How much is my truck worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 7 month old F-150 and there are several things I'm not happy with. Thinking of looking at a new RAM before Christmas, or even a 2019 F-150 when they come out hoping some of the issues with the 2018 are resolved, but not if I'd take a huge hit on my truck. It is too new to get a good value from a place like Edmunds. I know some people here work for dealerships.

2018 XLT Sport SuperCrew
302A package
BLIS system
Backup sensors
5.0L with the 10 speed
LED under mirror lights
Tow package
3.55 gear ratio with electronic locking rear axle
XLT Power Equipment Group package (that includes the box lights and interior outlet and power sliding rear window)
8" Sync 3 touch screen with navigation
Sync Connect

Bought late February. Currently has 6,700 miles.

Blue box sticker was $52,200.

It has aftermarket:
- spray in bedliner
-soft tonneau cover (Truxedo X15 model - about $550 most places installed)
- rear wheel well liners
- weather tech mud flaps on all four wheels
- has been sprayed underneath with Fluid Film
- laser measures floor liners in front and back (Bizon brand - not as good as Husky or Weather Tech but still nice)

Any ideas on what it is reasonably worth on trade? I don't want to go to a dealer and be hassled to get a value, especially when I'm not sure I want to change.

KBB is giving me an upper range trade in value of about $31,000. Did not see options to select some of your upgrades but doubt they would add a whole lot. Depreciation on new vehicles for up to 5 years is simply brutal.

I'm definitely interested as well to know what you don't like about your truck. I've only ever heard good things about the 5.0L F-150s.

It's worth what someone would pay for it.
If you trade in, bring an extra shirt, because you'll lose the one you are wearing.
Cheaper to keeper.

Small block in a super crew. Not good.

you loose 10K driving off the lot on a trade

Maybe near high 30's private sale if dealers are 41-44 out the door.

Don't trade!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

5.0L TI-VCT V8. This legendary Ford V8 delivers even more muscle than ever and delivers best-in-class* payload. Experience robust 395 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque, thanks to twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) and new direct injection (DI).

Looks pretty healthy to me.

Do you have a Carmax nearby? Something like that they'll be aggressive with. A late model, low miles unit that they'll put on their lot they'll offer top dollar on.

If you live in a state where you only pay sales tax on the difference between the new car purchase and trade, it'll probably be worth it to trade. You can use the Carmax offer to negotiate with the dealer you're buying from. I've never had them not match the Carmax offer, but it might take a couple back and forths!

Just as a guess....

If it's NOT 4x4, then I'd say you should be happy to sell privately (as long as it's under 15k miles) for $38-$40k. $3-4K more if it's 4x4.

While I can't speak to actual resale value, private or otherwise, I can say one thing -

You're going to lose your shirt selling it at this point. Might as well sell it in Atlantis, because you're going to be massively underwater.

I'm not sure we have enough facts yet to make that conclusion. He told us the list price (I think, not knowing what "blue box" means), not his actual purchase price.
My last 2 trucks (Chevy) were purchased new at enough of a discount off of factory list they could have been traded in at the 2 year point for within $1k of the purchase price. In fact one was.
Of course, if he paid close to list with additional dealer made up charges like doc fees, etc. he's going to take a beating.

It is 4x4. I guess I took that for granted... here you can hardly buy a truck off the lot that isn't 4x4. No Carmax nearby.

I paid $40,200, which was about $1000 under invoice then $6500 in incentives. At the time it was about $1500 cheaper than other local dealers. Right now locally prices are approximately what they were then (truck discounts have sucked since April or May). "Blue Box" for Ford is MSRP after "package discounts."

I'm worried about the engine long-term. It has the VCT solenoid rattle when letting the foot off the gas. It is very prevalent and Ford doesn't know how to fix, or even have an explination as to why it does it, so they are saying it is "normal." The worry is that it is the timing chain against the guides. I also have the driveline clunk when letting foot off the gas (I had a 1995 Ranger that did the same thing, so not too worried, but a new truck in 2018 should not have this). The seat back also has a ghost in it and moves on its own if left overnight (seems like a lot of people wih 2015+ have this). And the transmission isn't calibrated correctly, even after TSB 17-2262 (which was a big improvement). It needs a further update to the software to drive well. Lastly I have gotten the "pop" (sounds like a shotgun or backfire) a few times that people have complained about when letting foot off the gas at about 35 mph after fairly heavy acceleration (I don't gas it much so it is rare on mine, but it has happened at times).

I was thinking north of $35k anyway. Edmunds doesn't even have the trim and cab configuration on there. NADA doesn't have all the options available to list that are on mine, but based on putting in the best I could it came up with $37k+. I paid $40,200 about. A local "no hassle" dealer has a 2018 XLT Sport with double the miles (15k) that is lacking about $3k worth of options mine has (no navigation, no locking diff, etc.) for $38k. I figure if I could get near that on trade, considering mine has less miles and many more options, it might be worth it.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
I'm worried about the engine long-term. It has the VCT solenoid rattle when letting the foot off the gas. It is very prevalent and Ford doesn't know how to fix, or even have an explination as to why it does it, so they are saying it is "normal." The worry is that it is the timing chain against the guides.

Only when letting off the gas or at light throttle? The Mustang guys have noticed that the dual injected 5.0 sounds weird and has odd rattles at part throttle. The prevailing theory is that it's the high pressure fuel system. Some have had issues with the bores and had their shortblock replaced.

I'd let the dealer sort the rest out - some of that seems to be on all F150's - the clunking in particular. Others seems like a new calibration is needed (the popback).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RTexasF
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

5.0L TI-VCT V8. This legendary Ford V8 delivers even more muscle than ever and delivers best-in-class* payload. Experience robust 395 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque, thanks to twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) and new direct injection (DI).

Looks pretty healthy to me.

My thought too. What else are you going to get in an F-150. They don't make a big block? I have one and there is plenty of power.

I am guessing it's worth about 60-70% of list given the mileage and condition. Maybe try selling it privately?

Originally Posted by SirTanon
While I can't speak to actual resale value, private or otherwise, I can say one thing -

You're going to lose your shirt selling it at this point. Might as well sell it in Atlantis, because you're going to be massively underwater.
Lol, good one!

I would think it could sell for about 3-4k less than what the same thing can be purchased for with great negotiating. So my 60 second analysis of the price puts it in the neighborhood of $39000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back