Thoughts on the GM strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Trav
IMO they will strike themselves right out of a job in the not to distant future, 53K jobs going to new plants in Mexico.
Old news, greed, strikes = plant closings but they never learn.

Exactly! I'll leave it at that.

I agree ^^^^^

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by AC1DD
I've been to these places and I can tell you I've see the homes and conditions those people live in personally. The plants might be in good condition, but the workers at most of them live in dirt poor conditions and cannot afford what they produce with few exceptions.

Well I suppose it would be better for them if the factory was not there. Then they wouldn't stand out from the ones that have no job at all.

I guess I really don't understand the angst about not being able to afford what is being produced in the factory, that happens in other areas as well. But they sure can afford a lot more than someone who is unemployed.

Exactly kschachn....

Originally Posted by ATex7239
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by 4WD
You guys lost me on this company money stuff …
what's an example of a large non union company doing what you mean?

That is exactly his point, if you read about when large unionized companies they went away from that system,. the non-unionized companies followed suit so they could compete.
His point is without the union he thinks companies would still pay you with their own currency that you could only spend in their town or their store.

That is all I really recall from the class I took in college.

That's a bingo.

Though the history part you are absolutely correct on.

Still... 4wd has a valid point... Where does this happen currently??

Originally Posted by Poles19
I don't feel bad for the guys on strike. They make $30+ an hour, have unbelievable health insurance, a great pension, and they've been receiving $10k bonus checks. All this with no skills doing a job a monkey could do. They should thank GM everyday for what they have

This.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by AC1DD
I've been to these places and I can tell you I've see the homes and conditions those people live in personally. The plants might be in good condition, but the workers at most of them live in dirt poor conditions and cannot afford what they produce with few exceptions.

Well I suppose it would be better for them if the factory was not there. Then they wouldn't stand out from the ones that have no job at all.

I guess I really don't understand the angst about not being able to afford what is being produced in the factory, that happens in other areas as well. But they sure can afford a lot more than someone who is unemployed.

Yeah, people who work at SpaceX probably cant afford a space rocket/shuttle either. So much derp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back