Thoughts on the GM strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are allowed. The USA is not PRC. My first choice if I ever buy another new car will be GM or Ford. So glad GM was saved. Love seeing a Corvette still made. Unions created the USA of today, 40 hour work week, wages, etc etc. If they want to strike, it's their business not mine. They vote to do so.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
We sell GM some stuff, and the lines are still running.... Semis still taking product out...

So I guess some of GM's plants are still in production? I was expecting a layoff because of this. 54,000 workers on strike, so GM has some non union plants in North America? Why am I still working, are they still building the trucks?

Are those parts going to Canada or Mexico? To my knowledge, those locations are not on strike.

They actually laid off some workers at the Oshawa plant due to this strike. I guess the supply chain for parts caused this issue.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
I can understand why some people don't think the UAW isn't needed but with the race to the bottom as far as wages these days (every business wants to pay like Walmart) I can understand where Unions are becoming more important these days. If corporations had their way we would all be working for $3 per hour.

But the union, non union debate is a lot like politics. You can bet your bottom dollar that there will always be but hurt feelings when a group of people starts talking about it.

I keep hearing about this "race to the bottom"

Find it hard to believe in a country were their is a federal minimum wage, the "poor" have programs for education, phones, food healthcare, shelter etc. Let alone the obesity issue in low income household... America has fat "poor" people.... I've traveled all over the world, and poor people are not fat in other countries...

Sorry, but not sorry, America is greatest country on earth for that to being a thing

Moreover, the middle class in American live better and longer than the Uber wealth a 100 yrs ago.

Originally Posted by 4WD
You guys lost me on this company money stuff …
what's an example of a large non union company doing what you mean?

In history books.... That among or other things are what got the Labor Law of today started to in first place around the early 1900...

Originally Posted by 4WD

That is exactly his point, if you read about when large unionized companies they went away from that system,. the non-unionized companies followed suit so they could compete.
His point is without the union he thinks companies would still pay you with their own currency that you could only spend in their town or their store.

That is all I really recall from the class I took in college.

I do know companies used it when there was no paper/coin currency available or they were remote.

One excuse from the company for paying that way was to keep the employees from spending their earnings on booze and prostitutes..

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Couple of questions:

Do temps pay union dues and/ or are they members?

Do the workers work for GM or the union? What happens if you want to keep working during a strike?

Temps are a workaround. They are not FTE-s and don't get any healthcare, etc. benefits. They are also paid less than an employees and there are no HR protections.

The only downside is that you pay a fee to the temp agency but overall, it's a cheaper labor source than hiring. No HR headaches, can get rid of them with very little notice.

They would still pay you with their currency in 2019 ?
And what was the 2019 non union example ?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Any idea of what is the starting hourly pay for a UAW worker ?

In the mid-2000s, at a GM assembly plant here (now closed and operated by Fuyao Glass), GM and the IUE union (not ! UAW) agreed to a starting wage in the $9-something per hour for new hires. For what that's worth....

One complaint the union or workers had was their healthcare premiums going up. I think they're in for a rude awakening now that GM has dropped their healthcare coverage making them look into COBRA coverage. I really hope some of them see the premiums and think, "GM pays that much for our coverage vs what we pay ?". Doubt it will happen though....

At the same GM assembly plant over a decade ago, they threatened to strike because the company asked them to start paying for part of their healthcare premium. I'll repeat, start paying part of it. They wanted them to start paying something like $25/paycheck or about $50/month. They also wanted to impose co-pays (the number $10 sticks in my mind).

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by 4WD

That is exactly his point, if you read about when large unionized companies they went away from that system,. the non-unionized companies followed suit so they could compete.
His point is without the union he thinks companies would still pay you with their own currency that you could only spend in their town or their store.

That is all I really recall from the class I took in college.

That's a bingo.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

Temps are a workaround. They are not FTE-s and don't get any healthcare, etc. benefits. They are also paid less than an employees and there are no HR protections.

The only downside is that you pay a fee to the temp agency but overall, it's a cheaper labor source than hiring. No HR headaches, can get rid of them with very little notice.

Yep, I was a contractor for a company under the VA and that's exactly why the VA hired contractors instead of FTEs. The price the VA pays the contractor company per person is outrageously high too.

I've heard from some GM parts people that they are not getting their parts deliveries due to the strike. Not sure if it is nationwide or from parts from certain PDCs.

Originally Posted by oily boyd
My heart goes out to the workers who want/need to work during tbe strike.

Can't cross the picket line for obvious reasons but how do they deal with the financial aftermath?

At the plant near me, they get $250/week strike pay from the union hall based on walking the picket line a certain amount of hours/week.

I respect anyone who works for a living, but don't have much sympathy for a striking assembly line auto worker for many reasons.

Last edited:
I can admit I don't fully under unions and how they are good for either side, they seem to cause lots of issues. From my point of view, its a manufacturing job that doesn't require a ton of skill. Why does it seem like the unions are always asking for more? More money, more benefits etc, like it's some super difficult job to do. You stand on a [censored] line and assemble stuff... The strikes etc at auto plants has never made sense to me.

I work in IT at a midsize company that pay's market value. We don't have a 401K, our healthcare premiums went from free to partially paid by us as the company grew a few years ago. We didn't all strike and leave the company, that just seems absurd to turn your back on a company that provides for you.

Seems to me if you aren't happy in your job, think your underpaid, crap benefits etc go find a different job as I guarantee you, someone will be happy to fill your shoes. Just seems they are never happy.

Last edited:
No bingo … this GM Bucks line is

FECF2D90-29A5-4E09-9E42-8B0233D80A4C.jpeg

Originally Posted by 4WD
No bingo … this GM Bucks line is

What's that rag for? Leaky windshield?

Strikes never solve anything. If the workers get their increases and demands the company will work out the financials in other ways.

It should also be said, these workers work for the UAW, not GovMo. Their first and foremost allegiance is to the union. That is always a dividing issue at unionized companies.

It's a piece of rubber drawer liner I used to leave my phone on when the console was full of other junk

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Wages in Manufacturing in Mexico remained unchanged at 2.60 USD/Hour in June from 2.60 USD/Hour in May of 2019. Wages in Manufacturing in Mexico averaged 2.60 USD/Hour from 2007 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 3.80 USD/Hour in December of 2013 and a record low of 2 USD/Hour in January of 2017.

From a financial website.

What is the cost of living in Mexico , including taxes , graft , protection from criminals ?

With out that information , the other numbers do not mean a lot .

The wages where I live ( if you do not work in the petroleum job market ) are lower than other parts of the USA . But cost of living is less , too .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back