Cogeneration in China - Solar production

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Fascinating twitter thread by Seaver Wang:

Posting the contents here for ease of reading:

Seaver's thread:
Since I've mentioned this statistic to folks in some recent conversations, may as well share here. This single metals factory in the Xinjiang region has more onsite coal capacity (~5.1GW) than the power generation capacity of the whole country of Kenya (~3.1GW, 53 million ppl).
1689022373321.jpg

This facility (44.68N 89.1E) belongs to Xinjiang East Hope Nonferrous Metals and makes solar-grade polysilicon, aluminum and metallurgical-grade silicon. East Hope is under US govt sanctions for its plant's links to state-run Uyghur forced labor programs.
You can read more about the extensive forced labor, coal mining, coal energy, metals smelting, and "clean tech" manufacturing ecosystem in the Uyghur region in the following reports:

Sub thread:

In researching our Xinjiang solar supply chain report + learning about the province's coal landscape, an eye-opening finding was that there's an argument for revising the world ranking of largest coal plants.XJ hosts some of the highest concentrations of coal units in the world.
1689022664720.jpg

The above image shows the Wucaiwan Bei'er coal power plant and the Tianchi Energy Zhundong Wucaiwan coal power plant. While listed as two separate plants w different operators, practically this is one facility w 8x660MW units or 5.28GW. This would rank #6 if counted as one plant.
East Hope Metals Wucaiwan power station (12x350MW) + Guotai Xinhua Coal Chemical power station (2x350MW) + Dongming Plastic power station (2x100MW) = 5100MW total. This would rank #8.Perhaps the 8th largest coal plant in the world is linked to a solar-grade polysilicon fab.
I'll note the 1st + 2nd photos are just 15 km down the road from one another. But sure yes, technically these are multiple plants w different owners, constructed in different stages + at different times. Bundling in this way might shuffle the global ranking quite significantly.
Within a 20km x 24km grid of these two clusters of power plants are another *20* coal-fired units, making 44 units in total in this part of the Zhundong industrial park.The crazy thing was that companies were going to build *a dozen more* until national regulators stepped in.
On satellite imagery you can see that another 4x350MW of coal were under construction at East Hope's plant in the southeastern corner, with initial prep for large expansions of aluminum smelting capacity underway along the north side of the facility.
Here is the ranking from @GlobalEnergyMon's database. Certainly there are freaking big coal plants elsewhere in China + around the globe!But look in Google Earth at the Gobi Desert north of Ürümqi and the sheer concentration of mine-to-mouth industry truly stands out as unique.

1689022851688.jpg

Pictures are worth 1000 words each. The cover photo for @Yaqiu's excellent essay on authoritarian environmentalism in China shows the consequences of Xinjiang's coal industry clearly: thick smog and air pollution.Photo at approx 43.91N, 87.70E looking south.
1689022894950.jpg

*snip*
Xinjiang-produced solar commodities are also extremely carbon-intensive due to heavy use of coal power, heat, and coal-derived fuels.Such solar products are still net climate-beneficial, but cleaner production would greatly enhance clean energy potential of solar products.
1689023039787.jpg

Subthread link for the above, which goes into more detail that I'm not going to post, about how expansion of this is happening, can be found here:

Interesting bit is how insanely dirty this is, and that it takes basically 10 years, at the current emissions intensity of California's grid, to payback the CO2 emitted to produce it.

Now, figure the grid is like Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba or somewhere else with a fraction of the emissions intensity of China, does the panel EVER pay back its emissions?
Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 5.34.27 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 5.34.40 PM.jpg

This shouldn't surprise anybody who has even a little bit of knowledge about PV cell production in China.

However this makes Nuclear a great option for base load power. Use relatively clean power to produce cleaner power. That way PV cells aren't tied to as much carbon emissions.

So if we don't and or the EU doesn't do anything should we do nothing till rising temps and ocean water rise. If this doesn't scare he!! Out of USA when will it. When Florida , California coast are in the middle of the states. Colorado river dry up. When? When China population with 1.41billion with goes down to 1 billion?
Options Options that's find. We have the sharpest engineers we need them and people in power to LISTEN. Even a dumb pipefitter can see what is happening.

So if we don't and or the EU doesn't do anything should we do nothing till rising temps and ocean water rise. If this doesn't scare he!! Out of USA when will it. When Florida , California coast are in the middle of the states. Colorado river dry up. When? When China population with 1.41billion with goes down to 1 billion?
Options Options that's find. We have the sharpest engineers we need them and people in power to LISTEN. Even a dumb pipefitter can see what is happening.
It highlights the issue with having the entire PV supply chain in China, that's for sure. If we are truly concerned about emissions, panels made with clean electricity are going to have a much shorter breakeven period, and this becomes increasingly relevant the greener the grid they are going into is.

It highlights the issue with having the entire PV supply chain in China, that's for sure. If we are truly concerned about emissions, panels made with clean electricity are going to have a much shorter breakeven period, and this becomes increasingly relevant the greener the grid they are going into is.
Well, we are seeing a start, at least, to re-industrialize America, so maybe there's hope.
The new Intel plant in Ohio is one such example.

Maybe if some of our 'environmentalists' and SJWs protested in front of every Chinese Embassy in the world and boycotted all Chinese goods and all businesses and politicians who shill for China....they would listen....but I doubt it.

Well, we are seeing a start, at least, to re-industrialize America, so maybe there's hope.
The new Intel plant in Ohio is one such example.
I don't think so. What we are seeing is a great many plants shutting down, or being repurposed for low volume production, and new manufacturing plants being built in tax friendly, lower wage locations. The exception is the world of Elon Musk.

I can tell you in that in my travels, the businesses I count on can't produce or provide much of anything anymore. Thales Avionics/electrical, moved from NJ to FL, as an example. Lower costs were certainly a factor. Unitron in TX can't provide a new 400HZ power carts for years, and parts don't get shipped. So we wait to fix things, sometimes for 18 months. Want a GM EV? Nope. How about a Ford F150 EV? Despite the massive investment, they are not producing high volumes. Malco Eagle Grip (vise grip pliers), NOPE, It's a joke, really. My job has become exceedingly time consuming and difficult, I can't even get tires for the Gulfstream G600. Backorder for years.

President Reagan made a famous joke about how workers would wait 10 year to purchase a car, and had to decide whether to take delivery in the morning or afternoon, as the plumber was coming in the morning (10 years in the future). Well, the joke's on us.

Back