Thoughts on the GM strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do you think without a union … GM would currently pay in GM Bucks only redeemed in GM stores ?

Originally Posted by ATex7239
Originally Posted by 4WD
No bingo … this GM Bucks line is

Longhorn cattle on a rainy day...?

Probably a solid name for a new country song, but not much of a retort or a burn.

"Livestock blocking the [censored] road!"

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Ohio is not a right to work state. Can the plant workers in Mexico even afford to buy what they build? Would you wanna live and earn what workers do in Mexico?

Generally car plant workers in Mexico can't even begin to afford what they make, a Bicycle or small scooter is likely what they could afford. Many of these people are still dirt poor.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Ohio is not a right to work state. Can the plant workers in Mexico even afford to buy what they build? Would you wanna live and earn what workers do in Mexico?
Generally car plant workers in Mexico can't even begin to afford what they make, a Bicycle or small scooter is likely what they could afford. Many of these people are still dirt poor.

They are not dirt poor. The ones that don't have a job in the factory are the dirt poor ones.

I used to work for a large multi-national company that had manufacturing facilities in several border towns. The working conditions in the factories were good, the employees got a free meal every day they worked (we ate the same food but had to pay for it), and they got paid a lot more than many other locals. It was not a bad gig and if they moved up into supervisory or management it got better.

I find that like you, a lot of people imagine a lot of incorrect stuff about these facilities.

Originally Posted by kschachn

They are not dirt poor. The ones that don't have a job in the factory are the dirt poor ones.

I used to work for a large multi-national company that had manufacturing facilities in several border towns. The working conditions in the factories were good, the employees got a free lunch, and they got paid a lot more than many other locals. It was not a bad gig and if they moved up into supervisory or management it got pretty good.

I find people imagine a lot of incorrect stuff about these facilities unless you've been there.

Compared to what even poor workers get in the USA, mexican plant workers are dirt poor. Bottom line is they cannot afford what they produce in general at the car plants.
Sure MAYBE the upper management can afford cars, but that's only a hand full of people. The rank and file live in poor conditions overall.

Some will be grateful for work at a maquila, but many do attempt to cross the border. Not going into politics here, but even an under the table job many illegal/undocumented/etc do in the US in the fields/orchards/restaurants/meat plants pay more than a job at a maquila. Many of those send money back home to Mexico and Central America.

Parts of Mexico near CA/AZ/TX are maquila land and are designated free trade zones with the US/Mexico. And I wouldn't doubt that GM/Ford/FCA/Toyota/Honda/Mazda have similar free trade/economic enterprise zones setup for their plants.

Compared to what even poor workers get in the USA, mexican plant workers are dirt poor. Bottom line is they cannot afford what they produce in general at the car plants.
Sure MAYBE the upper management can afford cars, but that's only a hand full of people. The rank and file live in poor conditions overall.

Yeah keep digging. I love it when people post on subjects about which they know nothing, but because of an already formed opinion or preconceived notion they imagine themselves experts.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Yeah keep digging. I love it when people post on subjects about which they know nothing, but because of an already formed opinion or preconceived notion they imagine themselves experts.

I've been to these places and I can tell you I've see the homes and conditions those people live in personally. The plants might be in good condition, but the workers at most of them
live in dirt poor conditions and cannot afford what they produce with few exceptions.

Originally Posted by 4WD
So do you think without a union … GM would currently pay in GM Bucks only redeemed in GM stores ?

100 yrs ago, yes.

2019, no.

An alternate 2019, were unions had never come about to slowly move America to fair labor standards, plausibly.

I really cannot break this down or slow lead you to the picture I'm painting further...

Go read your own post or the post you supported before you bring slow lead …
You guys were in present times …
Later …

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What is the cost of living in Mexico , including taxes , graft , protection from criminals ?

With out that information , the other numbers do not mean a lot .

I laugh when I see people post things like that. It means absolutely nothing without context. How much is typical rent, how much does a loaf of bread or gallon of milk cost ?

I've been to these places and I can tell you I've see the homes and conditions those people live in personally. The plants might be in good condition, but the workers at most of them live in dirt poor conditions and cannot afford what they produce with few exceptions.

Well I suppose it would be better for them if the factory was not there. Then they wouldn't stand out from the ones that have no job at all.

I guess I really don't understand the angst about not being able to afford what is being produced in the factory, that happens in other areas as well. But they sure can afford a lot more than someone who is unemployed.

I am lucky to work in high tech, in an area of incredible opportunity.
All work is honorable; labor unions have contributed so much to our country.
Some are over the top.

Good luck union members and to your families.

My primary takeaway from all of this is that GM is down to only 50K UAW workers, that GM abuses temps and that GM is now only 17% of the US new vehicle market.
Unless GM negotiates quickly and in good faith, their market share could easily decline to zero in an industry rife with excess capacity worldwide in vehicles of every sort.
Need anything GM offers?
Plenty of other choices readily available.
GM is probably destined to be a casualty of the next recession anyway.
The pay levels of upper management are fair game in that those folks have done nothing to reverse the decline that GM has experienced over the past four decades and have therefore done nothing to earn the sums given them.

I don't feel bad for the guys on strike. They make $30+ an hour, have unbelievable health insurance, a great pension, and they've been receiving $10k bonus checks. All this with no skills doing a job a monkey could do. They should thank GM everyday for what they have

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I've heard from some GM parts people that they are not getting their parts deliveries due to the strike. Not sure if it is nationwide or from parts from certain PDCs.

Yeah it's nationwide.

We have been getting a trickle of special order parts, I guess temps or maybe even salaried people are pulling some stuff, but it's delayed, and definitely not RIM orders (returnable stock). No packing lists. I guess the packing list printer person is on strike.

GM probably wouldn't be as reliant on temps without the UAW, but whatever. I just hope it is resolved soon so I can sell some parts. I want the UAW or GM to give me money for having to explain to customers why I'm not sure if I will get a part tomorrow.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I'm guessing that quite a few of their vehicles are imported, and not affected by this strike.

I own three and none were imported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back