to trade in her Tucson after the debacle she's going through.

Anyone have experience with the above vehicles??? Which would you choose from a reliability stand point???

I recommended the Tiguan. She likes the Merc a bit more.
As someone who sold vehicles for VW the Tiguan is a solid choice. Just avoid the "R" line as they added 19" wheels and low profile tires. The Mercedes will probably be sportier and quicker. The dsg in the Tiguan shifts quickly and smoothly.

As someone who sold vehicles for VW the Tiguan is a solid choice. Just avoid the "R" line as they added 19" wheels and low profile tires. The Mercedes will probably be sportier and quicker. The dsg in the Tiguan shifts quickly and smoothly.
If you sold VWs you should know that Tiguans do not come with a DSG transmission in North America.

If you sold VWs you should know that Tiguans do not come with a DSG transmission in North America.
You're right. 6 speed auto. I remember one of the mechanics making a comment about a 6-speed dsg. Vw mixed and matched. All diesels were dsg if I remember and the Jetta hybrid and the golf all-traks. But a number were just tiptronic.

If she is freaked out over these costs on her Hyundai, she will have a stroke when she has to pay for these things on a Mercedes.
Lol. If anything, she didn't "freak out" over any repairs, I did. If you seen the maintenance records on this car and the prices she paid without complaining, you'd feel like yelling at her also for it.

On this last one she reached out, I guided her between the two choices.

You're right. 6 speed auto. I remember one of the mechanics making a comment about a 6-speed dsg. Vw mixed and matched. All diesels were dsg if I remember and the Jetta hybrid and the golf all-traks. But a number were just tiptronic.
The 2019 VW Tiguan has an 8 speed automatic.

Supposedly the 6-speed mated to the 4-motion was a dsg not the fwd version.
No no no - Tiguan in US has NEVER had a DSG. I think you are confusing it with the Taos which does have a 7 speed DSG in the 4Motion models.

For OP - the VW is going to have lower service costs if that is an important factor. The CLA is their budget model and it feels as such, had a couple as loaners when I drove MB's. They are not the most refined vehicle and top of the line models from non-luxury makes (Mazda 3, VW Jetta, Acura ILX, etc.) are better and cheaper than the base model CLA's. You pay for the star in the grill and thats about it.

For reference I went from VW's to MB and am now back at VW. I honestly could no longer justify the marginal increase in feel/driving for the massive price in purchase and service, you pay for that star.

My brother has a CLA and it has been a nightmare. Constant problems and engine light that stays on. Stalls unexpectedly. They can't figure out what it is. He only drives occasionally and puts very few miles. He was an avid MB owner prior to this one but says he will not own another MB by the way they cannot repair his issues.

No no no - Tiguan in US has NEVER had a DSG. I think you are confusing it with the Taos which does have a 7 speed DSG in the 4Motion models.

For OP - the VW is going to have lower service costs if that is an important factor. The CLA is their budget model and it feels as such, had a couple as loaners when I drove MB's. They are not the most refined vehicle and top of the line models from non-luxury makes (Mazda 3, VW Jetta, Acura ILX, etc.) are better and cheaper than the base model CLA's. You pay for the star in the grill and thats about it.

For reference I went from VW's to MB and am now back at VW. I honestly could no longer justify the marginal increase in feel/driving for the massive price in purchase and service, you pay for that star.
i went from a mb glk to a vw passat. older son went from a mb c250 to a mazda 3. younger son went from a mb glk to a vw tiguan. all of these mb and replacement purchases were cpo, none were regretted, we all are pleased enough with our mb replacements to not return to mb.

The Mercedes CLA isn’t what I call a true Mercedes. It’s their answer for a ghetto ride and made in Hungary. Pick the Tiguan. Hopefully there are servicing VW dealers close by. I love our Tiguan however, the closest VW dealerships are 90 miles away in different directions. When time to trade it, we will be looking at Ford, Toyota, Honda, or some other brand. We would even consider a Hyundai or KIA. We have owned both a Hyundai and a KIA and had good service out of both.
I hate the CLA as a passenger. It was a cheap attempt for Mercedes to compete against the Prius-based Lexus CT and Civic-based Acura ILX. The Japanese have the “entry-level” compact luxury segment cornered IMO.

Get the VW or the Audi sister, Q5.

Ah ok. My apologies. But yes the Tiguan seemed like it had a much lower cost of ownership

Had a 2015 GLA250 in 2017-2020, the transmission was repaired only like 3 times. Good thing I’ve had extended warranty. Merc no more

Back