How much is my truck worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I myself always wonder why newish low-mile vehicles are for sale.
Sounds like you've had some issues with this truck.
Are these documented with the selling dealer under warranty?
That alone will reduce this truck's value, since any dealer taking it on trade will get those records and any hallway savvy buyer will have you get them printed off as well.
Bottom line is that you'll get hosed in getting rid of this truck.
If it's worth it to you, then do it.
Remember that whatever you replace it with may have issues of its own.
Your posts in this thread make me chuckle about the purported durability and reliability of trucks versus the better passenger cars, particularly since Ford is the largest selling brand.

There is a new TSB of a new PCM update that makes the driving characteristics much better (TSB 18-2274). People on the F150 forum are raving about it. I have an appt on Tuesday to get it done, along with the seat belt recall. One person said it fixed the off-throttle rattle, as well. If it does those two things I'll keep the truck. Still going to drive over to the Ram dealer that day and see ballpark what they'd give for the truck, knowing I could get more with haggling.

In Feb the Ford was by far the best truck on the market, but the new Ram seems really nice. I worry about the reliability of Ram especially being a new model, not crazy about the made in Mexico Hemi, and wheel well rust. Toyota is also supposed to come out with a new truck in 2020. Wanted to like the 2018 Ram but it drove too "heavy." I do like how agile the F150 is. Didn't consider GM due to direct injection and crew cabs made in Mexico, Titan is a joke, and Toyota gets 17 mpg hwy.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
There is a new TSB of a new PCM update that makes the driving characteristics much better (TSB 18-2274). People on the F150 forum are raving about it. I have an appt on Tuesday to get it done, along with the seat belt recall. One person said it fixed the off-throttle rattle, as well. If it does those two things I'll keep the truck. Still going to drive over to the Ram dealer that day and see ballpark what they'd give for the truck, knowing I could get more with haggling.

In Feb the Ford was by far the best truck on the market, but the new Ram seems really nice. I worry about the reliability of Ram especially being a new model, not crazy about the made in Mexico Hemi, and wheel well rust. Toyota is also supposed to come out with a new truck in 2020. Wanted to like the 2018 Ram but it drove too "heavy." I do like how agile the F150 is. Didn't consider GM due to direct injection and crew cabs made in Mexico, Titan is a joke, and Toyota gets 17 mpg hwy.

So NO GM due to DI, and no Toyota cause 17MPG? My Mexican made GMC with DI, and a 6.2L, can get 22-23 highway. Its also made it through its entire powertrain warranty without any dealer repairs. Knock on wood! You either go DI or your MPG is bad.

Originally Posted by dareo

So NO GM due to DI, and no Toyota cause 17MPG? My Mexican made GMC with DI, and a 6.2L, can get 22-23 highway. Its also made it through its entire powertrain warranty without any dealer repairs. Knock on wood! You either go DI or your MPG is bad.

Yup, basically. Might wait to see what the new F150 is like in a few years, or the new Toyota. Really, I hope this TSB fixes these two main issues and then I'll be happy. Probably happy enough to put in the 8" driver's display cluster mod and LED headlights and hopefully keep it a while. Currently the drive ability is just not good, though.

[/quote]
Currently the drive ability is just not good, though.[/quote]

Nothing worse than hating something you
Have yo drive every day.

Anyone looking to buy is going to want to either save a big chunk from what the dealers are selling the new ones for, or to get it cheap enough to flip it and make 4 or 5 thousand on the transaction.

How much is it worth to you to sell and get a different vehicle is the question?

I recently helped some people find a 15+ used F150, they had to have that BLIS system that yours has, so good call in getting that. Nearly every used truck we looked at was imported from Canada. Dealers are so desperate for a used F150 that they buy in Canada, import, change the cluster, and resell. I'm not sure what your state/regional market is like but in Utah an F150 is very hot.

It is 4x4. I guess I took that for granted... here you can hardly buy a truck off the lot that isn't 4x4. No Carmax nearby.

I paid $40,200, which was about $1000 under invoice then $6500 in incentives. At the time it was about $1500 cheaper than other local dealers. Right now locally prices are approximately what they were then (truck discounts have sucked since April or May). "Blue Box" for Ford is MSRP after "package discounts."

I'm worried about the engine long-term. It has the VCT solenoid rattle when letting the foot off the gas. It is very prevalent and Ford doesn't know how to fix, or even have an explination as to why it does it, so they are saying it is "normal." The worry is that it is the timing chain against the guides. I also have the driveline clunk when letting foot off the gas (I had a 1995 Ranger that did the same thing, so not too worried, but a new truck in 2018 should not have this). The seat back also has a ghost in it and moves on its own if left overnight (seems like a lot of people wih 2015+ have this). And the transmission isn't calibrated correctly, even after TSB 17-2262 (which was a big improvement). It needs a further update to the software to drive well. Lastly I have gotten the "pop" (sounds like a shotgun or backfire) a few times that people have complained about when letting foot off the gas at about 35 mph after fairly heavy acceleration (I don't gas it much so it is rare on mine, but it has happened at times).

I was thinking north of $35k anyway. Edmunds doesn't even have the trim and cab configuration on there. NADA doesn't have all the options available to list that are on mine, but based on putting in the best I could it came up with $37k+. I paid $40,200 about. A local "no hassle" dealer has a 2018 XLT Sport with double the miles (15k) that is lacking about $3k worth of options mine has (no navigation, no locking diff, etc.) for $38k. I figure if I could get near that on trade, considering mine has less miles and many more options, it might be worth it.

Sorry drive line clunk is prevalent and it's on GM trucks as well. After having a 2013 GM truck and then buying a new (2018) one-they have minimized the clunking. Also, the six speeds in the GM trucks-while being fairly reliable-and not that refined. SO-what I'm telling you is yes-some of this stuff you need to learn to live with-or pay the price.

Originally Posted by 93cruiser
Hold onto it, trade it on the new Tundra design. Hoping it is out in 2020

I will be interesting to see if the sales "spike" and to what degree if this redesign happens. My prediction is that they will not steal many sales from Ford, GM, and RAM no matter how great of a truck it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back