Tiguan vs Merc CLA

2019-2020 Tiguans vs Merc CLA.

I'm helping a family member with her new vehicle purchase. She's looking to trade in her Tucson after the debacle she's going through.

Anyone have experience with the above vehicles??? Which would you choose from a reliability stand point???

I recommended the Tiguan. She likes the Merc a bit more.

vw’s cpo warranty year/miles duration is longer than mb’s. the tiguan has a useable rear seat. vw’s maintenance costs are lower than mb’s.

If she was happy with the Tucson and not the dealership, why not just try another Hyundai dealership?

But of those two, definitely the VW. I don't have experience with either specific vehicle but do with various VW.

The Mercedes CLA isn’t what I call a true Mercedes. It’s their answer for a ghetto ride and made in Hungary. Pick the Tiguan. Hopefully there are servicing VW dealers close by. I love our Tiguan however, the closest VW dealerships are 90 miles away in different directions. When time to trade it, we will be looking at Ford, Toyota, Honda, or some other brand. We would even consider a Hyundai or KIA. We have owned both a Hyundai and a KIA and had good service out of both.

If she was happy with the Tucson and not the dealership, why not just try another Hyundai dealership?

But of those two, definitely the VW. I don't have experience with either specific vehicle but do with various VW.
She was happy with the Tucson. After reading over her maintenance paperwork, idk why. Transmission at 20k, covered by the dealer, coil packs. 4 window regulators at $600 a pop, etc.

There are a few Tiggies in her area. Some from 6k miles up to 60k miles. All 2019 and up and the price difference between the 6k mile Cars and 60k mile Cars is like $3k to $4k. I'm definitely going to push her towards the lower mile vehicles and the vw. The new ones seem pretty **** reliable.

She was happy with the Tucson. After reading over her maintenance paperwork, idk why. Transmission at 20k, covered by the dealer, coil packs. 4 window regulators at $600 a pop, etc.

There are a few Tiggies in her area. Some from 6k miles up to 60k miles. All 2019 and up and the price difference between the 6k mile Cars and 60k mile Cars is like $3k to $4k. I'm definitely going to push her towards the lower mile vehicles and the vw. The new ones seem pretty **** reliable.
Wow, that's really unlucky, sorry to hear. We have three Tucson's (same vintage) in the family that have been very reliable. But, like everything in life, such is not the case across the board.

Obviously, the less the miles, the better for the Tiguan (Tiggies?). It's also a great car that looks very sharp. I wish her better luck and many thousands of miles of reliable motoring.

A crossover or a sedan? :unsure:

For a crossover, if German is a must, get a TourX. If prestige is more important, an RDX or NX

For a sedan, get an ILX for prestige, or a Regal Sportback for something German

Which one is the fire, the VW or the Merc?
IMO, both, but the Merc more so than the VW. There are many other vehicles that I would personally choose over these two, particularly since the OP mentioned reliability, purchasing a used 2019-2020, and her freaking out over maintenance/repair costs on the Hyundai. If she is freaked out over these costs on her Hyundai, she will have a stroke when she has to pay for these things on a Mercedes.

Yes, but the likelihood of having similar issues at similar frequency on a Merc or a VW are infinitesimally lower than on a Hyundai.

Yes, but the likelihood of having similar issues at similar frequency on a Merc or a VW are infinitesimally lower than on a Hyundai.
Let's not discount the possibility that the dealer has been taking advantage of her. This sort of thing goes on at many if not most dealers, particularly with women, and not just at Hyundai dealers. For one thing, charging $600 a pop for window regulators is highway robbery IMO. They aren't even that high on Mercedes products.

Noteworthy is if she buys a 2019 Tiguan or 2018 the warranty is 6 years/72,000 bumper to bumper. I believe after they went to 4yr/50k.

2019-2020 Tiguans vs Merc CLA.

I'm helping a family member with her new vehicle purchase. She's looking to trade in her Tucson after the debacle she's going through.

Anyone have experience with the above vehicles??? Which would you choose from a reliability stand point???

I recommended the Tiguan. She likes the Merc a bit more.
The Tiguan is a larger car than the CLA, and it's a SUV. Merc's direct competitor to the Tiguan is the GLB

Back