Thoughts on a Ram Tradesman truck?

Traded in my F-150 a couple days ago for a 2018 Dodge Ram 4x2 with the Tradesman trim. Basically, no fancy electronics or hoopty-dos in it. 5.7L Hemi with 74,000 miles.

Anyone have experience with this particular ride? It's in great shape. Smooth driving. Tonneau bed cover, towing hitch. Great Carfax.

Just looking for opinions or experiences. Thanks!

Resized_20220305_184612.jpeg

Traded in my F-150 a couple days ago for a 2018 Dodge Ram 4x2 with the Tradesman trim. Basically, no fancy electronics or hoopty-dos in it. 5.7L Hemi with 74,000 miles.

Anyone have experience with this particular ride? It's in great shape. Smooth driving. Tonneau bed cover, towing hitch. Great Carfax.

Just looking for opinions or experiences. Thanks!

View attachment 91627
I like the truck itself. Don't be fooled however because you may not have any fancy infotainment systems power seats, whatever, there is PLENTY of electronics you can't see that deal with both transmission and engine management.

I like the truck itself. Don't be fooled however because you may not have any fancy infotainment systems power seats, whatever, there is PLENTY of electronics you can't see that deal with both transmission and engine management.
Oh, I'm sure there's lots of electronic goodies in it. I was just referring to touchscreens, buttons galore, WiFi-equipped doodads, etc. Stuff that takes a Master's Degree to figure out how to use. 😋

Nice truck !

I have seen 100's of Rams that I appraise as part of trade in, and have put through recon process.
Common issue at those miles are front axles/diff, which is not an issue with a 4x2, exhaust manifolds need gaskets or replacement.
That's about it.
Nobody uses the E Brake which is a $1000 job on Rams, to get it operable and pass a safety inspection.
Recommend a fluid change for the transmission if you can't determine its been done, CARFAX record is useful for that.
Rear diff fluid change as well.

Had this '16 Tradesman with the V6 for a while. Had all the power it needed and could get mid-upper 20s mpg when driven with restraint. Anyone with a hemi is going to be hurting when they fill up these days.

005.jpg

Thanks, everyone! Carfax shows it's had regular maintenance, but, I'll have all the fluids checked, just in case. I agree that gas will be a b****. It's currently around $3.40 on average here.

Had this '16 Tradesman with the V6 for a while. Had all the power it needed and could get mid-upper 20s mpg when driven with restraint. Anyone with a hemi is going to be hurting when they fill up these days.

View attachment 91670
You can get 25mpg consistently w/the 5.3 Silverado on the highway at 70mph or under. But yeah-city mpg suffers with a V8.

I wouldn't personally get a 2WD truck unless it was a med-duty stake, but that's me. Otherwise, they are fine trucks. My brother in Rhode Island has a 4WD short box with 3.92 axles and the thing rips.

FWIW, your truck will probably get 4-5mpg's more than my wife's Stinger. LOL

I wouldn't personally get a 2WD truck unless it was a med-duty stake, but that's me. Otherwise, they are fine trucks. My brother in Rhode Island has a 4WD short box with 3.92 axles and the thing rips.

FWIW, your truck will probably get 4-5mpg's more than my wife's Stinger. LOL
I have two F350s, one 4wd, one Rwd. My trucks have lived in every corner of the USA. 4wd is nice to have, but not a necessity for most pickup truck users.

With fuel prices where they are, a Rwd typically gets better fuel mileage, and have fewer mechanical things to maintain and/ or break. I would have zero issues selecting a nicely priced and maintained Rwd pickup over an inflated priced 4WD. I do want to note, I use my trucks for hauling and towing- not for off roading.

Last edited:
I would prefer a 4x4, but, 2WD is OK for life here in Arizona. As for gas mileage, it's rated for 17-25 mpg overall. My Ford, even with the V6, was getting 15-20.

View attachment 91670
If I drive like a sensible, reasonable human being my Ram averages 17mpg in mixed driving, highway driving averages low to mid 20’s. Our minivan doesn’t really do any better.

I have two F350s, one 4wd, one Rwd. My trucks have lived in every corner of the USA. 4wd is nice to have, but not a necessity for most pickup truck users.

With fuel prices where they are, a Rwd typically gets better fuel mileage, and have fewer mechanical things to maintain and/ or break. I would have zero issues selecting a nicely priced and maintained Rwd pickup over an inflated priced 4WD. I do want to note, I use my trucks for hauling and towing- not for off roading.

That's why I said me personally. I had a nice '83 C30 stake for hauling years ago, but it was a pain because we couldn't take it to where the logs were. The rear 14 bolt had a locker and disk conversion too.

I will say up here in winter, 2WD sucks. You can do it, if you're careful and all that, but why? They just don't sell. No one wants 2WD here because when you need it, you really need it and most are not worried about the 1-2mpg penalty (I get that back when my wife doesn't drive the truck - lol). Hauling the ATV's or sleds up North is also safer for us and I don't think I would try without 4WD.

My wife's parents have a farm in GA and my FIL just bought a new Ram 2WD. It hauls the horses and hay and tractor very well, but he did get it stuck a bit during a heavy rain. I poked a bit of fun at him.

Back