Thoughts on a Ram Tradesman truck?

No one wants 2WD here
That is what makes a RWD (2WD) so attractive to someone that needs a truck for non-off road use. A RWD truck can be purchased at a very substantial discount when compared to its exact 4WD counterpart.

Of note- what is the first thing many owners of brand new Super Dutys do as soon as they pull out of the Ford dealership? They head over to a wheel dealer, pull off their 18" Michelin Defenders and install some blacked out 20-22 wheels with Chinese tires.

I buy my Michelin Defender truck tires from new Super Duty truck owners regularly.

Last edited:
We have a 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Quad Cab Trademan 4x4 that we bought in early 2018. We've racked up a little over 70,000 on it with probably 95% highway driving. I used it to move our household from the Chicago suburbs to the Missouri Ozarks, so it's done quite a bit of towing. On a 1200 mile trip to Florida last fall, we averaged 22 MPG for the round trip. We've been very happy with the truck and have had no problems at all.

Of note- what is the first thing many owners of brand new Super Dutys do as soon as they pull out of the Ford dealership? They head over to a wheel dealer, pull off their 18" Michelin Defenders and install some blacked out 20-22 wheels with Chinese tires.

Up here, they pull out and go to work. There are not as many bling trucks here as down South.

The 5.7 is sorted and solid, the 8 speed ZF is bulletproof. You have plenty of happy miles ahead.
You have some big blinders on ! All sorted uh , they haven't changed anything . Best friend has a new 5.7 and it's sitting at the dealer now waiting for a new engine . Cams all tore up .

You have some big blinders on ! All sorted uh , they haven't changed anything . Best friend has a new 5.7 and it's sitting at the dealer now waiting for a new engine . Cams all tore up .
They've changed the lifters at least three, possibly four times now. While inconvenient and unfortunate for your friend, the overall rate of lifter failure is extremely low.

They've changed the lifters at least three, possibly four times now. While inconvenient and unfortunate for your friend, the overall rate of lifter failure is extremely low.
Yeah it is unfortunate , you could hear it coming on . Slight tick then louder over a week or so , then bad news . Dealer said no free rentals he complained enough that they found a used Compass for him. He is 6'4" pushing 4 bills . He is not happy . No engines available . But for some reason they have engines for new trucks being made every day .

Yeah it is unfortunate , you could hear it coming on . Slight tick then louder over a week or so , then bad news . Dealer said no free rentals he complained enough that they found a used Compass for him. He is 6'4" pushing 4 bills . He is not happy . No engines available . But for some reason they have engines for new trucks being made every day .
Often they don't even tick at all, they just make a "chirping" sound. Sounds like a crap dealer, mine would put him in a loaner no questions asked.

Just to add , the truck wouldn't accept fuel a while back . I asked him do you stuff your tank full , of course he said yes . I fill till it spits back out at me . I thought everyone knew that was bad by now . Lol

I have a 20, but the new body style. Same 5.7/ZF8 2WD powertrain, but with eTorque.

Aside from questionable workmanship during assembly and FCA's usage of questionable suppliers, the truck has been great. I'm sure you will be happy with yours.

I agree with Overkill. I had a couple of friends that had the cam issue (especially on the earlier models) but the vast majority with the newer 345 and 392 in both cars and trucks have had very little problem. The local State Troopers tell me the issue is very rare on both their newer Chargers and Tahoes (GM had similar problem with lifters from the same company).

Fortunately, I was able to transfer my used-car warranty from the Ford over to the Ram. 2 years or 20,000 miles. Don't expect anything to go wrong, but, you never know.

I had a 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4 Hemi.

I used it for a few projects, but saw that I wasn’t using it enough to justify the hit at the fuel pump.

I traded it for more than I paid and got a Jeep Wrangler. Yep, I can’t haul with it, but I am reinstating two parked trucks to take up the slack (99 Dodge Ram 5.9 and a 99 GMC Suburban K2500 454 V8). Yes, they need some attention but they will fill in for what I need to do.

I will always be on the lookout for a clean regular cab short bed 4x4 pickup. I like their simplicity vs the mega cab trucks these days. 😁

I had a 2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman with the 6.4 Hemi.

I used it for a few projects, but saw that I wasn’t using it enough to justify the hit at the fuel pump.

I traded it for more than I paid and got a Jeep Wrangler. Yep, I can’t haul with it, but I am reinstating two parked trucks to take up the slack (99 Dodge Ram 5.9 and a 99 GMC Suburban K2500 454 V8). Yes, they need some attention but they will fill in for what I need to do.

I will always be on the lookout for a clean regular cab short bed 4x4 pickup. I like their simplicity vs the mega cab trucks these days. 😁

Have a friend that has a 2020 F150 RCSB XL 4x4 with 3 options. 5.0 V-8, Elocker 3.73 (includes upgrade to 9.75" Rear Axle), Rear Hitch Option. That comes with a 7,000 lb tow rating so gives him enough GCWR to to load the truck and pull his 5,000 lb trailer. About as simple as you can get anymore.

Back