thoughts on a KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'd steer clear, but that's just me. I've read too many articles about Kia early engine failures not being taken care of under warranty.

I know someone who is on their third engine in less than 30,000 miles
whistle.gif

Not sure what your friends are doing, but what are other friends' opinions of Hyundai since they use the exact same powertrains?

No offence, but, "trust but verify". I simply do not believe "your friends"...

I have a 2012 Sorento at 90k. No issues. I've only taken it in for oil changes and tranny fluid change. No issues. I'm considering the 2018 KIA Stinger as my next vehicle as it will be a hatchback. Obviously no issues with the brand for me. I am aware of the engine recall but that only affects a small percentage of owners.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
Op asked about if anyone had experience with KIA.
Whats your point ?

Reliable enough but ergonomics and trim not as good as other main brands. IMHO.

Originally Posted By: ediamiam
I have a 2012 Sorento at 90k. No issues. I've only taken it in for oil changes and tranny fluid change. No issues. I'm considering the 2018 KIA Stinger as my next vehicle as it will be a hatchback. Obviously no issues with the brand for me. I am aware of the engine recall but that only affects a small percentage of owners.

thumbsup2.gif

We have two KIA's in the family, our 2012 Sedona and my daughter's 2015 Soul. We have had the Sedona nearly 6 years and it's been a great purchase. The Soul was bought due to satisfaction with the Sedona and it hasn't disappointed although it had a few recall tweaks when new.

The Sedona has Hyundai's 3.5 Lambda II v6 which is a power house and has been trouble free.

I have driven domestics almost exclusively since the 80's, and I will tell you the build quality on the KIA's is better.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
Op asked about if anyone had experience with KIA.
Whats your point ?

I have a 2015 KIA Rio and a 2016 Kia Sorento. Wouldn't have spent my money on them if I wasn't confident in the brand, aaaand back to you Neely.

Originally Posted By: Arkandspark
I have no experience with them, but I would have a hard time driving something that was an acronym for killed in action.

I heard the POW-MIA groups tried to get Kia to change their name for this reason

I had an Azera for 4 years (same car under the skin as a Cadenza). It was the worst car I ever owned.

Originally Posted By: wag123
I had an Azera for 4 years (same car under the skin as a Cadenza). It was the worst car I ever owned.

please elaborate

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: wag123

please elaborate

Yep- I love these "hit and run" posts...............

Last edited:
The engine issues are believed to be a fuel dilution issue with using 5w20 in the 2.4. For this reason I switched to a 5w30 this last oil change. I'm sure there are some other failures, but every company has some sort of failure rate. Heck my buddies 2.0 2014 ford Focus is having consumption issues at 60k miles. Ford themselves are starting to go back to 5w30.

But in nearly 50k miles, this car has been a pleasure to own. No complaints, Hyundai's customer service so far has been great.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'd steer clear, but that's just me. I've read too many articles about Kia early engine failures not being taken care of under warranty.

I know someone who is on their third engine in less than 30,000 miles
whistle.gif

FWIW: They have a really good recall situation going on with unlimited miles and 15 years on affected engines at no charge (rental included). Hyundai didn't handle the same issue (same engine plant) nearly as well but that could change.

I've got 63K miles on my hot '12 Optima SX and it's running strong. One of the best cars I've ever owned and I'm picky (Engineer).

They must really fall apart after the initial break in period

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car...tudy/103050990/

For a second straight year, Kia has taken the top spot in one of the auto industry's most closely watched quality surveys.

Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, VW-no love here on BITOG. But hey.....how about those 15 year old Crown Vics...........

Last edited:
The K.I.A. Cadenza is made in Hwasung, South Korea. Good luck getting parts for it after the Hwasongs go airborne.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The K.I.A. Cadenza is made in Hwasung, South Korea. Good luck getting parts for it after the Hwasongs go airborne.

Really.....I mean really? Is that the best you can come up with?

Do you have a 15 year old Crown Vic by any chance?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

LOL I have an 18 year old Mustang GT with basically the same drivetrain as the Vic. Kia could only wish their cars will be as reliable.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Would you buy a road-mobile KIA vehicle from Hwasung, while the road-mobile Hwasong and its corresponding vehicle is made to create the highest KIA numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back